It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• Low Dose Accutane

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-09-2009, 07:13 AM   #61
    oldlawyer
    (male)

oldlawyer HB User
    Re: Low Dose Accutane

LowTane
    While there are many reports of horror stories, I take them for what they are. As an attorney, I learned long ago that if my clients are happy with my services, they tell me; if they are not, they tell everyone. Over the last 5 to 7 years of free internet access and blogs, the stories I read seem to represent a relatively small sample. Most reports show that any side effects go away after the course is complete. At 40mg per day, I have not noticed any increase in frequency of headaches. My temper seems to be a little short at times, but it is no worse than when I am on prednisone, and I learned to control it. My bottom line is that as long as the side effects are not present, I have no worry. If they appear, I will assess it then. Aspirin and cough syrup and other OTC drugs all have side effects. Reading the labels shows some can be serious and long term. As long as I give full disclosure to my doc, I will let it ride.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-09-2009, 03:43 PM   #62
    chooch39
    Inactive
    (male)

chooch39 HB User

Hello Lowtane.
    I just want to put your mind at ease about any libido side effect or any side effect for that matter you are experiencing becoming permanent..It won't.
    I did the low dose thing for a few months,popped 10mg every 2 or 3 days.
    after a couple months i noticed a slight decrease in my libido, as you can
    imagine i freaked out, i continued taking accutane for a bit longer but decided
    to stop well before my 12 month plan...i think i took it for about 4 months.
    well after stopping.. my libido was back to normal very quickly..it also
    was affecting my hair slightly but once i stopped everything went back to normal....so no worries man..
    good luck.

Old 03-09-2009, 10:28 PM   #63
    LowTane
    (male)

LowTane HB User

Good to hear from ya Chooch. Thats cool.. Its nice to hear from other low dosers. But I must ask, what was your outcome after your accutane experience. Success, failure? Will you take it again. Did you have a remission etc... it would be cool to hear your story.

Old Lawyer, good to hear from you. You are right, there are side effects listed for every drug. There are lawsuits for multiple drugs on the market. Also, the sampling of horror stories is small in comparison to the number of patients who have prescribed this drug. I had wanted to go with a very low dose all along to feel this drug out. I know that long term antibiotics are no option either. I am torn between long term extremely low dose maintenance accutane and going for the high dose and hoping for a really long remission. I have skipped two pills so far and my headache and dizziness hasn't resurfaced. Could have just been a fluke and had nothing to do with Accutane. My derm is going to lower my dose next month anyway. So, still contemplating my next drug move. I do appreciate your reply. Good Luck...

9 Mar 2009
    Brand:Sotret
    Weight:90Kg = 200lbs
    Sex:Male
    Dosage:20mg every 4 days.

Day 32:

Well if you have been following along at all you know I am taking liberties with the dosages of this drug. I have backed off on the 20mg daily to 20mg every 4 days. I have no increase in oil yet from the lower dosage. I have felt better on the lower dose. My facial redness (flushed look really) is more normal skin tone now. I am still dry and have very mild flaking. I am 100 percent clear and my pores have shrunk 85%. I am loving this part of this, all things are better. I do believe some of the extremely high dosages doctors have prescribed some patients have really caused some terrible problems. My reading shows that a lot of people get remission but still come full circle back to acne and oil. Many people do this drug several times with long breaks in between. My goal is to go low and stay low and check out my results compared to hopefully someone on higher dosages. Maybe old lawyer will stay around long enough to be that guinea pig. Well all for now......

Best Wishes
    LowTane

Last edited by LowTane; 03-09-2009 at 10:29 PM.

Old 03-10-2009, 06:51 PM   #64
    Shidoshi
    (male)

Shidoshi HB User

Hello, I've just started taking a low dose at 20mg a day (10mg twice a day). I'm on my fourth day and have noticed some positive changes in skin texture and oil secretion, but very mild since I haven't been on it that long.

Interestingly enough, I've had issues with my lower lip being dry for a long time without having ever taken this drug before, and I can't even remember when it started so I've experienced zero "new" side effects thus far. My hair started noticeably thinning when I was 25 so I hope it doesn't accelerate it. I shave my head very close to minimize the appearance (not bald close).

I've had acne since I was 14 and it only got worse as I aged (now 30). It started on my face then my back, chest, shoulders, upper arms, some even on my forearms, thighs and occasionally around the calf. I think I pretty much get them where sebaceous glands are most prominent.

I've been able to control it somewhat through diet (low carb, no soda or sweets of any kind) but it's been very persistent for a long time and I'm fed up with it. If I didn't restrict my diet I probably wouldn't have a job right now because my skin would look like a warzone and I'd be too embarrassed to leave the house. In fact, I'm a firm believer that the cause of most skin problems is due to the modern diet of processed foods, sugar and carbohydrates (sugar before digestion). I think my diet over time induced this condition and it may have created a chronic problem that a change in diet might take a very long time to adjust, if at all.

I've passed on some very attractive women throughout my life, to the point where I've hurt people's feelings because I'd take an interest in them but would back off because of my insecurities, so I'm prepared to deal with whatever consequences come from this experiment.

Old 03-10-2009, 09:14 PM   #65
    LowTane
    (male)

LowTane HB User

10 Mar 2009
    Dosage:20mg every 4 days

Shidoshi, thanks for giving some details. I have dropped my dosage as everyone knows if they are following this board. I am down to 20mg every 4 days. I was going to drop to 1 a week but changed my mind. So right around 2 a week it is.. At first I had no side effects at all, and I am not sure that the things I am experiencing are related to Accutane. Dizziness and balance problems, just slight but noticeable. Also, articulation and short term memory have had some weird lapses. The good that has happened is that I have become 100% clear with 30 pills which equals 600mg in just one month. I have been blown away as to how tortured my sebaceous glands were. Not only has Accutane shrunk my very large pores, it has caused spider veins to disappear as well. I also think a very large part of what I am going through now is directly related to the modern industrial diet. I am trying to change those things now. I have stopped drinking soda pop entirely. I drink more water, I have cut out sugar and almost all alcohol. Caffeine is gone. I am closing in on 50 and I hope that I can reverse years of damage through diet, lifestyle and maybe this drug. Well I may have screwed up the count, but I just took pill thirty. I will keep you posted as time goes on. I know this can get boring at this point. So, I would love to try to get you readers to share your Acne or Rosacea story and find out whether or not you have tried Accutane. Please join and log in an and share your information with us. Lets get this board growing, with almost 3000 views in one month you would think more of ya would stick around and share some information. Please do, it has been extemely helpful to me when individuals share their stories. Well, thats it for tonight.

Best Wishes
    LowTane

Last edited by LowTane; 03-10-2009 at 09:22 PM.

Old 03-11-2009, 05:58 PM   #66
    chooch39
    Inactive
    (male)

chooch39 HB User

Lowtane,while i was taking accutane my face was pretty close to normal..
    hardly any oil and no breakouts..but once i stopped taking it the oil and
    breakouts started coming back...you see with low dose all you are doing
    is suppressing everything, once you stop taking it your face will slowly revert back to its old self.... you won't destroy the oil glands on low dose....to
    maintan an oil & acne free face you have to stay on the drug long term. Or
    take the normal high dose for 6 months and hope it destroys the oil glands.
    but since you have slight rosacea i would not take the high dose because
    that would push you into full blown rosacea and you don't want that..or
    you can scrape the drug all together and look into photodynamic laser..
    my advice to you is to go as low as you can...and if you have no side effects
    just keep taking it...i am thinking about trying it again...maybe see what i can
    get from 20mg a week...not sure though...its a love, hate relationship i have
    with this drug.
    good luck.

Old 03-11-2009, 09:02 PM   #67
    LowTane
    (male)

LowTane HB User

11 Mar 2009

Chooch, this low dose study done in Israel came up with some significant remission rates on low dose Accutane. Also, I have found many individuals who have taken high dose had their acne return. So, I am not sure what to make of it. Many doctors in other countries think the Americans prescribe too high of doses. Many researchers believe that it is the total cumulative does that counts. Low dose avoids the chemotherapy burn your oil glands to a cinder and hurt the rest of your body approach. The following study was conducted over a 4 year period. Read this and see what you think...........

To everyone else, I can vailidate one of Chooche's observations. So far with a pill every 4 days no oil, no acne and no real problems.

I removed this article to be in compliance with board rules: Google the following to find it.....

Israel: Low-Dose Isotretinoin for Acne Vulgaris

Last edited by LowTane; 03-31-2009 at 08:05 AM.

Old 03-12-2009, 02:07 PM   #68
    chooch39
    Inactive
    (male)

chooch39 HB User

"Continuous Use Offers Versatility A great benefit of using lower doses of isotretinoin is that it can be used continuously. There are other important advantages, as well. "In terms of pharmacoeconomics, it is cheaper to use lower doses, it is better tolerated by patients, has fewer side effects, fewer laboratory abnormalities, and of course the patients like it when they have continuous elegant treatment," Dr. Plewig said."

Key word in that statement "Continuous"

I agree with you lowtane that there are many people who
    relapse after taking high dose...80mg a day for 6 months.
    so how unlikely is it to get a long term remission from 20mg
    every 4 days, which works out to 5mg daily.
    So if it is cumlative that is the important thing.. at 5mg daily
    you have to take it for 8 years

80mg a day for 6 months =14400mg
    5mg a day for 8 years = 14600mg

Continuous use is what is the important thing with low dose..
    its called "maintance therapy".
    So if you are willing and able to take it on a continous basis you
    will maintain clear skin.

It sucks because we have been cursed with oil glands that are stimulated
    by the hormones flowing in our blood...its not that we have more male
    hormones then the average guy who has clear skin...its just our oil
    glands are constantly stimulated...so if you don't destroy them or
    shrink the crap out of them they will continue to pump out oil.
    good luck man.

Old 03-13-2009, 12:36 AM   #69
    LowTane
    (male)

LowTane HB User

12 Mar 2009

Chooch, heres the part I am talking about:

A total of 617 patients completed the study. In group 95% of patients achieved considerable improvement or complete remission of their acne;

Somewhere in that 95% were low dose Accutane users who acheived complete remission.

Where low dose is concerned my thinking is that the lower doses cause less damage to vital systems. I could tolerate a minute amount of strychnine once a week for a long time. However, a full cup would kill me instantly. I know that analogy stinks but its all I could come up with on short notice. Since the actual mechanism that makes Accutane effective is unknown, I believe it warrants extreme caution. I know there are quite a few individuals out there wishing they had never seen or heard of this drug. Many other countries are reporting responsible long term usage on much lower doses. I believe it is prudent and wise to re-think western methods. Many blogs report high dosage acne relapses. If someone starts on low dose, they can always later on try a higher dosage. At least they had time to feel out the drug and see if they can gain complete remission without as high a risk. I only posted two studies, there are more from Germany, UK, Turkey, Israel, Sweden etc... They are all advocating therapies that involve lower dosages, for very good reason I believe. So, for me, I feel much better trying the lower dose regimen before committing to a higher dose regimen. I certainly wouldn't recommend this drug to anyone without caution. I am 100 percent acne free on my entire body, with extremely minimal side effects thus far. I am maintaing that condition so far on 20mg's every 4 days. I bet based on how my body feels, that I could do it on even less. I intend to try and prove that point in the very near future. Dr. Plewigs study suggest some individuals maintain an acne free state with as little as 2.5mg's twice a week. To be fair, it is working for people with mild to moderat acne, I don't see a lot of low dose reports for really bad cystic acne. This drug completely cleard up my nasty oil acne riddled skin in one month. I am blown away. I had to take in 4 different studies which I printed out and show my Derm before he settled down to the idea of low dose. Now he seems to be fully on board with the idea. We could do American acne sufferers a big favor if we would all do the same thing. Educate them thar Doctors as to what the foreigners are up to with this controversial drug called Acctutane. Some Doc's may listen.

Well, enough conjecture for tonight.

Ps. I would rather take this drug for 8 years safely and remain acne free, than taking high dose for 6 months and possibly suffering from side effects for the rest of my life. However there are no real long term studies on low dose Accutane either. It could be just as risky.

Best Wishes
    LowTane

Last edited by LowTane; 03-13-2009 at 12:51 AM.

Old 03-14-2009, 08:28 PM   #70
    LowTane
    (male)

LowTane HB User

14 Mar 2009

Well I could see how you could get bored reading these boards. I am still marching along with the low dose Accutane. I started with 20mg a day and cleard my skin, shrunk my pores all in one month and 600mgs. I have since reduced my dosage to 20mg every 4 days. I am really tolerating the lower dose scheduling on the 4 day cycle. Sex drive definitely is different. Things work, but the miindset has been affected. I am not sure what to make of it. Oh well only time will tell. I will lower the dosage further after the next Derm appt. I am still very wary of this drug, but man, wow.....what a difference in my life it has made. Confidence, attitude and appearance have all improved. I am way happier. My pores have shrunk, my blotchines has evened out, skin is soft and taught. Just didn't realize how swollen glands and hyperplasia can change your appearance. Well, thats all.

Best Wishes
    LowTane

Last edited by LowTane; 03-14-2009 at 08:28 PM.

Old 03-15-2009, 08:16 AM   #71
    Shidoshi
    (male)

Shidoshi HB User

I'm on day 8 with no additional side effects (20mg per day). I've gotten some bumps on my chest and back but those were my most problematic area. All around, my skin is clearing up and my oil production is down.

I'll probably need to get a facial or something because I've got a lot of clogged pores in my T-zone that are very stubborn and I guess it doesn't help that I developed a habit of trying to squeeze them. I've probably made the problem worse not realizing it. Other than that everything is fine, no sexual problems, no headaches, just a dry lower lip that I had for a long time prior to taking Accutane. I find it's better if I don't wash my face with any products, I just rinse it off with water.

I think you've mentioned this Lowtane, but I also think most people will greatly benefit from eating a healthy diet in addition to this treatment. Diet was the only thing that gave me some relief before taking Accutane. I've never even taken antibiotics. You have to remember that acne isn't just some hormonal disorder, it's a symptom, almost like a warning sign that something isn't right and people need to heed this warning and not just "suppress" the symptoms. There's a reason why millions suffer from this disease in mostly developed countries.

Old 03-15-2009, 04:43 PM   #72
    chooch39
    Inactive
    (male)

chooch39 HB User

Lowtane, you say that your sex drive has changed, i am
    assuming your libido is damped..this is what happened to me
    when i took low dose...now that i am considering taking it again
    i 'm thinking that raising testosterone naturally(lifting weights,supplements)
    might counter act the effects accutane has on our libido.
    what are your thoughts?

Old 03-16-2009, 07:05 AM   #73
    LowTane
    (male)

LowTane HB User

14 Mar 2009

Well Chooch, I am only guessing here...but I don't think lifting weights will increase testosterone levels much. But what the hell, it couldn't hurt to try it out. Now the supplements, thats not a bad idea. Hopefully whatever you choose will not contraindicate with the Accutane. I am able to get around the damped libido effect with an adjusted mental attitude.

Shidoshi, you couldn't be more correct about helping Accutane therapy out. The modern industrial diet has provided us with many new diseases. One look at nature and we can see that proper diet and exercise keeps the animal kingdom acne free. I have cut out soda pop entirely. I have cut processed sugar to the absolute minimum. We are held captive by the shelves at Safeway. Unless you can grow your own food and hunt regularly you are basically screwed where sodium, sugar, cholesterol and fat are concerned. On your pores, mine have been giving up little hard spicules that come out when washing or just gentle rubbing. You may be shocked at just how tight your pores will get. Unless you have taken this drug before. I can't remember if it was you that posted this is your second time on Accutane.

Well good luck all, time for work unfortunately. I will keep plugging away with the lower dose regimen. I intend to go so low my Acne returns. I am flirting with the idea of longterm micro-dose. If I can stay clear on 2mg twice a week like Dr. Plewig's study suggest, I might try it. I have already noticed that 20mg every 4 days instead of every day has improved my libido.

Side effects minimal, definite slight damping of the sex drive. Extemely mild headach once in a while. Lower lip slightly dry. Thats it as far as I can tell...

Still 100% clear, with oil at an absolute minimum with just over 600mgs and only 40 days in........ unbelievable.

Best Wishes
    LowTane

Last edited by LowTane; 03-16-2009 at 08:16 PM.

Old 03-16-2009, 10:51 AM   #74
    oldlawyer
    (male)

oldlawyer HB User

Hello All

Went to the doc today. All levels good. She toyed with increasing the level from 40mg/day, but said with my skin so dry and my lips so chapped on what she considers a low dose for my weight she will wait until next month. Truth be told, I feel fine. I asked her about impotence or dampened libido, prefaced by I am fine but I keep reading......She said it simply is not a side effect. As far as I personally am concerned it is not. She said that if I notice any side effects at all I should call, any time. She cautioned about reading web material as it can "drive you nuts" and you should be aware of the side effects and judge for yourself. I could not agree more. I do not fear accutane. So far, it has been just what I needed. So for now, I will likely not post much unless something changes.

My best wishes to all.

Old 03-16-2009, 08:26 PM   #75
    LowTane
    (male)

LowTane HB User

16 Mar 2009

Good to hear from ya OldLawyer, I am glad all went well at the Docs. On the internet thing, most Doctors will say the same thing with the web reading. I tend to agree to a point, but doctors are people and they are fallable. I don't believe they are perfect in their overall outlook on many things. They do however run businesses, and that in itself is an issue. You probably have run into self appointed lawyers and have the same reaction. But, the web is an incredible source of information, anecdotal yes, and produced by lay people with no formal professional training. Its all true. My case in point would be this, either your Doctor just hasn't heard of this side effect before or the multitude of individuals who report loss of sex drive after engaing in Accutane therapy are wrong. Someone has to be right, only one or the other can be true. I can find lots of people reporting this side effect. It is possibly a rare side effect in comparison to the millions who have taken Accutane. To give her credit, she probably just hasn't run into it before and believes it is not a valid side effect. I can accept that, doesn't make all the individuals reporting this side effect wrong either. It has definitely affected my libido, which is something I am very tuned into, it is slight but noticeable. As long as it isn't permanent I have no problem with this effect. It's not uncommon for many different drugs to effect libido. Albeit temporary..... Many individuals support this finding in multilple places. The web has its place and for the most part Doctors are right in suggesting that you should take web reading with a grain of salt. However, Doctors learn most of what they learn about drugs from patient feedback. Studies conducted on drugs also rely somewhat on patient feedback. The same type of feedback that is posted by every day regular people on the web. So, in the end, it is a mixed bag of nuts. Doctors in the past never had to face patients armed with so much information, some reliable and some not so reliable. My Doctor prescribed my wife Ambien and her throat swelled up and she had trouble breathing. Ambiem reported this side effect on their website as anapyhlactic shock. They suggested discontinuing the drug immediately. My Doctor who had been prescribing Ambien for several years had never heard of this side effect before. He knows now.......

I remain cautious but optimistic about this amazing controversial drug. Everyone is different and may have different side effects.

Best Wishes
    LowTane

Last edited by LowTane; 03-17-2009 at 09:17 PM.

Closed Thread