It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• Low Dose Accutane

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-03-2009, 06:17 AM   #241
    LowTane
    (male)

LowTane HB User
    Re: Low Dose Accutane

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TommyBlates View Post
    LowTane could you please direct me to the UK study into low dose accutane that you mention earlier in the thread. Many thanks
    Tommy, go to pubmed or medscape or both. Use the search terms "Low Dose Accutane" or "Low Dose Isotretinoin" You will find multiple studies. If you still have trouble let me know and I will get my search boots on and dig in.....

LT

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-13-2009, 01:55 PM   #242
    oldlawyer
    (male)

oldlawyer HB User

Well, 18 days off and all is good. No oil return. No breakouts. Get a few red spots on my forehead after exersicing, but they are not raised and don`t last long. I will ask the derm about that in my visit next month. It actually seems like my skin has continued to improve, although I did not think it was possible. I take 10,000 iu`s of vitiman A a day now in the morning. It is supposed to help with skin maintenance, especially disposing of dead skin cells and healing. Still drinking lots of water, too. So far, so good.

Old 11-13-2009, 04:25 PM   #243
    sleepyjack
    (female)

sleepyjack HB User

hi there,

i used to frequent this form a lot over the years having suffered from moderate acne for 20 years. i tried everything -- and i am not exaggerating -- until i found a derm that talked me into acutane. luckily for me, i was at my wits end and the treatment was covered by my health insurance so i figured it was worth a shot. i was nervous for sure, but willing to try one last time before resigning to the fact that i would have pimples on my face until the day i died.

long story short, i took a low dose of 20 mg/day for 7 months (a lesser dose than the dr suggested) and i have been acne free for one full year. and i mean FREE. not. one. pimple. it's a miracle for sure.

with the low dose, i had few side effects but made sure that i supplemented my diet with vitamin e and LOTS of water. i had a constant aquafor on my lips and up my nose the whole time, but for me the biggest hassle was the monthly blood work and follow up visits. it's a full time treatment that requires a lot of persistence.

recently i went to get a facial and the aesthetician said my skin was perfect. !!!! but here's the best part -- i just got back from my first tropical vacation where i didn't even consider bringing concealer to cover up my spots. (ladies, you know what i'm talking about!) just a bunch of sunblock.

anyway, just wanted to thank you all for sharing your stories... even though i was a lurker for years, the forum helped me so much as i'm sure it does to many people.

thanks!

Old 11-24-2009, 06:01 AM   #244
    LowTane
    (male)

LowTane HB User

Well you sure don't post as much when your acne is at bay..... I am off Accutane for around 4 months. My oil has increased slightly with only an occasional pimple. Pores are about the same. All is still well. I am still waiting for the other shoe to drop. To new readers of this blog.... I am a 50 year old male about 200 pounds. I tapered from 20mg daily to around a 10mg once a week accutane dosage over a period of 6 months. It has put my acne vulgaris and my rosacea in remission. I don't get the red flashes and pustules or zits any more. I had tried everything over the last 35 years. I believe in the low dose regimen. I had virtually no side effects at these dosage levels. I have recommended repeatedly on this blog that individuals go to pubmed and medscape and create a portfolio of low dose studies to present to their dermatologist. They may or may not listen. I am no expert of any type, but I have the opinion that dosing at levels that make your nose bleed and your lips crack off your face may affect other body parts in an adverse manner. I just couldn't get myself to agree to those levels of this controversial drug. The argument is will lower dosages give long term results? Well, I am testing that theory on at least one person. Accutane improved my life one million percent. Dried up my oil, closed up my pores, cleared my Acne and killed my Rosacea. The extreme social unease that I have been living with is gone. Remember to strategize when approaching the doctors with the low dose idea. It is not prevalent in the USA, be sure to tell them that PubMed is a service of the US National Library of Medicine that includes over 18 million citations from MEDLINE and other life science journals and that medscape is a physicians resource site. Do not tell them stories from blogs with personal accounts like this one. They consider the information anecdotal and unsubtantiated. I agree with them on this point.

Good Luck

LowTane

Old 12-10-2009, 08:51 AM   #245
    oldlawyer
    (male)

oldlawyer HB User

It has been quiet here for a while. I suppose that is good. Just left the derm. No followup booked. All is good. She said call if I have any issues. I have been off for 7 weeks and I am clear. Regards

Old 12-10-2009, 11:48 PM   #246
    Sir Hats a lot
    (male)

Sir Hats a lot HB User

Thanks for the updates, Lawyer and Lowtane (maybe combine them into one name like Lowyer of Lawtane?)
    Please keep us up to date with your progress.

Old 12-24-2009, 06:44 PM   #247
    LowTane
    (male)

LowTane HB User

Hello all....

I have now been off Accutane for around 5 1/2 months or more. I am losing track of time. As a reminder to anyone who comes to this board, it all started with me wanting to try low dose Accutane and see if I could get the same results as Higher dose therapy. I am 50 years old and weigh 200lbs. I am a male with Rosacea and Acne Vulgaris. I started on 20mg daily and tapered down in a fairly linear fashion to 10mg once or twice a week. Accutane cleared my Rosacea and my Acne. I am still clear at this point. The method I used was to submit Low Dose studies from Medscape and Pubmed to my Dermatologist. I told him I didn't wish for High dose, he acutally started me at a higher dose than I wanted. I tapered it down quickly to lower dosages. He always seemed very suprised when I would tell him how little I was taking of this controversial drug. I suffered virtually no side effects whatsoever. Accutane changed my life, period. It may work for you too. If you fear this drug like I did, consider trying the low dose route. If it doesn't work you can always try a higher dose regime. Many other countries are prescribing this drug at lower dosages with great effect. Consult Pubmed and Medscape and you will see.

Best Wishes
    LowTane

Old 01-18-2010, 08:16 AM   #248
    LowTane
    (male)

LowTane HB User

Still Clear and Still Here........

Stay strong, and consider the low dose method.

LT

Old 01-29-2010, 06:31 PM   #249
    LowTane
    (male)

LowTane HB User

Still here and still clear after 7 months off of low dose Accutane.

LT

Old 02-09-2010, 07:37 AM   #250
    LowTane
    (male)

LowTane HB User

Heading for 8 months off of Low Dose Accutane!

Treatment Duration: 6 Months

Dosage: Started at 20mg daily, tapered over 6 months to 10mg once a week.

Weight: 200

Sex: Male

Side effects: Extremely minimal, light drying of the lips.

Results: Cured my Acne Vulgaris, shrunk my pores by 90%, put my Rosacea in permanent remission, adjusted my attitude from deeply depressive solitary behavior to upbeat outgoing positive socialite.

Strategy: Use legitimate studies on low dosage Accutane published on pubmed and medscape to convince my Dermatologist to give it a try.

Comments: My philosophy is that drugs are bad in the first place. I will never submit to the high dosages of this drug administered in the USA. Other countries are embracing low dose treatments and getting great results. With the low dosage approach my fear was minimized. I feel I could do it again if need be......Anyone going through what I did with Rosacea, Acne Vulgaris and Sebaceous Hyperplasia (massive oil) gets my total sympathy. I don't know if my approach will work for you. It just makes sense to try this drug in a very low dose to see if you can tolerate it. You can always try a higher dosage later on. Do you homework and copy legitimate studies and take them to your Derm. Don't take in stories and blogs, they will not listen to anecdotal data. Ask them if they know of Pubmed and Medscape reporting agencies. Be organized, be firm. There are multiple countries who have published studies on the efficacy of low dose Isotretinoin (Accutane). I wish you the best.

LT

The Following User Says Thank You to LowTane For This Useful Post:
    jaey (08-03-2012)
    Old 02-09-2010, 08:44 PM   #251
    Accutaneatfifty
    (female)

Accutaneatfifty HB User

Thank you so much for your blog. It was of tremendous help to me. Today I began 40mg/day of Claravis. My doc would not agree to a lower dose, even tho' I requested it many times. 6 mos is my planned duration. I did visit another derm yesterday who is out of my network, who agreed that if my acne comes back after 6 mos, he'd put me on 10mg/day (possibly for a long term). I am 51, 5'6", 120lbs. Thanks to your blog, I'm armed with info, and am asking questions. I pray it works for me with minimal side effects (after 37 yrs of cystic chin acne), as it did for you. Thanks again-

Closed Thread