It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• Low Dose Accutane

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-01-2009, 08:52 PM   #46
    LowTane
    (male)

LowTane HB User
    Re: Low Dose Accutane

Likewise Nikki, I wish you the best of luck. Thanks a ton for bringing up therapy for Acne I had never heard of..........
    1 Mar 2009
    Brand:Sotret
    Weight:90Kg = 200lbs
    Sex:Male
    Dosage:20mg once daily

Day 24:
    Pill 24 on deck, not a ton to report other than a few zits arrived and exited fairly quickly. Oil is still highly contolled, no side effects I can perceive easily. Little flaking here and there, lower lip etc.. I am definitely thinking already about the end of this therapy. I feel like the low dose over the longterm is easier on the body than the higher doses. Its hard to tell at this point that I am taking a drug at all. Rosacea with slight flushing here an there, but no papules or bumps anywhere. Pores have shrunk a lot, it will be interesting to see if they can even shrink more. Libido, check.. all good. I will continue to report as long as I can find something to say of substance. I feel like this is just a repeat at this point. So, I have taken to try and post something to read that may be meaningful. Well, its time.....

BestWishes
    LowTane

Last edited by LowTane; 03-31-2009 at 08:00 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-02-2009, 08:37 AM   #47
    oldlawyer
    (male)

oldlawyer HB User

"Generally accutane is introduced at a very low dose and is steadily increased over many weeks. There actually are no specific guidelines as to how much should be prescribed to each person. However, research shows that a total dose of around 120mg per kilogram of an individualís body weight is enough to banish acne for some time. "

OK, well if I do the math, I will need to take about 10,300 mgs to be "cured." That would be an average of about 57.25 mgs per day for 6 months. I am taking 40 mgs per day now, and I know I won`t be on that level for the 9 months it would take to reach optimum dosage. My guess is I will do a few months at 60 to 80mgs per day once the docs confirm my body has tolerated the lower dosage so well. My daughter, who weighs 110, did most months at 20mg and a few at 40mg, when the 20 stopped showing improvement. They cut her back down to 20mg before she finished.

Anyway, I go back to the doc in 2 weeks....bloodtest next week. I assume I will be ok with blood levels and enzymes. I am not ready to drink alcohol yet, because I don`t want to risk a bad test result (oh yeah, or my liver). At 14 doses in as of last night, I figure I am about 1/12 there! I am measuring this ride in terms of days, not mgs. I truly believe that within 30 days my skin will be completely clear and virtually oil free. If it takes another 4.5 months to keep it that way for a long time, then I will be a happy guy.

Old 03-02-2009, 08:43 PM   #48
    LowTane
    (male)

LowTane HB User

Good to hear from ya OldLawyer....Thanks for the input. Your musings are like mine. Even at a conventional dosage of .5mg/kg body weight ratio I wouldn't reach the vague pseudo cure dosage of 10,800 milligrams for around 250 days at 45mg. At 20mg we are talking 540 days or 18 months. So even my Derm has me scheduled for less than the recommended cumulative dosage. Unless he decides to keep going after we get to the 10 months he has me scheduled for.........Questions I will pose for him when I see him. Blood test is tomorrow.

2 Mar 2009

Well pill #25 is up and coming shortly. We got one medium doser and one low doser same age and weight on this board. We are both having amazing results with no real side effects. What have we learned. Well, both dosages are working. What will happen when we end our therapies? I don't know. Only one way to find out, we gotta finish this thing. I am in the same condition, none to moderate oil, libido works, and minimal skin flaking. Thats it for now. More to report after my appointment this week.

Best Wishes
    LowTane

Last edited by LowTane; 03-02-2009 at 08:44 PM.

Old 03-03-2009, 06:40 PM   #49
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

Hi Lowtane. The information you provided is spot on- except that Im not sure when it was published...my Derm has been doing this procedure for over 3 years now, so its not so new....and the part about minimal pain- Im not going to lie, for a few seconds it really hurt! I did have the ALA done, and the microdermabrasion first.....but the actual Laser which zaps you on top of the cream? That hurt like the dickens for a split second....20 times!! They do a section at a time of your forehead, cheeks, chin and lip area....about 20 zaps total! The down time is really minimal...here it is 4 days later, and youd never know that anything was done to me, although there are some areas of my skin which are sucking up moisturizer like never before! I dont think Ive ever had a dry skin day in my life....and here I am using cetaphil all over my face! The overall outcome of this is still iffy. my doc DID say (as your info said) 2-3 times this will be done...and I have another appt on the 13th (my goodness, friday the 13th?!) It will be round two- and IM curious to see if there is more of a differnce. Im almost afraid to say that nothing came out of this- because something sure did....but whether or not it was not enough "zap" or not, Im not sure...and Im afraid if she turns up the Zap, Ill be hanging from the roof! I think we will just let her do her thing one more time and see what comes of it..
    Cost wise, no- its not cheap...but considering how many times Ive paid for drugs, blood work, antibiotics, creams, lotions and potions- this isnt the end of the world..its about 600$ for each session....I was hoping to get away with only 2...but if 2 shows promise, Ill be shelling out a third round...and thats it. I swore to myself, my husband and everyone else who thinks im "beautiful" just like I am- that if this doesnt work, the next step is buying a mask!! They might not see the ice pick marks from injections, or the red marks from aggravated cysts (how can they miss them?) but they drive me nuts!

Thanks for posting what you did..makes me feel better to know what I told has been documented!
    Nikki

Old 03-03-2009, 09:29 PM   #50
    LowTane
    (male)

LowTane HB User

No prob Nik, I found the material very interesting indeed. Thanks for sharing.

3 Mar 2009

Day26:
    Blood test is done. I have an appointment day after tomorrow for my 1 month follow-up. I will ask some questions about dosage thats for sure. Well I hope this is helping anyone who wishes to monitor someone else's therapy b4 taking the plunge. I have my hair, and libido..... No bloody noses and vampire lips like some get on the higher doses. No thoughts of suicide or depression. No loss of night vision, no insomnia or nausea. Really, I can't tell I am taking this drug at all. Other than the loss of oil and the shrinking pores. Pill 26 is going down the hatch shortly. More to come..........

Peace
    LowTane

Last edited by LowTane; 03-03-2009 at 09:29 PM.

Old 03-04-2009, 01:06 AM   #51
    drew25
    (male)

drew25 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by LowTane View Post
    No prob Nik, I found the material very interesting indeed. Thanks for sharing.

3 Mar 2009

Day26:
    Blood test is done. I have an appointment day after tomorrow for my 1 month follow-up. I will ask some questions about dosage thats for sure. Well I hope this is helping anyone who wishes to monitor someone else's therapy b4 taking the plunge. I have my hair, and libido..... No bloody noses and vampire lips like some get on the higher doses. No thoughts of suicide or depression. No loss of night vision, no insomnia or nausea. Really, I can't tell I am taking this drug at all. Other than the loss of oil and the shrinking pores. Pill 26 is going down the hatch shortly. More to come..........

Peace
    LowTane
    Hi LowTane
    Just a quick note to say how grateful I am for your posts - very informative and entertaining! Quick note about my progress...currently on day 12 of 20mg per day and things are looking good! The flushing that i experienced between days 5 and 9 have subsided and i have only a few little spots on my forehead. The pores on the rest of my face have definitely shrunk - very impressed. Minimal side effects just the usual dry lips, but nothing a good dollop of vaseline doesn't sort! Thinks that's about it. Probably going to reduce my dosage to 10mg per day when i get to the 30 day mark - see what happens there...
    Cheers and keep posting!

Old 03-04-2009, 06:23 AM   #52
    oldlawyer
    (male)

oldlawyer HB User

Hello all. 16 doses in. Things continue to improve for me, also, albeit at a slower pace than the first 2 weeks. My skin is very dry, and peeling. Removing the dead skin is not recommended as it leads to raw spots that seem to last for a day or 2. The chapped lips were bad, but I found a product made by neosporin that works fast and very well. I have no new active breakouts, but I do have all sorts of stuff forcing its way out of my pores, which I found is best to leave alone. Most is removed by washing, which I do but that further dries the skin. All in all, it is better than what it used to be...the anticipation of looking in the mirror in the morning and not knowing what I will see. At least for now, anything that I see that I don`t like I can attribute to the healing process. There is no more swelling and inflamation, and that is a big relief.

Regards.

Old 03-05-2009, 05:47 AM   #53
    oldlawyer
    (male)

oldlawyer HB User

Hey LowTane-Are you OK? No post yesterday. I am hoping it is because you libido is so healthy you were too tired!

Old 03-05-2009, 08:58 AM   #54
    LowTane
    (male)

LowTane HB User

OldLawyer LOL... Talk about hitting the nail on the head. Man I am keeping a close eye on this libido thing. I have never really had to come to terms with the possibility of losing it permanently. I still have a roving eye and my wife is wondering if I am in my second childhood. I want to test it often, which is putting me over my normal schedule. She's telling me "its fine, enough already"..... I am happy to say to all of you potential taners out there that everything still works.

5 Mar 2009

I did my bloodtest day before yesterday and I have my appointment with the Derm in a couple of hours. I am virtually blemish free and oil is no longer a problem. My back had a few blemishes, now gone. I feel relaxed and better than I have in such a long time. Life goes better without the trauma of facial acne and Rosacea. Nose is narrower and no longer throbbing with over active sebaceous glands. I will ask my Derm about the future, cumulative dose plans etc.. I have no real side effects at this point. Slightly dry nostrils, very slight and mild micro flaking of the nose. The flaking is not even noticeable unless I scrubb to hard or wash my face to long. I use cetaphil moisturizer to shave with, apply it to my nose as well and leave it on when I exit the shower. So for now, life is okay. I have taken to having a 4 oz. glass of Cab Sauv once in awhile before bed. I drink more tea than anything and I have cut soda pop almost out of my life. I did my 27th pill last night and slept like a baby. Attacked my wife this morning, just to make sure!!! All is well for now. My hair is not falling out either. More to come..... after the Doc Appt.

Best Wishes
    LowTane

Last edited by LowTane; 03-05-2009 at 09:01 AM.

Old 03-05-2009, 10:25 AM   #55
    oldlawyer
    (male)

oldlawyer HB User

Ahhh yes...the roving eye. As for me, my skin was completely clear this morning. I am hoping the initial breakout is over. I have always been outgoing, even though I was self conscious about my skin. Today, I feel like a new man. To quote Al Pacino from The Devil`s Advocate...."Ahh, vanity"

I hope all went well for you at the docs LowTane.

Old 03-05-2009, 02:34 PM   #56
    LowTane
    (male)

LowTane HB User

OldLawyer, I know how you feel. My life and my attitude have just gotten better because of this highly controversial drug. I am glad for you to be able to go out and have the nagging nusiance of Acne off your back. Right on! Good for you.....

5 Mar 2009

Day 28 or somwhere close:

I went to the Derm and he was happy with the results. He has been working with Accutane with great results for years. He told me its possible to get a complete cure from this therapy. He doesn't however have high hopes that I will get one. He said most people get remissions, but not complete cures. At least in his experience. Now all this guy does at this clinic is Accutane. Thats his primary job description. So, he is the Accutane Doc at this clinic. He shocked me by saying he would like to take the dose lower after this next month of 20mg daily. I thought he would want to go higher. He wants to see how low we can go and still get the job done. He mentioned that most people end up doing Accutane more than once. I got the feeling he thought that if you have to do Accutane more than once it would be better if it were on lower doses. I agreed! In the old days some people were put on insane dosages of 80 to 100 miiligrams daily (and still are) with the idea that higher dosages gave a better shot at a cure. Studies in multiple countries have shown that low, medium and high dosages have resulted in longterm remissions. It affects different people in different ways. My Derm mentioned that he currently had one guy on one pill a week. He didn't say how much. If he goes off that pill he immediately reverts to his pre-acne state. So, to make a long story short, this blog may truly turn into an ultra-low dose blog after next month. I got the feeling we will stop this drug for sure. If I revert to my old state I will need to go back on Antibiotics. After a period of time of an un-specified length my Doc would let me go back on the tane...... So for now I am enjoying the lack of oil and zits. Now mind you I still have scars and some holes in my nose from prior bouts with Acne. But man, do I look a lot better. I just look kinda rugged and tough, yeah, yeah thats it rugged and tough. Well somehow I got a hot wife, so I guess I can survive the look. Well thats all for now folks, pill 28 is on deck in about 6 hours. Stay strong all. Just know this, Accutane works. Low dose might be all you need.

Best Wishes
    LowTane

Last edited by LowTane; 03-05-2009 at 02:37 PM.

Old 03-06-2009, 06:36 AM   #57
    oldlawyer
    (male)

oldlawyer HB User

Definately some food for thought, LowTane. My doc tends to be a high doser, and if my body tolerates it, I will go with that. She was much more optimistic about long term results. Common sense (which is dangerous) tells me that relapses in teens with standard acne as opposed to the more vascular rosacia type would be more prone to relapses, taking hormonal activity into account. Moreover, a 10 year remission would leave us with 58 year old skin, which should be less suseptible to the markedly increased oil production. Studies on Rosacia give it a life of 8 to 15 years in most cases. Having been in this boat for 13 years, I question that prediction, but I will admit that over the last 2 years, the episodes of really bad breakouts were decreased to a cyclical one week per month (but as we know, that episode affects appearance for the rest of teh month). Here is something else that you may be interested in: Although my skin was never really blemish free, the rosacea type acne did not really start until after I caught a mild case of the chicken pox from my kids at age 35, and the really bad redness did not start until 5 months ago, which prompted my derm appt. My doctor told me that the bad thing about getting a mild case of the pox as an adult is that mild cases can affect the vascular system. Within a month after recovery from the pox, I developed severe seasonal allergies that would only respond to steroids. Also, my blood pressure rose from 110/70 pre-pox to 170/120 post pox. I am on the mildest dose of BP meds available and that gets it down to 110/70 again, but if I go off it, the BP shoots up again. Keep in mind that although my diet ok but is not the best, I have an affinity for Jack Daniels and I have a high stress job, I exercise regularly, I am not overweight and all other vitals are good. My doc maintains that the pox was the trigger for all of this, including my skin. That is why he put me on antibiotics, which only worked well for a year and did nothing for the oil or the swelling of the nose. With accutane, all of the skin issues are now gone after less than 3 weeks. After I am done with my course, I will definately raise the issue of long term low dose, and if my derm won`t do it, I will go on this again if need be. If that doesn`t work, I`ll try the light show previously discussed in this post. The best part is that there are still options.

Until next week.......all the best.

Last edited by oldlawyer; 03-06-2009 at 06:38 AM.

Old 03-06-2009, 07:07 PM   #58
    LowTane
    (male)

LowTane HB User

6 Mar 2009

Day 29:
    All extremely interesting OL. I started to have gastrointestinal problems from a high stress job coupled with poor diet. Diet sodas had replaced water and alcohol was a weekly event. Rosacea surfaced right on cue with the gastro problems. Many Rosaceans report the same thing, gastro first Rosacea next. Who knows, its all anecdotal....could simply be age. Well on another subject I have had some possible side effects today. A headache that lasted all day and some strangely weird wooziness and head scrambling. I had to cancel a lecture give a takehome test which tickled my collegiate captives to no end. The headache left after a good size meal and 2 asprin. The more I read about this drug the more I fear it. To many times I have read " the exact mechanism for Accutane's success is unknown". This drug has been out for 27 years. It is the number one selling drug for Roche. I have read as many as 5 million have taken this drug. It has been considered for removal from the market by the FDA. Debates have been fielded on the congressional floor over this drug. I think I am wise to be fearful. What scares me is the articles that discuss the permanence of the side effects. I for one cannot wait to get my dose lower. I have considered skip dosing, but I am afraid I may not get a long term remission if I play ping pong with the plasma levels. I don't know who reads this, but these are the things I think about.

I don't know if this helps anyone reading this blog. I can say this, my face is better than it has been in years. It feels great.....I just wonder will there be an ultimate cost. Google up side effects and lawsuits and Accutane before you even think about taking this drug.

Pill 29 on deck, maybe..........

Best Wishes
    LowTane

Last edited by LowTane; 04-03-2009 at 08:05 AM.

Old 03-07-2009, 07:38 PM   #59
    LowTane
    (male)

LowTane HB User

7 Mar 2009

Day 30:

I took pill #29 last night. I have been reading horror stories all day off and on about this drug. I am having minimal side effects. I am still wondering if I should abandon this drug. I am thinking of skip dosing with two pills 20mg x 2 times weekly. To see if the dry oil free skin stays in place.
    I may be taking a break from this drug to assess my feelings.

Best Wishes
    LowTane

Last edited by LowTane; 03-08-2009 at 06:18 PM. Reason: posted disallowed website(s), copied from a website - please read the posting rules

Old 03-08-2009, 06:34 PM   #60
    LowTane
    (male)

LowTane HB User

8 Mar 2009

Day 31:
    So, I skipped pill number 30. I have decided that I wish to take the minimum amount of this drug. I will be taking 1 pill every Friday night. I am 100% clear after one month on this drug. I have decided that my sex drive is slightly dampened but functional after the 600mg that was ingested in the first month. I will bump the dosage from there if needed until I arrive at the minimum maintenace level required. I had another all day headache, I skipped a dose and the headache was gone the next day. Since the Derm has mentioned a second round of this drug as a matter of doing Accutane business I am not concerned about getting the drug. I guess this is what I really wanted all along. I decided to take charge of the dosage since I am the one that will have to pay in the long run. My Derm told me he has one patient taking one pill a week which shocked me. He didn't mention it before. Multiple studies address the efficacy of low bi-weekly dosing as an effective way to maintain and acne and Rosacea free state. It will take a lot longer to reach the total cummulative dose this way, but I feel starting low and moving up is better than starting high and moving down. I have found just to many horror stories and they have started to affect me. So, if were gonna go low lets go low and prove something. If I get a remission after an even lower dose regimen and I do it with the minimum amount of this horribly controversial drug the better. If I don't I can always go back and do the the the higher dose regimen if need be.... I probably won't though. Losing my bowel to Crohn's disease (the latest lawsuit by the way, just surf it up) kinda got to me. Until I get over that I am gonna have back off on the dose levels of this drug for mental satisfaction. We all know that Accutane at doses as high as 120mg's a day have been reported. We all know that Accutane clears horrible cases of Acne and changes lives. However, you gotta read the "Ask a Patient database" and read the 393 patient reports on this drug. I have major concerns..... More to come.............

Best Wishes
    LowTane

Last edited by LowTane; 03-08-2009 at 06:38 PM.

Closed Thread