It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• Low Dose Accutane

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-18-2009, 08:23 AM   #16
    LowTane
    (male)

LowTane HB User
    Re: Low Dose Accutane

18 Feb 2009
    Brand:Sotret
    Weight:90Kg = 200lbs
    Sex:Male
    Dosage:20mg once daily

Day 13:
    I gotta say, that Accutane changes the normal process for a zit. I was already for a long drawn out process for my new acne. It started very painful as usual, but.... my zits are drying up quick. Its as if they are drying from the inside out. Pain came and went. The normal expected redness and swelling is very mild in comparison to past acne events. Wow, I am loving this drug. Pores that I expected would need surgery are much, much reduced in size and appearance. Oil is still very well controlled. I have no side effects whatsoever. My attitude is improved 100%. After reading all the horror stories online I was braced for the worst. I might as well be taking a vitamin pill. I am thinking that the Europeans have it right. We are giving much to high of dosages in the United States of this powerful drug. Pill #13 goes down tonight.

Day 13: cont-
    I just took pill #13 a few moments ago. I have two zits on the chin and 3 on the nose. They are not that red though. It really is a lot easier to deal with the zits on this drug. I hope this does not last for weeks. It would be nice to get past the intial breakout. To the Rosaceans. No flushing at all, no hot skin...nothing. It seems this drug does control Rosacea. The downside is I have heard it doesn't cure it like it can Acne. When all is said and done the next hurdle may be getting a Derm to commit to long term Microdose Tane. Well, good nite.

Best Wishes
    LowTane

Last edited by LowTane; 02-18-2009 at 09:22 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-19-2009, 06:49 AM   #17
    LowTane
    (male)

LowTane HB User

19 Feb 2009
    Symptom: Dry lower lip

Well my lower lip is getting dry, slightly cracked. Not bad, I am using lip balm again. The round of acne that I have is pale and not so noticeable. I still think the ant-inflammatory of this drug is amazing. It helps to reduce redness. Zits rotate pretty fast, come and go fairly quickly. I wish I had taken pictures of my face to start with.... sorry. Quite a few views of this log have occurred by numerous individuals. I hope this helps someone who may be considering "Low Dose" Accutane. The Accutane experience has controled my oil slick of a face very rapidly. Still no major side effects and the sex drive is still intact. No depression, no headaches, nothing but the desired effects so far. I realize this could all change, so I will keep reporting. Pill #14 tonight.

Best Wishes
    LowTane

Last edited by LowTane; 02-19-2009 at 06:49 AM.

Old 02-19-2009, 11:47 AM   #18
    oldlawyer
    (male)

oldlawyer HB User

I started on Monday 2/16. I am 48, male,190 lbs and am on 40mg/day. My systoms are similar to your except I was on tetracycline for 11 years (absurd, I know) and everything else that did not work. My breakouts were usually not bad, mostly on the nose and trunk. My face started to get really read last October and it took me 4 months to get a derm appt. Since nothing else worked, including prescription creams, they said this was the best option.

I decided to quit drinking while I am on it...will make friday nights rather dull, but I like my liver.

The first day I had some mild headaches. The second day I broke out a little, but I`m not sure if it is from the accutane or the fact that I stopped using everything else. Today I was a little more broken out but they went as quickly as they came, which was strange. My eyes get very dry about an hour after I take it (with dinner) and that lasts for an hour or 2. My skin is less oily, for now. I sleep like a rock.

I was told to drink a lot of water and exercise and eat well.

My 19 year old daughter just finished up. She was never that bad but nothing got rid of her mild acne so she tried it and has flawless skin.

Good luck. Keep in touch.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by LowTane View Post
    6 Feb 2009
    Hi, I have just taken my first low dose of Accutane
    Weight:90Kg=200lbs
    Supplements:None

Day 1
    Chronic oily skin, blotting on the hour. I have mild Rosacea and more severe Acne Vulgaris of the nose and chin. My dermatologist in the USA had no real off label experience with low and microdose accutane. I brought him multiple studies from Israel, Turkey, UK and more.... he was interested. I have a back-up of Eythromyacin, I am hoping not to use it. I have been on Doxycylcline for the last year (this is not allowed with Accutane) since being diagnosed with Rosacea. My derm will only allow for a one month antibiotic security blanket. Eythromyacin does not have contraindications with Accutane, when its gone I have to ride it out. I am Professor at a local college, needless to say it is difficult to have skin problems and have to lecture in front of crowds. I hope I am lucky and can avoid the dreaded intial outbreak so many Accutane users report.

Best Wishes
    LowTane

Declarative statement: I am not recommending this drug. I am only reporting results in the most objective manner I can muster. I do belive this drug can be dangerous. I am taking this risk of my own accord. Please read other blogs that discuss the seriousness of possible long term side effects.

Old 02-19-2009, 08:50 PM   #19
    LowTane
    (male)

LowTane HB User

Well OldLawyer thanks for chiming in on this important subject. I hope all goes well for you.

19 Feb 2009

Pill #14 just went down the hatch. Same story... oil drying up. Zits come and go pretty fast. No side effects still. Good! More later...

Best
    LowTane

Old 02-20-2009, 08:12 AM   #20
    oldlawyer
    (male)

oldlawyer HB User

Thanks. I will monitor your progress, and see how it compares to mine. I am interested because we are the same gender, age and weight, and because we each noticed quick results. This is your show, so I`ll stay in the background.

Old 02-20-2009, 05:52 PM   #21
    LowTane
    (male)

LowTane HB User

OldLawyer absolutely do not stay in the background. Look how many viewers this thread has had already. Post your results so individuals who may take this option can compare more than one story. Any other individuals currently on Accutane please post as well. If you would, please list age, dosage, gender etc...

19 Feb 2009

Day:15
    Well, I am starting to sound like a broken record probably. I blotted my normally horribly oily skin one time today. Unbelievable, normally I blot 8 to 10 times a day at work. This alone is cause for celebration, I am loving this drug so far. I am on very low dosage and obtaining these results. Still no side effects other than dry lower lip. I will continue to test the sex drive on a regular basis, (somebodys gotta do it) it is in the interest of science you know. Well pill 15 soon......

Best Wishes
    LowTane

Last edited by LowTane; 02-20-2009 at 06:02 PM.

Old 02-21-2009, 07:51 PM   #22
    LowTane
    (male)

LowTane HB User

21 Feb 2009
    Symptom: Dry lower lip & Minor skin flaking on the nose.

Day 17:
    Well this will be short, just the dry lower lip and the micro-flaking of the skin on the face. I know this is personal discussing the sex drive and all....but. When I was researching this drug before taking it I wanted to hear about it. Some people claim it destroyed their sex drive. Others said the symptoms persisted even after they had been off Accutane for months. So, needless to say I was scared. So far I have felt as though things were not going work properly a couple of times (yet things worked out). I am still concerned about this, it has never happened to me before. So, I am watching this very closely. I will try to report the outcome in as tasteful a way as I can. I am not sure if I have psyched my self out because of all the horror stories floating around on the web. I have been able to sucessfully accomplish the intended goal so far.....with some mental lapses. I will report any major failure if it occurs (cross your fingers)....................I hope it will not be an issue.

Pill #16 coming up.

Best Wishes
    LowTane

Last edited by LowTane; 02-22-2009 at 07:08 PM.

Old 02-22-2009, 07:23 PM   #23
    LowTane
    (male)

LowTane HB User
    Thumbs up Re: Low Dose Accutane

22 Feb 2009
    Symptom: Dry lower lip & Minor skin flaking on the nose.

Day 17: Well this report will be a summary of events upto this time. I have experienced no significant side effects from this low dosage of Accutane. I am taking the Sotret brand. My lower lip is just barely dry. Every now and then I have a little piece of skin on my lip get dry enough to peel off with my teeth. This is rare, now this is significant. If you haven't seen what "high dosers" go through you need to go surf and read. Then again, I may not get the successful remission that high dosers may get. Now for the good part. My life has been so positively affected that I am shocked. My attitude, my willingness to participate in life. My students have noticed the difference, I am having fun teaching again. My personal space when talking to people has gotten to a normal distance again. I am not blotting during the day more than once or twice. I can touch my nose and my fingers don't feel greasy. My zits are coming and going at a rapid rate. My red blotchy appearance is showing a more even normal colored skin tone. Pores I thought were going to take plastic surgery have shrunk by 65%. My nose dosen't feel swollen anymore. My rosacea symptoms are non-existent. Veins in my nose have dissappeared. What can I say, I am hooked on Acctuane. My quality of life has already improved by 80% in just a little over two weeks on this miraculous drug. I can't tell you how this makes me feel, what an amazing experience it has been already. So, there.... thats how I feel today. I wished to God I had tried this drug a lot earlier, before I had so much scarring. Oh well... maybe laser will finish this journey off it I get a good remission. Well, folks...I recommend a low dose experience, even lower than mine. Possibly microdose will be the way of the future. 2.5 milligrams total daily. Like a supplement, who knows. Well, pill #17 is on deck. I will take it with milk to increase the absorbtion. It is fat soluable..............

Best Wishes
    LowTane

Last edited by LowTane; 02-22-2009 at 07:24 PM.

Old 02-23-2009, 06:06 AM   #24
    oldlawyer
    (male)

oldlawyer HB User

Well Lowtane, I will post a few here and there. I am taking 40mg per day of Claravis. I have taken 7 doses so far. I take mine at night, after dinner. Days 3 through 5 resulted in some breakouts, but quite frankly no more intense than when I was on tetracycline and lotions, and they are less painful and shorter lived. No issue with sex drive yet, and besides, they make pills for that too! I continue not to drink alcohol. I drink plenty of water. I have a dry lower lip, and some redness and tightening of the face. No other side effects, except maybe that i do not seem too hungry during the day and I am starving at night. I, too, feel like I am getting my life back. My nose is less swollen and pores are smaller. I, too, wish I did this years ago, but even at age 48 I am still happy to do it now. Those who do not have these problems have no idea.

Old 02-23-2009, 09:01 PM   #25
    LowTane
    (male)

LowTane HB User
    Cool Re: Low Dose Accutane

Old Lawyer, I am glad you chimed in...please do keep us updated. My wife and I were looking at my pores tonight. Honest to God I am in shock, my wife told me that I have no pores left. I had holes in my nose, I was checking into plastic surgery. I have also put alcohol on a shelf, maybe for good. I feel like drinking may have caused some of my Rosacea issues. I feel great and have lost weight by cutting out the weekly drinking. Good ta hear from ya.......

23 Feb 2009
    Symptoms: Dry lower lip

Day 19:
    Well, the pores are shocking, the oil is gone. Sex drive still seems functional, but the fear subsists. I don't know what to say, I am blown away. My Rosacea symptoms are non-existant. My attitude has just gotten better by the day. Wow, you probably think I am nuts! If I had known this option existed before, I would have stepped up to the plate a long time ago. 20mg daily has made a huge impact on my oily greasy face. It feels great to be off of antibiotics. I know I am repeating myself but I don't know what else to say. An ugly vein in my nose has all but dissappeared. I am waiting for the other shoe to drop. Acne scars are less apparent. This may be because of the lack of oil, scars and imperfections show up much better when coated with shiny oil. It also could be the tightening of the skin. Pores have closed up at an incredible rate. Its funny, now I can only think of the end of the thearapy and what will happen if I don't get the remission. Well, I should get 10 months minimum out of this, thats how long my derm has me scheduled for........ Pill #18 down the hatch.

Best Wished
    LowTane

Last edited by LowTane; 02-24-2009 at 07:52 PM.

Old 02-24-2009, 03:33 PM   #26
    BluEyez1031
    Veteran
    (female)

BluEyez1031 HB User

I really wish I had as great of results as you are having so far! I took Accutane for the recommended length of time, and I broke out the worst I ever did in my entire life for the months I was on it...so much so that I really just wanted to barricade myself in embarrassment. Unfortunately, I was in high school at the time! I'm glad to hear that it's a miracle drug for someone.

Old 02-24-2009, 05:39 PM   #27
    LowTane
    (male)

LowTane HB User

BlueEyz please elaborate more info, brand of Accutane, dosage, type of acne etc... we are curious as to the details.

Thanks
    LowTane

Old 02-24-2009, 07:43 PM   #28
    BluEyez1031
    Veteran
    (female)

BluEyez1031 HB User

From what I can recall, I fluctuated between taking two 20 mg pills up to one or two 40 mg Accutane capsules a day. I wish I could remember more specifically, but I've tried so many different treatments that they've all sort of blurred together, and this was also about 6 years ago. I had blackheads, small whiteheads, and some cystic acne at the time, but when I took the Accutane, I developed a LOT of cystic acne. After I was done, my skin calmed down for about 3 months, and then I began breaking out "per usual."

Last edited by BluEyez1031; 02-24-2009 at 07:43 PM.

Old 02-24-2009, 07:59 PM   #29
    LowTane
    (male)

LowTane HB User
    Thumbs up Re: Low Dose Accutane

Thanks Blueyz..........

24 Feb 2009
    Symptoms: Dry lower lip
    Behavior: Cetaphil soap and moisturizer b4 bed

Day 20:
    I never did use the emergency Erythromyacin my Derm gave me for the intial outbreak.
    No side effects other than lower lip slightly dry.
    Sex drive still functional.
    Micro-flaking on nose and chin (only the areas where acne presents).
    Oil reduced 95%
    Rosacea symptoms = Zero!
    Acne breaks and drys in 24 to 36 hours.
    Pores and scarring have been affected significantly.
    Confidence has improved 85 percent.
    Fun factor and socialability improved beyond measure.
    Pessimism diminished somewhat. (Still I do not take this drug lightly!)

Pill # 20 is on deck in one hour!

My take and speculative wishful thinking: I honestly am starting to feel that this drug at this low dose is not going to kill me. I have 100's of hours (really I do) of reading blogs and research papers on this subject. I think that the high dosage approach is where the problems can really present themselves. Even though some individuals report no problems in the long term from higher dosages. I don't think I would be comfortable on this controversial drug at the 5mg/Kg of body weight norm here in America. My hopes are at the very worse, a 5mg every other day maintenance dose (or less) in the long term if required. I am aware I could still have problems in the long term. However, this drug is 30 years old. Millions have taken it, wouldn't this be a much bigger story if everyone had long term side effects. The web shows a small group of individuals (in comparison to the number of individuals who have taken this drug) blaming this drug for every bad experience they have had post Accutane. I am not saying they are wrong, I am wondering if they are just a small percentage of a very large group. Just a thought..................

Best Wishes
    LowTane

Declarative statement: I am not recommending this drug. I am only reporting results in the most objective manner I can muster. I do believe this drug can be dangerous. I am taking this risk of my own accord. Please read other blogs that discuss the seriousness of possible long and short term side effects.

Last edited by LowTane; 02-24-2009 at 08:55 PM.

Old 02-25-2009, 06:32 AM   #30
    oldlawyer
    (male)

oldlawyer HB User

The studies are very interesting. My gut feeling, however, is that this drug was designed to be taken at a higher dosage. Lowtane, we are about the same age and weight, and our results appear to be very similar with little or no side effects, even considering that from what you have written your condition was considerably worse than mine. The forgoing would seem to indicate that, all things being equal, I could take a safer, lower dose. The open question, however, is whether it makes a difference to our relative long term health that I will stop after 6 months and you will stop after 11 months. I will start the "recovery" period earlier, but may have more to recover from. You will start the "recovery" period later, but will have had the reduced stress on your body for a longer period. I am a lawyer, not a doctor, so I don`t know. As a classic type A personality, I just want this to work and be over and done as soon as possible. As long as I don`t have any really bad side effects, I won`t push for a lower dosage, longer treatment option. We will see how the blood work turns out. My triglygerides were always borderline high, my LDL low, but my HDL also low (5 to 1 ratio instead of classic 3 to 1). I will continue my 4 days per week on the treadmill (about 3.75 hours per week) and 3 to 4 days of weight training (about 1.25 hours per week) and see what happens. I am certain that by not drinking 2 to 3 nights per week my triglycerides will improve. Hopefully, any increase from the Tane will be a push, at worst. In any event, I have already lost a few pounds by not drinking, I am sure.

As for current side effects, after 9 doses of 40mg, I sleep very soundly, much more so than usual, and I remember more dreams than ever. I have some breakouts, but they come and go fast. For the first time in almost 40 years, I don`t worry about them because they will be gone soon and knowing there is an end is empowering. I have chapped lips, and some peeling on the nose, but no more oily skin. My face feels tight sometimes. Pores are markedly reduced. No temper Tanetrums (couldn`t resist) yet.

Optimism is the prevailing emotion.

Regards........

Closed Thread