It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• I am an obsessive picker...SOMEone Help Me!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-04-2002, 11:24 PM   #1
    zangiff

Post I am an obsessive picker...SOMEone Help Me!

I have a huge problem with picking at my zits..or sometimes nothing! It is the only reason why my face really ever looks bad. My acne is pretty mild..I would say 5-10 blemishes a week, that can heal quickly to wear m face is clear. But for some reason I can not stop picking at them. Sometimes I will pick at a zit and squeeze the S$^% out of it until i got my self a big wound that sticks around for a week or so..and its a cycle I cannot get out of for some reason. I will wake up and I will see a red spot on my face that it not ready to be popped and I will start meesing with it until I get all the puss out. I get into like a zone when Im picking at it...not thinking or caring what it is going to do to my face. Luckily I do not have much for scars..a coulpe or red spots that are fading and are not noticeable..But I need to learn to stop doing this so i can live my life normally. Can someone tell me how to stop this! and that old stop looking at mirror idea isnt going to work..might as well ask me to stop breathing. But please any suggestions would be great. Thank you

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-05-2002, 12:15 AM   #2
    JustPeachy

JustPeachy HB User
    I am the EXACT same way. I will pick at something that isn't ready yet either. Sometimes it just looks like there might be something there and I pick at it whether it is ready or not. I have an obsession with this and I have tried so hard to stop. Sometimes I will pick at the same zit ten times in one day. It drives me nuts! I just can't let it go....it is like I just want to see how bad I can get it just to watch it heal. But then I am so mad at myself for what I have done to my face that I just cry! It is just a vicious cycle.

I don't know how to tell you to stop because I am still trying to stop doing this myself. I don't know, maybe try rewarding yourself with something nice if you can go a whole week without touching anything on your face!!

Old 07-05-2002, 05:14 AM   #3
    MarifromPR
    Inactive

MarifromPR HB User
    Im the same too. Its called phsycogenic excoriation. They say its about to be qualified as a symptom of OCD. Refered also as Compulsive Skin Picking. I hate this **** buts its definetly out of control for me

Old 07-05-2002, 08:22 AM   #4
    daylight568
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

daylight568 HB User
    I do this too sometimes when I have some closed ones that are not responding to any treatment and have been their too long.I also do it to relieve the itch because sometimes when you get the stuff out of them they itch less and seem to heal faster.When I find myself getting over compulsive what I will do is cut my nails really short.Works every time.

Old 07-05-2002, 09:14 AM   #5
    livenlearn

livenlearn HB User

hey guys !! i used to be a compulsive picker too.... i never understood when someone would try to help me and tell me ... "JUST DON'T PICK".... let them go and they will heal.... i didn't listen.... and i have a few scars from it..... luckily not too too bad... just a couple... but, still ... if i HAD listened.. i wouldn't have any...... so, now, i've gotten the acne completely under control.... i rarely get a zit.... but, if i do... i leave it be.... it heals itself.... and no scar.... i know it's hard when you're dealing with looking at all these pimples on your face... but, really.... when u pick .. u inflame it even more and make it worse... next time you want to pick... just tell yourself not to... and DON'T.... that may cut down at least 1/2 of what you pick...

Old 07-05-2002, 02:35 PM   #6
    Nancy S+13

Nancy S+13 HB User
    Zangiff, are you male or female? One thing that helps me is to wear makeup everyday. It's wierd, but once the makeup goes on I feel like I don't want to touch my face 'cause I'll mess up my makeup. Also, I find I pick the worst when my hands are free so staying on the computer doing message boards and stuff keeps me from picking. Try keeping your hands busy with other stuff. Oh, one other thing is I tend to pick more when I use Retin A. It makes my skin all dry and flakey and that triggers me to pick.

Old 07-05-2002, 10:29 PM   #7
    BlueSprite555
    (female)

BlueSprite555 HB User
    Smile

Uh oh...that's not cool...'though I know what it's like...I go through periods where I get obsessive about my skin and will pick...but for me I know it's mental...in that it really isn't that bad but I can make it much worse. Although this sounds really really weird, my kitty comes into the bathroom when I am about to "pick" at my skin and she trys desperately to get my attention before I do anything...I dunno if she senses anything or if she is just ALWAYS trying desperately to get my attention...the latter reason is most likely the most probable....she does follow me around the house a lot! Anyway, she has helped me a lot in distracting myself from the mirror before I do any damage!!! Anway, I try to keep the bathroom lights dim so that you can't see every pore on your face, that way you won't pick at things you can't see to well...and also I find if I cover any zit up right away with a treatment, I won't pick because I know it's treating the zit and I don't want to ruin that process. I have also heard wearing white gloves in the bathroom while you wash your face or something helps...but so far my other methods are really helping! Oh, and remind yourself that "picking isn't helping" or "this will hurt" or "this will make it worse"...tell yourself these things before you start...sometimes just saying these things aloud will take you out of that negative "mode" or impulse.
    HTH!
    Don't obsess!!!!!!!! Stop it!!!!!!!!!! Don't pick!!!!!

Delphi

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 07-05-2002, 10:37 PM   #8
    Da Manny

Da Manny HB User
    Question

You mean I'm not supposed to pop them?? When is it safe to pick?

Old 07-08-2002, 08:18 PM   #9
    zangiff

Talking

thanks for the replies guys...I am starting to take some control..I am on day 5 of no picking and so far my face is clear..one thing I noticed is it helps a lot to take warm showers at the end of the day..this well usually get rid of any whiteheads. By the way someone asked me if I was male or female..and I am a male so makeup isn;t an option for me...I am just gonna have to learn to live with it..I will keep yall up to date and tell ya if I find loopholes to stop skin obsession. Later

Old 08-20-2002, 06:03 PM   #10
    ErikaJ

ErikaJ HB User
    Unhappy

A few days ago I got a pimple on my face which was weird cause I never get acne..well I started to pick at it like crazy, I was in like a trance and couldnt stop. When I looked at my face I was horrified. My face was covered in scabs, red marks, zits, bruises and blood. I even now have a patch of skin that is missing that turned into impntago(a virous in ur skin). I am so angry and depressed. I will not leave my house. If there is anyone who has gone through this or knows ways to cover it up...PLEASE HELP!!!

Old 08-21-2002, 12:48 AM   #11
    SweetJade1
    Senior Veteran

SweetJade1 HB User
    There's our answer, I NEVER attack the ones you can see, but sometimes I'll accidentaly scratch the ones on my back. Unfortunately I intentionally go after the ones on my scalp (can't see them) but of course that's part of the reason for my hair loss =/

You know it definately is like being in some sort of trance. It sorta happens subconciously and then when you do realize it, it's either too late or you finish the job. I definately think it's caused by some form of underlying stress and aggrivation because that's usually when it seems to happen.

So you can really get a skin virus huh? OK everybody think that! Think that if you don't stop picking, you will get a virus and it will make you look completely horrible and disgusting. It definately is possible and that's the mind frame I am using now, because while DHT may be problem, I'm the biggest enemy for my own hair problems.

Also, I agree that if the pimple or, in my case scab, wasn't there we wouldn't do it, but it will never HEAL if we keep doing it. I've always stopped once vainity came into play I couldn't wear my hair a certain way, thus my hair eventually grew back. So I believe that by remaining as ignorant as possible it might help. If you don't look at your skin too much (miracles happen faster that way) and if we don't touch our skin more than neccessary, it will heal (a few days or weeks). All we have to do is let it heal...

[This message has been edited by SweetJade1 (edited 08-21-2002).]

Old 08-21-2002, 09:02 AM   #12
    daylight568
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

daylight568 HB User
    Sweet Jade, you mentioned that all we have to do is leave them alone and let them heal itself.What do you suggest doing for those (I guess they are called closed comedones ?) zits that never come to a head and stay will just sit there for years ! I tried just letting them heal on their own and they never went away!How many years does it take?I have some zits that will never go away .I can remove them and they will only be gone temporarily then come back.

Old 08-21-2002, 01:21 PM   #13
    Monet
    Inactive

Monet HB User
    zangiff,
    you have to change your image about yourself being a "picker". You have to practice believing and acting like a non-picker, so everytime you get ready to pick or find yourself thinking about picking say outloud "no-I will not pick, I am not a picker" or "that is unlike me" Before you start to pick promise yourself that you will stop and think for one minute about the outcome of your picking- think about the scars and irritated skin that you will be creating make a decision based on your thoughts -that way you dont just start picking without making a choice to pick.
    If you constantly pick and continue to focus on the fact that you cant stop it will only solidify the image you have of yourself being someone who picks and cant control it.

You have a bad habit and the only way to replace it is to not identify with it and to replace it with another action. Try this for a month and you will be amazed.

Worked for me-just dont stop saying "no" when the thought comes to you, you can fall back easily into the habit.

Old 08-21-2002, 05:23 PM   #14
    ShadyLady482

ShadyLady482 HB User
    Oh my gosh, zangiff reading your post was like reading something I could've written about myself. As horrible a habit as it is, it's always somehow reassuring to know I'm not the only person out there that does this!!! It definitely is like being in a trance... I've spent hours in the bathroom examining/ruining my face and it feels like minutes, and then I can't believe what I just did. Also like you said, I find things to pick at if they're not already apparent, things NO one else would notice, and I ruin my chances for clear skin. If I could just STOP my skin would really really not be that bad. I think the picking causes more acne sometimes as well. Today was really appropriate timing for me to read this post too, I've been doing SO well this summer and most of my face is almost completely healed, but I've had these two spots, one under each eye, that I just never seem to be able to leave alone. I can seem to leave one alone long enough for it to heal but never both... and today I seem to have screwed them BOTH up again and now I have matching bright red spots. I was so mad at myself I wanted to cry, I move back to school on Friday and I wanted to look CLEAR for once. *sigh* I wish we were allowed to get emails from other ppl so we could write other ppl with this problem at times we really need support. Btw, my only piece of advice would be to cut your nails as short as you can, this helps for a little bit and and least makes you more aware of what you're doing when you try to pick and notice your lack of nails...

Old 08-21-2002, 09:56 PM   #15
    SweetJade1
    Senior Veteran

SweetJade1 HB User
    DsSheldon,
    Personally I would rather have the zit under my skin a few months than to irritate it causeing it to either get bigger or scar...that's my vainity point. Maybe you aren't using effective skin care products. What are you currently using to get rid of your acne? I'd say that an AHA and a BHA would be all you need if you just have blackheads/whiteheads, right? Maybe even a scrub that contains silcon beads, but no ground up nut shells.

Let me know what you are using and how happy you are with them and maybe I can suggest something else. All I can say though is that, after seeing the results from accidentally peeling skin before it was ready I no longer touch my face (in that manner). I just use my Paula's Choice BHA, Bye Bye Blemish, etc to zap and exfoilate and they work for me.

Closed Thread