It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• Spiro cured my acne

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-19-2008, 05:21 AM   #16
    kilgore52
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

kilgore52 HB User
    Re: Spiro cured my acne

my face was oily and cystic,. I tried accutane and every antibiotic and topical for years and nothing worked. Mine is hormonal and I have the gene that causes this as it does run in my family.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-14-2009, 06:49 PM   #17
    Arelias
    (female)

Arelias HB User

Hello everyone, I'm taking yasmin and 100mg of spiro and I am hitting my 3rd week. how long does it take to see results? I had a bad breakout with a ton of whiteheads and pink ones tender to the touch. I was wondering if this is normal? I was on yaz(yaz cleared all my little pimples but it created huge painful underthe skin ones that scarred my face terribly) for 6 months and I switched to yasmin thinking it was going to get better but it got worse so I started spiro and I had a huge intial breakout that my face hurts. I'm just wondering if this is normal, I also feel a little warmer and tend to want to sweat. would like to know if anyone else has experienced this.. I need a little encouragement that I'm not alone =/

Old 06-15-2009, 09:03 PM   #18
    kilgore52
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

kilgore52 HB User

HEllo. Please hang in there. It is too soon to see big improvement yet. It was probably on the 3rd month that I had good skin and then on the 5th month, i had flawless skin. 100 was not enough for me after the 3rd week. I jumped to 150 for two weeks and then 200 and am on Yaz too.That amount was the max and then i was really clear and have been for a year now. It is great with no side affects for me. I have bloodwork and I'm always fine. I have found several doctors that don't go past 100mgs, but my first doctor out of state who only deals with acne says to do the trick for hormonal women is 200mgs. I know that it is the amount I need to clear my cystic acne. I will take this until I have children and then I will have to start after children cause I will not ever get rid of it until menopause begins when i'm older. That's how it runs in my family with the women. I'm not looking forward to getting off though cause the problem comes back. Sad but true. Spiro prevents but doesn't cure. Nothing really does when you are hormonally vulnerable. I wish I had known about this earlier in life. I would have been so much happier in college. Good luck.

Old 06-16-2009, 08:52 AM   #19
    Arelias
    (female)

Arelias HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kilgore52 View Post
    HEllo. Please hang in there. It is too soon to see big improvement yet. It was probably on the 3rd month that I had good skin and then on the 5th month, i had flawless skin. 100 was not enough for me after the 3rd week. I jumped to 150 for two weeks and then 200 and am on Yaz too.That amount was the max and then i was really clear and have been for a year now. It is great with no side affects for me. I have bloodwork and I'm always fine. I have found several doctors that don't go past 100mgs, but my first doctor out of state who only deals with acne says to do the trick for hormonal women is 200mgs. I know that it is the amount I need to clear my cystic acne. I will take this until I have children and then I will have to start after children cause I will not ever get rid of it until menopause begins when i'm older. That's how it runs in my family with the women. I'm not looking forward to getting off though cause the problem comes back. Sad but true. Spiro prevents but doesn't cure. Nothing really does when you are hormonally vulnerable. I wish I had known about this earlier in life. I would have been so much happier in college. Good luck.
    well thank you so much... its just soo frustrating to look around and see people with beautiful skin and yoiu look in the mirror and you full of acne. Acne is like the worst thing that has plagued my life and I want to defeat it once in for all! I have 2 more weeks left of my spiro and I'm going to see my dermatologist soon so I'll ask him to bump me tp 200 mgs. when you started the 200mgs, did you see dramatic improvement or did you still experience downtime? thanks so much for your advice.

Old 06-16-2009, 12:18 PM   #20
    Arelias
    (female)

Arelias HB User

also did you experience another initial breakout when you upped your dose to 200mgs?

Old 06-16-2009, 05:50 PM   #21
    kilgore52
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

kilgore52 HB User

The 4th and 5th month is when it was flawless. The cysts left around the 3rd month. They upped dosage to 200mgs and no outbreaks from upping it. It only got better. The low dosage for me isn't enough and that is why people have poor results. I may have had just a couple of bumps here and there but no cysts. Your doctor may not want to go that high, but I would at least get to 150 if he will. I took the blood tests and found that I have hormonal type and most well informed doctors know that for pcos and mine is mild, this is the dosage. My hair is thick, my skin is great, my weight and water retension is great. I have no side effects. If you don't know what pcos is, then you can look it up on the web.

Last edited by kilgore52; 06-16-2009 at 07:30 PM.

Old 06-17-2009, 10:06 AM   #22
    Arelias
    (female)

Arelias HB User

I don't think I have Pcos but I should check. My skin is not cystic, I just always breakout with a million of small white heads and papules. That is like the hardest to treat. I also do at home 35% glycolic peels that seems to improve my skin for the first couple of days but then it goes down the drain. At thr end of my 4 weeks, Ill be seeing my dermatologist to see if he could up my dose. hopefully yes because I've about had it with acne.

Old 06-18-2009, 07:33 PM   #23
    kilgore52
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

kilgore52 HB User

The websites say that Spiro works for the hormonal type and sometimes not for regular acne. See, yours sounds like surface bumps since it is not cystic. Some people like Retin A for whiteheads. Cystic come from many layers way down in the dermis. The fester and come to the surface as a knot. The sore part and damage is underneath the skin and it just stays there and runs it course. The length of tome it stays is why it scars.The surface is usually hard and underneath real sore. Sort of like a boil. Some are small and some a big. This has to do with sebem and hormones are usually out of whack. Good luck and make sure you get a good doctor like an endocrinologist

Last edited by kilgore52; 06-18-2009 at 07:33 PM.

Old 06-19-2009, 03:52 PM   #24
    dare2bedifferen
    (female)

dare2bedifferen HB User

so glad to read everyone's feedback. When I go to the dermatologist I'm going ask him about Spiro

Old 06-20-2009, 10:36 AM   #25
    Arelias
    (female)

Arelias HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kilgore52 View Post
    The websites say that Spiro works for the hormonal type and sometimes not for regular acne. See, yours sounds like surface bumps since it is not cystic. Some people like Retin A for whiteheads. Cystic come from many layers way down in the dermis. The fester and come to the surface as a knot. The sore part and damage is underneath the skin and it just stays there and runs it course. The length of tome it stays is why it scars.The surface is usually hard and underneath real sore. Sort of like a boil. Some are small and some a big. This has to do with sebem and hormones are usually out of whack. Good luck and make sure you get a good doctor like an endocrinologist
    thanks, I'm just praying to god something works. but I've tried EVERYTHING under the sun. retin-a made my face always so dry and peely no matter how much moisturizer I put on. ithe only thing that really worked for me was Doxycycline but I had to stop taking it due to insurance and that made my skin beautiful... but towards the end (I was taking it for about a year) my skin still broke out in little papules here in there. have u heard anything about as far as good results by taking doxy and spiro? But anyways, I'm nearing my 1 month and my skin is not where I want it to be. hopefully 2 months & an increased dose witll wrk.. I just don't want to suffer from another initial outbreak though.

Old 06-20-2009, 01:42 PM   #26
    kilgore52
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

kilgore52 HB User

I asked dermo yesterday for you and they said yours sounds like rosacia. She said the whiteheads and then papules seem to be that. She named special meds for that. I don't remember the names though. If yours are hormonal then spiro is al you need not with Doxy too. You HAVE to be patient though. They don't go away until the 4th or 5th month. GOTTA WAIT IT OUT. Don't give up. You have to increase it up at least to 150mgs Spiro. Do you have some facial hair or slight hair loss?

Old 06-21-2009, 09:25 AM   #27
    Arelias
    (female)

Arelias HB User

No I don't think it's roscacia.. if I'm not mistaken, rosacia looks almost like a rash but mine is just straight up acne. I have seen some improvements so far though, my face is less oily, my facial hair is growing less and my I can go 3 days without washing my hair which awesome but its not doing the job I want it to be doing. I still get 2-4 new pimples a day and its more around my jawline and I'm breaking out on my forehead which is weird because I never break out on my forehead. I'm going to the dermatologist on wed to get my spiro increased and would u recommend any good topical medication besides retin-a? I appreciate you asking your dermo for me, that was very thoughtful and I appreciate you helping me through this it really encourages me to follow through with spiro.

Old 06-21-2009, 01:21 PM   #28
    kilgore52
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

kilgore52 HB User

Your welcome. Yes with your symptoms, it does sound hormonal and it is going to work since you told me about the less facial hair. I also got some on my forehead around that time and it will all stop when you increase and let it do it's job in the coming months. Cetaphil is a good lite wash cause you may get dry skin soon. I really didn't need a topical. The topical was the reason I started breaking out again and it was on my forhead like yours. Right know you have the old buried bumps coming out and when they clear then you will be so happy. Again patience when you up the dose. I forgot what dose you are on now, but 150 and 200max is what it will take.

Old 06-21-2009, 06:44 PM   #29
    Arelias
    (female)

Arelias HB User

I know I just need to ride it out. I'm just annoyed that's all. I'm currently taking 100mgs of the spiro. I use the purpose bar of soap and that's gentle on my skin so I'm going to stick with that. but, I am considering asking my derma for bactrim to help with the acne while the spiro kicks in. I've read reviews on bactrim and it seems to help people a lot but the side affects are what scary. but I don't care, i d rather feel like crap physically then have really low self esteem. I'm counting the days until my derm appt so I can get the meds!

Old 06-21-2009, 11:42 PM   #30
    kesae
    (female)

kesae HB User

I alternate between 150mg and 200mg because my derm prescribed 150mg a day. The 150mg helps but the 200mg a day is what works.

Closed Thread