It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• Low Dose Accutane

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-25-2009, 06:51 AM   #31
    LowTane
    (male)

LowTane HB User
    Re: Low Dose Accutane

Thanks for the update OldLawyer, very informative. See below for recent event:

25 Feb 2009
    Brand:Sotret
    Weight:90Kg = 200lbs
    Sex:Male
    Dosage:20mg once daily
    Symptoms: Dry lower lip
    Behavior: Cetaphil soap and moisturizer b4 bed

Day 21:
    I hate even reporting on this subject but I gotta. This affects both people in a relationship. I had noticed some sensation changes with this drug during intimacy in the very first days of usage. In my last encounter there was failure and I did not bother to try and finish the event. Now, you should know to put this in context that I am 48. However, this does not happen to me. I am and always have been right up till I started taking Accutane as regular as a clock, 3 to 4 times a week. What I also noticed, and maybe this is more frightening than the failure is that I didn't care. Normally, interruption of this event would cause extreme frustration. In this case it didn't bother me. You don't mind passing up a meal if your not hungry. This is significant, I am very prolific and have been my whole life. So, lets think about this. There are reports and possibly lawsuits because some people are reporting that the loss of sex drive continues even after the drug is stopped. It does make some sense, individuals taking this drug hope for remission. Meaning, after you stop the drug the benefits persist. The exact mechanism for how this drug works is not known. Oil production (the chief cause of acne) has been tied to testosterone and estrogen, which are also tied to sexual appetite. So if there is remission and longterm suppression of acne it stands to reason that suppressed sex drive could also be a result. Of course this is unprofessional layman speculation and should be taken with a grain of salt. It is to early to tell if this was just some mental event, its possible I suppose. I am very self aware though and know my body very well. I will test this out with stronger stimuli and see what the results are (I can't go into details here I am embarrassed to even be writing this as it is) after that experiment. If you surf up Accutane and sex drive, impotence etc.. you will definitely find results. I hope to give you the most accurate objective observations that I can. So, at this point I must say that I am very concerned and have some serious thinking to do. I will monitor this trend closely and discuss it with my Derm. I will continue to report to you as accurately as I can my experience on Accutane.

Note: If you are reading this, please don't jump to conclusions yet. All people respond to drugs differently. Women and men will have different attitudes about this observation. Some individuals report no problems with sexual activity while on or post Accutane.

Update: Read ahead, possible false alarm on the impotence scare.

Best Wishes
    LowTane

Last edited by LowTane; 02-26-2009 at 06:40 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-25-2009, 07:29 AM   #32
    drew25
    (male)

drew25 HB User

Hi Low tane
    Been reading your posts with interest as i've just started on low dose accutane myself.
    Quick bit of info about myself;
    I'm a 26 year old male who has suffered from mild/moderate acne with excessively oily skin for around 15 years. Weigh 75Kg
    Took my 6th 20mg accutane pill today - brand i'm using is Roche.
    From the first day i noticed a reduction in oil and everything seemed to be going great until yesterday. Noticed that i seem to be getting some rosacea symptoms that i didn't have before. My cheeks seem really hot and i look slightly read (not as much as i feel!). If this carries on i may reduce my dose to 1 tablet every 2 days so my dose would be 10mg per day. That's the only side effect i've experienced, still have acne on my forehead, but spots seem to be drying up nicely. Will keep posting on here. Be interesting to compare my progress with yours as i'm not too far behind you!

Old 02-25-2009, 08:15 AM   #33
    LowTane
    (male)

LowTane HB User

Thanks Drew for the input. I can tell you this, I have Rosacea. The first week and a half it definitely kicked up its heels. However, it subsided and stopped altogether. It may work that way for you as well.

Old 02-25-2009, 08:28 AM   #34
    LowTane
    (male)

LowTane HB User

25 Feb 2009

Day 21 cont-
    Allrighty then...... update on the sex drive post. Now mind you my moral beliefs prohibit some things. So this is tough for me.. Further attempts to utlize my natural processes met with success. I will continue to check on this capability throughout my Accutane course and after my prescription is complete. It is possible that I have read far to much material regarding the usage of this drug. I may be psyching myself out. Intimacy is such a mental event. It should be noted that 5 million people have now taken this drug. You would think there would be more on impotence if it was prevalent. I still do believe that individuals that have reported impotence are telling the truth. Things have changed in my body. I may have psyched myself out or maybe not. To early to tell. If you are following this thread you should also remember this evidence is anecdotal at best, and the reported experiences of just one person. I am not a health care professional and have had no formal training whatsoever. So, I will just try and be honest with what I experience as it happens. I will continue to closely monitor this aspect of this therapy. I apologize if I have offended anyone, I am trying to be as discreet as possible for both women and men who may read this thread. But, hair falling out, impotence, depression and a myriad of other side effects reported by individuals who have used Accutane warrant this level of reporting. The issue is not temporary impotence, its permanent impotence that has me freaked. Some individuals have reported this effect even after stopping Accutane. I don't trust big pharma or doctors implicitly. My wife and I value our intimate relationship and I don't believe I wish to trade it for a clear face. So hang in there, I will report daily to the best of my ability any notable changes that may occur. So for now the libido outcome is still on hold.

Ps. My wife says it looks like I had a nose job, I didn't realize how swollen it was from all the excess sebaceous activity.

Keep the faith!
    LowTane

Last edited by LowTane; 02-26-2009 at 06:47 AM.

Old 02-25-2009, 09:33 PM   #35
    LowTane
    (male)

LowTane HB User

25 Feb 2009
    Symptoms:Lower lip is a lot dryer than before. Cracking a little now.

Day 21 cont- cont-
    Well pill # 20 is on deck pretty soon here. I thought about the implications of the possibility of permanently losing my libido all day. I had read posts where it had been reported. So, I am kinda freaked. Things are still working so far. I will probably quit this drug and back track if I start to have numerous negative events. I will ask my Derm this month about what he has heard. I don't expect much feedback on this subject. Roche does not list this as a side effect and most people are squeamish about discussing libido. I guess I had two big fears going into this, losing my hair and my libido. My research cemented these two as my biggest fears. On the other side of the coin, damn..... I am loving my face. What a great break from the oily mess I had. I feel human again. I would like to remind anyone following this thread that I am type "A" all the way and have a tendancy to over analyze. This has its plusses and its minuses. I will observe the smallest detail and try to figure it out. If I finish this course of Accutane I will continue to report so that individuals may benefit from my experience. If side effects surface after therapy I will post the experience. I hope this helps someone out there. I feel like a human guinea pig. Wow! My face is great. I am blown away and yes still scared out of my wits at the same time. I would like to ask anyone else out there to post any changes in sexual behavior they may have experienced on this drug. Good or bad..........

Best Wishes
    LowTane

Last edited by LowTane; 02-26-2009 at 06:28 AM.

Old 02-26-2009, 08:31 AM   #36
    LowTane
    (male)

LowTane HB User

26 Feb 2009

Day 22:

Applied carmex to the lower lip and it worked like a charm. Face is now almost 100% clear. Blotches are fading and oil is gone. I am happy to say that all biological processes are working just fine. My blood test is coming up quick I am hoping cholesterol and triglycerides are acceptable. Can't forget liver enzymes too...... I am thinking that maybe the libido is going to be okay. I think that I have never been so concerned about a medication before and it may be causing some over reaction to normal events. We shall see. All of the horror stories on the web have impacted my psyche. I need to keep this in perspective. 5 million users, less than a hundred examples of web posts discussing permanently lost libidos. I hope I haven't freaked out any potential Accutane users at this point. If I did I apologize, if things do fail in the future I will try to alert blog readers to the problems in a sober manner. I will closely scrutinize all aspects of my body during the entire Accutane regimen. I will keep you posted.

Best Wishes
    LowTane

Last edited by LowTane; 02-26-2009 at 04:54 PM.

Old 02-26-2009, 11:00 AM   #37
    oldlawyer
    (male)

oldlawyer HB User

Well Lowtane, I too tend to obsess about things. At 48, I try not to worry about things beyond my control, but we made the decision to take this drug so in a way, we do control our destiny. For what it is worth, my libido is status quo, which is good. I am concerned with hair loss, but from what I read, that is mostly with younger males, and may or may not correct. So far, after 10 days and 400mg, all results are positive. My face is as clear as it has been in many, many years. The redness which was worse last week is almost gone. I notice my face whitening up daily, from the sides toward the middle. I look in the mirror and to me I look pale, but my skin tone is actually normal. My cheeck are smoother than ever. Importantly, and funny you should mention it, but last night I said to myself that I look like I had a nose job. My nose has basically returned to the size it was 25 years ago. I am amazed by the results. I am glad that things are going so well for you, also.

Old 02-26-2009, 05:09 PM   #38
    LowTane
    (male)

LowTane HB User

Well OldLawyer, thanks for the comments. I am jumpier than a longtailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs over this medication. I mean its just a fact, Accutane is controversial, period. I gotta say though, wow! What an amazing job it has done in healing my tortured schnoz and chin. I still blot out of habit sometimes, minimal oil is present. My nose is very narrow now. Still healing a few places and blotches are dimming. Luvvin it..........!!!!

26 Feb 2009

Day 21:

Well pill 21 is on deck, I may have messed up the count in prior posts. I am done freaking out for now over my private intimate life. For now..... Face and confidence are on a parallel path. Life is better than it has been in quite sometime. Dry lips are easily handled. No other side effects can be detected. Sleep just fine, no headaches or body aches like some individuals report. No night blindess whatsoever. I am really happy with the results. If there is no final potential price to pay for this amazing miracle drug I will be extemely greatful. I see people on the streets and in the classroom that have oily skin and blotchy painful looking acne and I want to say something to these people. Like "Do you realize you could possibly be completely clear of acne in less than a month?" Then I think about the controversy surrounding this drug and I keep my mouth shut. I can't recommend this drug because it scares the crap outta me............. I can report what I experience though and hope individuals that decide to use this drug based on what others say still realize it could turnout bad for them, regardless of the success others may have. Thats the bottom line..........

Best Wishes
    LowTane

Last edited by LowTane; 02-26-2009 at 05:11 PM.

Old 02-27-2009, 02:55 AM   #39
    drew25
    (male)

drew25 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by oldlawyer View Post
    Well Lowtane, I too tend to obsess about things. At 48, I try not to worry about things beyond my control, but we made the decision to take this drug so in a way, we do control our destiny. For what it is worth, my libido is status quo, which is good. I am concerned with hair loss, but from what I read, that is mostly with younger males, and may or may not correct. So far, after 10 days and 400mg, all results are positive. My face is as clear as it has been in many, many years. The redness which was worse last week is almost gone. I notice my face whitening up daily, from the sides toward the middle. I look in the mirror and to me I look pale, but my skin tone is actually normal. My cheeck are smoother than ever. Importantly, and funny you should mention it, but last night I said to myself that I look like I had a nose job. My nose has basically returned to the size it was 25 years ago. I am amazed by the results. I am glad that things are going so well for you, also.
    'The redness which was worse last week is almost gone'.
    Hi OldLawyer, great to see things are working out for you. With regard the above quote, did your redness get initially worse on accutane?

Old 02-27-2009, 07:40 AM   #40
    oldlawyer
    (male)

oldlawyer HB User

Hi Drew25.

The redness did get worse, especially on days 3 through 5. Then, it started to get better. Now after 11 doses the redness is markedly improved from what it was before I started. The oil is virtually gone, although like Lowtane, I check out of habit every few hours. I am starting to break out a bit more the last 24 hours, but the stubborn hard bumps that 2 weeks ago would have meant a 3 week sentence now break easy and wer virtually gone overnight, leaving only some discoloration and minor peeling. Be care about the peeling if it happens to you because pulling off the dried skin for me results in some red and tender areas, more like an abrasion than anything else, and I noticed that the disoloration lasts longer from this activity. I take my pill with dinner, which for me is about 7:30. I notice that I am not very hungry during the day, but when I start to eat dinner I am famished and eat a larger meal than before. Then, by 9:30, I am very tired. I sleep very well for about 4 hours, wake up in the middle of the night ready to go, then within an hour I conk out and the next thing I know the alarm is going off at 5:40. Not a good sleeping pattern, but I`ll take it. Good luck to you.

And LowTane, I must say I am hooked on your postings. I don`t check this on weekends, but I look forward to reading about your progress on Monday.

Regards to all.

Last edited by oldlawyer; 02-27-2009 at 07:43 AM.

Old 02-27-2009, 08:28 PM   #41
    LowTane
    (male)

LowTane HB User

OldLawyer, good to hear from ya.... thanks for chiming in for Drew. Its good to hear results from more than one person. Thanks for sharing the details of your therapy.

26 Feb 2009

Day 22:
    Well, I have realized that I will get to a point where my face will not advance any further. Once the Acne is gone and the oil has dryed up the only thing left will be scars. At this point my reporting will only consist of observable physiological ramifications that may present during the completion of this therapy. The next phase of interesting material may consist of posts logged after Accutane therapy is complete. Will there be a remission? Will OldLawyer's more conventional dosage get him a remission? Will my Rosacea symptoms come back while the Acne stays in remission? Will I become impotent? Will other long term side effects present months or years after suspension of Accutane therapy? Like my hair falling out as some individuals report. Or, is my Dermatologist correct with 20 years of Accutane experience when he says "poppycock?".......Will I need and Will I be able to talk my doctor into long term ultra-lowdose acctuane? If he does, will it help me to remain oil and rosacea free? Like say 2mg a day, 1/10th what I am taking now. Will the return of my youthful dashing good looks cause me to trade my wife in for a younger beautiful woman? Will I get Laser Genesis to erase the remaing micro-scarring? Or, will an asteroid hit the planet making all of these questions moot? More importantly, will I break 80 in golf? Well, I am rambling now. These are questions that my abstract musings produce over time. On a serious note, as I walked down the hallway at my Dermatologist office I heard him say over my shoulder "Accutane will change your life". I looked back him and I thought, I'm worried about it ruining my life. So here I sit looking at my new face thinking, regardless of the fear factor here, wow!, this drug has changed my life, it has for now given it back. I haven't been this happy in a long long time.

I will take pill 22 in about 30 minutes.

Keep the Faith
    LowTane

Last edited by LowTane; 02-27-2009 at 08:39 PM.

Old 02-28-2009, 10:39 PM   #42
    LowTane
    (male)

LowTane HB User

28 Feb 2009

Day 23 and Pill #23:
    Well, if any of you have been following this Accutane log you know by now I am an obsessive compulsive type of individual. I was agonizing over a momentary lapse in Libido due to all the web stories pertaining to that issue. Well I am happy to say that everything is normal, no problems. You can bet that if things go south (no pun intended) I will report those results. I did have Rosacea type flushing of the cheeks today following a dcaf latte. But I have also taken to having a 4 ounce glass of Cabernet Sauvignon before bed. I am wondering if either could be the cause of the flushing today. The Acne is in complete remission, I am luvvin it...........My nose is so narrow its hard to believe. I still have a few minor blemishes trying to fade away, but no new ones. I had a few minor blemishes on my back and they have dried up. Flaking of the nose etc... Well time for #23 and bed.

Last edited by LowTane; 03-31-2009 at 07:59 AM.

Old 03-01-2009, 12:38 PM   #43
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

Just wanted to put my two cents in. I used Accutane 3 times! The first two times, a very low dose..the third time, much higher. Almost a year in between each of my rounds, and each and every time by the time the year ended, my skin was twice as bad as I started! It seems for me, that as soon as the oil glands start to "repair" themsevles- my acne, which is mostly cystic- comes back tenfold.
    My derm suggested I try Photodynamic Therapy ALA , which is a more permanent solution. I had my first treatment on Friday...it was slightly painful, but by the time it was over, it wasnt so bad...the next day, I was red and flushed, like a sunburn, however no pain at all. Ive been moisturizing like crazy! What I do notice is that there isnt a blackhead or whitehead on my face- the two cysts which were starting to form went down significantly and the few actual pimples which were there dried up over night and are virtually gone. The scarring, which is what Im most concerned about - has not changed at this point, but my derm did say it takes up to a week or two to see any results and which probably take 3 treatments spaced 2 weeks apart to show significant differnce.
    Im stoked to see if this works. There are NO physiological side effects to this procedure...
    best of luck to everyone-
    nikki

Old 03-01-2009, 02:19 PM   #44
    LowTane
    (male)

LowTane HB User

Thanks Nikki for the input. I think my reading agrees with Nikki's two cents. Many inidividuals report remissions of up to 1 to 2 years. Although my Acne is not cystic my oil production is over the top. My intent is to change my life style and see if that helps at all. I have resigned my self to the fact that my situation might not change until I am a very old man and my testosterone and hormonal values change. But hey, who knows what the future holds. I also have high hopes for sustained microdose therapy of Accutane in the long term. Whether my Derm would go for that is another question. Some Doctors are reporting success in maitenance of Acne and Rosacea in the longterm with Accutane. I have read that with ultra-low doses some doctors are not requiring blood tests. So, we shall see what becomes me..... when this is all over in about 9 more months. So far, I am overwhelmingly greatful for the break in oil production and resultant Acne.

Best Wishes
    LowTane

Old 03-01-2009, 02:40 PM   #45
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

Low Tane- good luck to you. Having had some of the "worst case experiences" with Accutane- I decided to give the newer treatment a try. its basically proven to do the exact same thing- only permanently, and without having to take any meds at all. No side effects- a big plus! I also happen to have MS, which really doesnt affect me in a huge way, but the stress of bad skin, or the every present cyst- is enough to drive my stress level higher, thus increasing my MS symptoms, thus increasing breakouts! A never ending cycle, if you will.
    I wish you the best...really. i empathize and sympathize- check out the newer procedure that I wrote about- its been an amazing 48 hours watching my skin seem to actually dry up. 5 hours after the last post, I can honestly say my pores are shrinking! And, I look slightly smoother! The sunburn is gone- and Ill be fine to go to work tomorow...(and Im in sales- dealing with customers- that was a major concern!)
    Heres to good skin!
    Nikki

Closed Thread