It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

Q's for those of you who had breakouts from Zinc....

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-04-2003, 08:44 AM   #1
pbear8 HB User
Post Q's for those of you who had breakouts from Zinc....

Hi there,

I just started taking Zinc a couple of days ago. I bought the 50mgs, but I cut it in half, so I am taking about 25-30mgs per day. I have been taking it on a full stomach so no problems with nausea so far.

I am prone to hormonal cystic acne and since I have been taking the Zinc I have been starting to get two new cysts!! I have been trying to keep them under control with Tea Tree Oil, but as you know cysts are very persistant and I dont think that will keep them at bay for long

Anyway, for those of you who had initial breakouts from Zinc, what did you do? Did you stop the pills or keep taking them until the cysts/pimples disappeared?

I have read that Zinc tends to bring the bad toxins from in your body to the surface in order to expell them and that this is where the initial breakout comes from...but I'm just wondering if it will ALWAYS do that or if it will go away if I stick with it?

Any tips would be appreciated...

Sponsors Lightbulb
Old 08-04-2003, 10:22 AM   #2
curiousz HB User

I don't have cystic acne, but I am in the same boat as you when it comes to starting a zinc supplement.

I'm taking 50 mg of zinc gluconate/day, and I think I will be starting my 3rd week.

My acne is weird, so I'm not really sure if the zinc is doing anything yet -- however, it must be said that it takes generally 12 weeks to see results, 4 weeks at the earliest cases. I hope I've already endured my initial breakout, because I couldn't even tell a thing...

I have heard about there being an initial breakout, but I never heard reports of severity (as I have heard from B5 -- which is why I am staying away from that drug...).

I would suggest taking 50 mg/day for the first 3 months, and then take half there after. Keep with it.

Old 08-18-2003, 04:20 AM   #3
pbear8 HB User

*Sigh* I am now taking the 50mg of Zinc.

And I have had 4 new pimples / cysts on my chin!! Acckkkk!

Any other suggestions?

Old 09-26-2003, 07:08 AM   #4
ol'lady HB User

I've read mixed reviews on zinc initial breakouts. I was wondering, for those of you who have had a breakout when first taking zinc - how long did it last?

Old 09-27-2003, 02:39 PM   #5
wicketglen7 HB User

I don't understand how taking a vitamin will make you break out? It is used to heal skin. Thats all your dermis, not just acne. But then again I am not a scientist or doctor either.

Closed Thread