It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• I am SO mad!! ADULT ACNE RUINS EVERYTHING!!!!!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-12-2008, 07:17 AM   #1
    Sahuja12
    Veteran
    (female)

Sahuja12 HB User
    I am SO mad!! ADULT ACNE RUINS EVERYTHING!!!!!

I am sooooo upset right now... I am a 29 years old woman. I have had acne since I have been 14. I have been able to control it on and off with Rx meds.. But I am breaking out so badly now, with GIANT volcano like pimples! With BIG white heads RIGHT on my cheeks. Over that, I have a dark skin tone (indian) so everything leaves a dark spot wich lasts like 6 months!!

This completely saps my confidence. I am an attorney and otherwise an attractive person. I have cancelled two plans this week because of my big breakout. I hwas supposed to go out for lunch with coworkers and made an excuse. Then this weekend I was supposed to go with a bunch of friends to NYC and stay at my friends house. Guess what?? I could not deal with the thought of waking up without my makeup and facing all those perfect skinned peopole!!! Im SO upset. Would have been so fun. But whats fun when you cant even look people in the eye???

And none of my old stuff work!! Benzaclin! I am IMMUNE. Topical Ery. Im IMMUNE. Amox. Im immune...And there are a HOARD of meds I cant take cause im considering pregnancy. The acne doesnt stop. Every week I get two GIANT volcano pimples which leave big dark spots. And they take a week to even dry up!!

I just hide in my office and skip lunch with coworkers cause I know they are looking at the volcanos on my face. I am SO upset...

I have a derm appt on monday but what he can give me is so limited due to me not wanting anything big cause of possible pregnancy...

I have tried natural crap. Tea tree...Neem etc etc. NOTHING fREAKIN WORKS!!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-12-2008, 08:07 AM   #2
    chris031181
    (female)

chris031181 HB User
    Re: I am SO mad!! ADULT ACNE RUINS EVERYTHING!!!!!

I KNOW EXACTLY HOW YOU FEEL! I have the same issues with my acne. I have actually been considering laser surgery. I have had acne since I can remember and it seems to becoming more of a problem as I get older. I am 27 now and I figured that I should be done with it. I just now got insurance with my husband and am going to start going to a dermotologist soon!

I deal with the same issues socially as you.... Whenever someone sits down next to me or is looking me directly in the face, I immediatly become uncomfortable. I always look away or down at something else. I have horrible scarring on both sides of my face. It is awful and I hate to hear that you are feeling that way because I know how it feels. Everyone always says "It's not as bad as you think it is". Only you can feel and see it..I hope things work out for you and I hope someone can post some good news on here as far as something helping!!!!! I feel ya!

Old 09-12-2008, 09:07 AM   #3
    Sahuja12
    Veteran
    (female)

Sahuja12 HB User

Im feeling so awful cancelling my weekend trip cause of the acne. But then, I feel SO awkward!! I make sure to sit so only the clearer side of my face is facing people. I cover the other side with my hair or something.... Its awful. I am so bummed... My husband is like "There are much bigger problems than acne!"

So I actually have MS (Multiple Sclerosis). I am not nearly as bothered about that than my acne!!! Cause NO ONE can SEE that on my FACE!

Old 09-12-2008, 12:37 PM   #4
    chris031181
    (female)

chris031181 HB User

I hate that you feel like that! I seriously have considered calling off work some days due to the acne on my face. I too sit with my "better" side showing when I am around people. I am so sorry! It is heart breaking to feel like that. So many people tell me that I need to worry about bigger problems in the world and I know that there are but when you feel so worried all of the time about your face, that seems like all you can think about! I hope things get better for you...for the both of us! ((((hugs))))

Old 09-12-2008, 09:02 PM   #5
    BluEyez1031
    Veteran
    (female)

BluEyez1031 HB User

Aw, I know how you feel. I had been doing EXTREMELY well just using organic products and putting coconut oil on my face every night, but I just got a huge breakout, so I want to switch up my routine. I just ordered Collective Wellbeing's acne kit...I'll let you know if it works for me. Have you tried coconut oil? It might be worth a shot.

Old 09-12-2008, 09:30 PM   #6
    AliceT
    Inactive
    (female)

AliceT HB User

Oh I know how you feel too....I'm 37 and have had adult acne (rosacia) for years. I'm afraid to say it did get worse during pregnancy too. I understand how embarressing it is. But then a friend told me that "we dont see it A, we just see you" She pointed out that they saw me trying to cover it and they saw me with HEAPs of makeup, but they didnt actually notice me acne. So I relaxed abit about it and no one really cared except me. Try not to let it rule your life. It's your personality that you husband and friends love.
    I went to a dermo and had mine treated with very stron oral antibiotics and topical antibiotics. The dermo also recommended a cleaning regime for me. After a year now of treatment it is almost clear, so there is hope.
    As for laser treatment, I would be very careful before I really considered it. I have had one treatment and I was really disapointed with the result. My face is redder than ever and I now have to use makeup on areas I didnt previously have too. My dermo also told me halfway through the treatment that I would have to have at least four sessions to clear thereddness and then have ongoing laser every couple of years for the rest of my life. It is very expensive here in Aust as it isnt covered by insurance. I dont think the result was worth it to be honest so I have cancelled all future treatments and found myself a new dermo...

Old 01-15-2009, 09:27 PM   #7
    Martin Bishop
    (male)

Martin Bishop HB User

I have had severe cystic acne for over 5 years. I am very happy now though! The world's first acne and diet medical study is complete! It was done by Dr. Neil Mann of Australia's RMIT University and Royal Melbourne Hospital. <removed>

The study proves that foods with a high glycemic index are the cause of all acne. They reduced acne from 50-100% in 12 weeks, and kept it that way with food only. All my dark clothes still have a bleach ring on the neck from the acne creams. My acne and scars are vanishing! This is REAL hope for me. I am SO very happy! Yay Australia!

Last edited by mod-anon; 01-18-2009 at 11:58 AM. Reason: do not instruct members on how to find websites.

Old 01-17-2009, 06:26 PM   #8
    kim46
    (female)

kim46 HB User

Hi, I'm 45 and I suffered from adult onset acne for about 10 years. I visited a dermatologist for 4-5 years before I started researching my situation which is hormonal. Long story short, I feel your pain. I was on Mylicin for 3 years. I tried various methods from my "holistic" research and what is working for me - shampooing with Head & Shoulders (zinc), I take 50 mg zinc daily, Flaxseed oil capsule, Saw Palmetto Capsule (100 mg is perfect) and 1 tablet of apple cider vinegar. My dermotologist had not seen me for a year when I had a nasty 3 cysts this past summer and was surprised at how clear my skin had become though I had begged him for help other than antibiotics (I was thinking of a hormonal type treatment and that was my next step but this regimen began to work. I use plain white vinegar on the spot when I feel a big one coming on and this helps prevent it from becoming a huge infected lump.

Good luck - I feel for you.
    T

Old 01-18-2009, 04:05 AM   #9
    brown skin
    (female)

brown skin HB User

hi,
    i can totallly relate to everything you said in your post. im 37 and developed adult acne at 25. it completely ruined and stagnated my life and took away my self confidence. ive had to cancel so many plans and miss out on so many fun things that i cant even count how many. ive had relationship problems and problems on my job due to acne and the way it makes me antisocial and not easy to be around.i got clear about a year ago and man has my life changed. ive gotten out and done a lot of fun things in the past year since ive been clear. im still dealing with the dark spots and some shallow scarring so im still self conscious and theres still certain things that i wont do if it means others seeing me without make up on. i spent so many lonely years hiding in the house and being depressed. i had embarrassing cystic acne that would sometimes turn to sores on my face. i cried almost daily and asked god why i was cursed especially when noone else in my family has acne. i honestly just wanted to die. i tried everything in the book including accutane-only to either get worse or have temporary success and then the dreadful acne would always return.i pray everyday that i stay clear permanently this time.my skin is very sensitive and what worked for me was a simple regimen. i was initially cleared by grandpas thylox sulfur soap but i recently switched to glytone mild gel wash. the glytone is awesome because it clears acne as well as the dark spots.as a moisturizer i use cerave moisturizing lotion. amazing stuff. moisturizers usually wreak havoc on my skin but this one doesnt cause breakouts at all. i hope this helps. no one should have to live their life the way i did. good luck to you.

Last edited by brown skin; 01-18-2009 at 04:08 AM.

Old 01-18-2009, 04:38 AM   #10
    AnnD
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

AnnD HB UserAnnD HB User

Not much can be done if you aren't willing to hold off getting pregnant for a few months to do a round of Accutane...that is a miracle drug for adults. good luck

Old 01-18-2009, 07:19 AM   #11
    Martin Bishop
    (male)

Martin Bishop HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AnnD View Post
    Not much can be done if you aren't willing to hold off getting pregnant for a few months to do a round of Accutane...that is a miracle drug for adults. good luck
    I totally disagree with this. Accutane is on it's way out. The latest medical findings out of Australia prove that acne is caused by a modern western diet. See my previous post #7 on this thread.

Old 01-18-2009, 02:23 PM   #12
    brown skin
    (female)

brown skin HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AnnD View Post
    i also disagree with this comment. accutane is certainly not the cure for acne.i took accutane for 6 months and i regret it. it was a total waste of money. cleared me for a short amount of time but then the acne returned and was much worse than before. i would never recommend accutane to anyone. there are much better options without all the risks and side effects of accutane. other than the topicals, what also helped my acne was eliminating dairy,sodas, chocolate, and peanuts.

Last edited by brown skin; 01-18-2009 at 02:43 PM.

Old 01-24-2009, 10:17 AM   #13
    kim46
    (female)

kim46 HB User

I should add my experience -I took Accutane in my late 20's and when me/my husband tried to have children - I got pregnant at 35 with a trisomy baby, miscarried at 20 weeks and then suffered through 5 more years of extensive infertility treatments in our attempt to have a baby.

I am not sure if they are related, but I have always had inklings that it could have been - probably not but to always question caused me years of suffering.

Closed Thread