It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• Spiro cured my acne

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-21-2009, 11:48 PM   #31
    kesae
    (female)

kesae HB User
    Re: Spiro cured my acne

The last time I saw my derm I told her my face still gets a red hue when the oil comes and so she prescribed a cleanser that has a sulfur base. Its called pracision cleanser. Its suppose to dry the skin while treating the bacteria. Maybe you could ask your derm about it. It does have a sulfer smell though after you wash and dried your face.

Last edited by kesae; 06-21-2009 at 11:59 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-21-2009, 11:50 PM   #32
    kilgore52
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

kilgore52 HB User

yes, your derm can answer your antibiotic. I don't know about taking antibiotics with Spiro. Do you take a bcp too? Anyway, the less you take antibiotics the better for you immune system. Good luck. It will work

Old 06-21-2009, 11:52 PM   #33
    kilgore52
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

kilgore52 HB User

Hi. How long have you been on spiro?

Old 06-23-2009, 11:11 AM   #34
    Arelias
    (female)

Arelias HB User

I've been taking Spiro for about a month and my derm appt is in 2 days so I'm not sure if I should ask him to bump me up to 200mgs or get bactrim for the time being. I've read some reviews on taking the two and people said they received drastic results in 3 weeks. I am also taking yasmin.. I was on yaz for 6 months and I shud have stayed on it.. it cleared my acne somewhat but every since I've been on yasmin (just finished my 2nd month) my skin really changed(its strange).

Old 06-23-2009, 02:53 PM   #35
    kilgore52
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

kilgore52 HB User

Yes ,Yasmin is stronger than Yaz. Yaz is the mini pill. I really feel that a month has been plenty of time to up to 150mgs and then in 3 weeks to 200mgs, that is if you need it up to 200. Bactrim is a very strong antibiotic and i personally have never heard of it for acne. Doxy is the one most recommended that I know of. What is your dose now?

Last edited by kilgore52; 06-23-2009 at 02:54 PM.

Old 06-23-2009, 09:52 PM   #36
    skimom
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

skimom HB User

Bactrim is known to clear acne up pretty fast. It was the only one that worked when my daughter started taking antibiotics. She has been prescribed it again along with Yaz and Spiro just to speed things up again. She was able to successfully wean off the antibiotics when she took this combo before. The hormonal control was enough.

Old 06-24-2009, 06:52 AM   #37
    kilgore52
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

kilgore52 HB User

skimom, Hi. I remember you posting about your daughter going on Spiro. How is she doing? Can you share the dosages she started on and what she is on now? I am anxious to hear her steps and do you have concerns on Spiro? I am sometimes concerned with the long term effects. What does her doctor say? Thanks

Old 06-24-2009, 12:22 PM   #38
    Arelias
    (female)

Arelias HB User

Really? I just thought Yasmin had a higher dose of estrogen than Yaz. But I've been on doxy before and it cleared me wonderfully for about a year but after I stopped taking it my acne came back with vengence. Skimom, with her spiro,yaz, and bactrim combo how long did it take for her to become completely clear? initial breakout with bactrim? what were her dosages of the spiro and bactrim? I'm not sure how if I should ask for the regualr or double strength bactrim? thanks

Old 06-24-2009, 04:21 PM   #39
    kilgore52
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

kilgore52 HB User

You are right, Yaz has less estrogen. That is the difference. I don't know about Bactrim. Maybe Skimom will reply.

Old 06-26-2009, 12:53 PM   #40
    Arelias
    (female)

Arelias HB User

well I went to my derm and he said he didn't want t put me on too many medications so he boosted my spiro up to 150mgs. I asked for 200 but he declined so we'll see how 150 goes. he also prescribed me epiduo which is adapalene and benzoyl peroxide together. its a new drug.. couldn't find any reviews on it. I didn't end up getting it because I don't want my face to get worse. my face is moderate as is I'm just going to let spiro work its magic

Old 06-26-2009, 03:23 PM   #41
    kilgore52
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

kilgore52 HB User

good for you and I promise it will. 150 will be good and I bet it works. Good luck. I just really hate acne and I think it is the worst thing that can happen to any child going through puberty. What a self esteem breaker. Right?I have gone through too many years of this horrible curse and now I am clear. YAY!!!

Old 06-26-2009, 07:58 PM   #42
    Arelias
    (female)

Arelias HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kilgore52 View Post
    good for you and I promise it will. 150 will be good and I bet it works. Good luck. I just really hate acne and I think it is the worst thing that can happen to any child going through puberty. What a self esteem breaker. Right?I have gone through too many years of this horrible curse and now I am clear. YAY!!!
    O my goodness, I hope so. Just by taking 150mgs in the 2 days I've already developed two new pimples, blah. Thanks so much for your help though, I really appreciate it. I hate acne too and I always tell myself I'd rather have a different illness than have acne. That's right, it's a puberty thing so why at 20 am I getting acne like 16 year old!? It's so annoying and I blame my parents because it's in our genes and I think out of everyone, I've had acne the worst. It is a total self-esteem breaker, I've deprived myself from a lot of fun activities because of acne. I'm in a serious relationship and I wish I could just wake up with beautiful skin and have my bf run his hands through my face and so wow ur skin is so soft and gorgeous. Ugh, I really hope 150mgs works for me because I have had it with stupid acne.

Old 06-27-2009, 07:21 AM   #43
    kilgore52
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

kilgore52 HB User

wait for 2 more months and you will start to see the results. It's just a hormonal thing for you and it will stop the production of too much testerone.

Last edited by kilgore52; 06-27-2009 at 08:09 PM.

Old 06-27-2009, 10:32 AM   #44
    skimom
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

skimom HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kilgore52 View Post
    skimom, Hi. I remember you posting about your daughter going on Spiro. How is she doing? Can you share the dosages she started on and what she is on now? I am anxious to hear her steps and do you have concerns on Spiro? I am sometimes concerned with the long term effects. What does her doctor say? Thanks
    Hi there Kilgore. She started back on yaz and 50-75 mgs. spiro the end of April. The doc bumped her spiro up to 100 mgs the first part of June. She sees the doctor on Monday and her gyno ordered some blood work already just to check on her potassium levels. She seems to be doing well. Her skin seems to be improving slowly but still quite a ways from clear. Yeah, I am concerned about long term effects too. She tends to get anxious on the yaz so I hope that won't happen again. I am somewhat interested in laser treatments for her as a long term solution and have a consultation appt. scheduled for next week.

Old 06-27-2009, 12:24 PM   #45
    kilgore52
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

kilgore52 HB User

Thanks for the reply. Yes with that dosage, it is a slower process and sometimes works for mild but most of the time not for cystic hormonal acne. The kind of acne that I have is genetic. My knowledge of lasers are : Two types. 1. one that zaps the bacteria and some sebum that can cause acne. 2. The laser that reduces the scaring and redness from years of acne. I personally have done foto Ipl for the redness and Fraxel for the deeper scaring. Both are great and great improvement, but not for someone still breaking out. Not to disappoint you but so far that has not been considered a cure for acne. If your daughter is having lots of oily skin, some facial hair or some mild body hair, then my guess is too much testosterone for her. The Yaz does get better in time with regard to being anxious. I feel that whatever it takes to be clear without harm is good for me. I have tried accutane and yes it lessoned my sebum, but the hormonal acne was still there. Spiro treats the hormonal type and has been used for years but not in the higher doses. They are now finding that the higher dose completely clears the problem. Look up a book called The Hormonally Vulnerable Woman. It will explain it all. That is what I did. and went to that doctor.

Last edited by kilgore52; 06-27-2009 at 12:28 PM.

Closed Thread