It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• Why is it that when i get a pimple it leaves a dark spots when its gone?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-19-2003, 06:39 AM   #1
    NYKID
    Veteran

NYKID HB User
    Post Why is it that when i get a pimple it leaves a dark spots when its gone?

Why, its so annoying,if it wasnt for the dark spots my face would be clear for the most part.

It seems liek after every pimple i get it leaves a dark spot that stays around for weeks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-19-2003, 07:02 AM   #2
    jenguard82

jenguard82 HB User
    Yup, that does suck. It's bad enough having to deal with the bump. But after the bump is gone you have to deal with a mark. Don't worry you aren't the only one with this problem. Just leave the marks alone and don't pick at them, they will eventually go away.

Old 09-19-2003, 07:32 AM   #3
    jagdm27
    Inactive

jagdm27 HB User
    Hey guys! I go through the same exact thing. I definetly don't pick the and I still get a mark! Waht is the deal???? But I gotta tell ya I have been using Oil Of Olay Regenerist Serum only before I go to bed and only my spots and they are starting to clear away! I can't believe it!!!! It takes a couple of weeks to really see results, but WOW what a difference!

Old 09-19-2003, 07:37 AM   #4
    froe
    Inactive
    (male)

froe HB User
    Dear jagdm27

You are currently on Olay Oil Regenerist? Could u plz tell me your process of point on your topicals? like what u put on during the morning and night? Do u use a moustirizer? Do u use the sunblock? I know there is also a Regenerist product with UV protection - do u use that as well? I hear that some people apply the serum twice a day. I hear that some people prefer the perfectin cream. One person applies both at night.. first the serum, then waits an hour, then the perfecting cream. Oh well. Any reply would be appreciated.

Old 09-19-2003, 01:06 PM   #5
    jagdm27
    Inactive

jagdm27 HB User
    Hey Frogprince! Here's my routine:
    1. In the AM I wash with Neutrogena Pore Refining Cleanser, and lately I have been using Healthy Defense 30spf moisturizer
    2. At night I wash with Neutrogena oil-free Acne wash,
    then I use Witch Hazel to tone with because it is mild and makes my skin feel so clean and smooth. Then I apply the Regenerist Serum. And I have any pimples, which I usually do, I use Neutrogena on the spot acne treatment! That's it.

Hey by the way I notice you are from Boston. I am from Rhode Island practically your neighbor!

Old 09-19-2003, 02:46 PM   #6
    wicketglen7

wicketglen7 HB User
    The dark spots are infection sites. This is what my derm told me. They are still considered to be not healed acne because it is an infection site.

Old 09-19-2003, 04:01 PM   #7
    crazyabout blue
    Inactive

crazyabout blue HB User

The Olay Regenerist helped fade away my brown spots left by acne. Took about 3 1/2 weeks.

Im currently using Aminogenesis and its working a lot faster. To my suprise, i havent broken out since. The pimples became smaller.. and any pimple that i popped healed quickly. I have mostly brown spots.. i hate 'em!!!!

Old 09-19-2003, 05:33 PM   #8
    NYKID
    Veteran

NYKID HB User
    Me too crazy, im talking nicomide and it has reduced my break outs its the dam dark spots that are killing me !!!!!

I really need to get rid of them they been around too long. I got a pimple last week around my chin and its gone but left a dark spot, i really hate knowin that gettin a pimple is only half the problem cause chnces are its gonna leave a dark spot.

The renegerist is makin me break out :-( I hae been only applying it to these 3 specific dark spots and now i have a small red pimple right on top of one of those spots.

I dunno whats worse the now, the dark spot or a red pimple.

Old 09-22-2003, 07:22 AM   #9
    jagdm27
    Inactive

jagdm27 HB User
    My problem is most of these scars are from years ago. And yes I seem to get them now as well if I break out. I hate that. Because you know it is going to follow after the breakout. WHY?!?!

Old 09-22-2003, 07:45 AM   #10
    NYKID
    Veteran

NYKID HB User
    jagdm27
    It sucks to go threw. I feel so close to almost being clear its the damm dark marks that i cant rid of that have been on my face for months. My break outs are fewer now then in the past but now im scared that when i do get a pimple it will leave another red mark.

Another thing that ****** me off is that one red mark on my cheek whci hi hated was starting to fade away completely then i got a lil red pimple right on top of it. I also got a another little red pimple right on top of the dark spot on my forehead.

Its really unfair its liek some one is f*&king wit me.

Old 09-22-2003, 11:38 AM   #11
    jagdm27
    Inactive

jagdm27 HB User
    I know your pain NYkid! What is the deal?!?
    Mine are almost gone as well, but still visible to me and I HATE IT! I dread getting a zit because you just know what is going to happen. But, my question is why do they leave a mark? I don't usually touch them. So, what is the freaking deal? I just want them to all go away FOREVER!

Old 09-22-2003, 11:52 AM   #12
    SweetJade1
    Senior Veteran

SweetJade1 HB User
    NYKID,
    Hey, I read your message to me on the other post, but I wanted to respond to this one under here. What kind of acne treatment products are you using? Certain ingredients can irritate your skin and cause it to burn (scar) or hyperpigment (dark spots, blemish).

Now, BP lots of people love but I HATE it. It leaves marks, I prefer to say blemishes though, on my skin after it has (itchingly) eliminated my zit. Also if you use something that is too strong and especially TOO OFTEN, sure you zap it but you will also irritate your skin, cause a blemish or burn it.

That's why I don't use Benzyol peroxide, but do use Salicylic Acid and other exfoilants (glycolic, AHA, acetic, etc). Now Exfoilants will do the above so you want to make sure that it is not too strong for you skin. I'm capable of using 20% AHA on my skin, but usually use between 5%- 10% on a daily basis. As for the BHA (salicylic acid) I tend to use mainly 2%.

I love BHA because under normal usage conditions, it doesn't leave a mark (get Paula's 2% SOLUTION, wonderful healant). They make formulas with 0.5, 1, 2, 5, 6, and 10% Salicylic Acid. Now I know that 6% will burn my skin and I still have 1 burn mark from 3 years ago that is slowly lightening (trying various things there). So always remember not to use something more than 1-2x a day if it's job is to exfoilate, dry up, etc....you'll make it worse in the long run

Personally, I am with you, I didn't like how it felt to have cysts, but it was much worse when you have the actual blemishes to deal with. I know some people get upset when someone complains that all they have left are the marks, but those marks are just as damaging and limiting to us. Of course some people can cover with makeup, but I usually don't. When you've got body acne, you really really can't do much with that but cover up with clothing, even when you're a girl and should be able to wear all the "latest trends"

Ok, so your breakout will last a few days - a few weeks and then the cycle starts over again right? Well those blemishes just keep piling on. The LONGER it takes to get rid of your acne the more likely you will get a blemish. Unfortunately, depending on the type (sometimes there a zit underneath) they can last several weeks - years!!!! That's a long time for some silly zit, don't you think?

That's why it's IMPORTANT to CONTROL yourself when you are zapping those guys! The sooner you treat a pimple (even if you can't see it) the better your chances are of avoiding a blemish, but not if you go overboard. Using sunscreen (spf 30 or highre) will also help. Using natural exfoilants such as Lemon juice (can itch if over used) and Vinegar (acetic acid) will greatly help prevent and work on existing blemishes.

In fact, Lemon juice seems to act as a catalyst when used underneath a skin lightener (kojic acid, HQ, licorice, bearberry, etc), shortening your lightening time. Be careful though because some people can be allergic to certian ingredients in even the best skin lightening formulas and as such, can breakout even while there skin is evening beautifully (going in circles here). Find something that has the least amount of ingredients so that you can avoid problems. The best of skin lightening formulas work well because they also exfoilate. Therefore, some are actually good to use all over or as a spot treatment for acne. Just don't OVERDUE it or you will get burned!!!

What's great about Vinegar is that it helps to exfoilate, shrink pores, and lighten (due exfoilation) and does so seemingly without irritation for me at least. This is my personal formula for this 50% Apple Cider Vinegar, 50% Distilled (purified) water, and 4 - 6 asprin tablets. Keep in fridge if you like and apply no more than 2x a day. For the aspirin, find a formula that uses the least amount of ingredients and you can even make a mask out of these tablets & aloe (or a cleanser), but again...be careful. Oh yeah and since Aspirin contains Salicylates you should find that it helps reduce inflammation and Vinegar also helps with acne reduction.

That's all for now, take care =)

Old 09-22-2003, 01:04 PM   #13
    taz_17

taz_17 HB User
    hi... i'm new here... actually, i've been reading a lot from you guys lately.. and have read posts last year, when i decided to get microdermabrasion to get rid of .. as you all hate...YES! acne spots!.. i've had mine since high school and i'm now 26 yrs old! microdermabrasion did reduce the size of spots but it was too expensive and i cannot afford to have a lot of sessions.

maybe what wickedglen7 said is correct for me at least because those areas that i have spots (about an inch above my jawline) new acne always pop up on the same spot, it's like it really is not healing but just hiding and then comes out again when you're under stress or have not been able to put benzoyl peroxide above it..

i do feel though like i have to tell you my story... eight years ago i've had it with skin care products.. i felt that it's only making my skin more sensitive and acne prone, so i decided to just use plain hypoallergenic soap and 2.5% benzoyl peroxide.. which i later found out, i've been doing the "REGIMEN" from ********, my fault though is that i never use moisturizer in my acne prone skin (which is a large area of my face) i dab only small amounts in those are that get dry..

when i went to get my microdermabrasion, the lady aesthetician said that my face was very oily and very dry at the same time so maybe i am using the wrong products.. she did not try to sell me any products though so i thought that she was very genuine when she said that and when i looked at my face.. i realized maybe she is right because my cheeks are kinda pinkish/red... then i thought maybe because it is indeed dry.. i am afraid to put moisturizer at that area because that used to break out..

anyway, so i did research on what moisturizer works.. and i decided to try out with one that has good reviews with low cost, neutrogena sheer oil free for combination skin with spf 15, this moisturizer seemed to make my skin oily at first but later on it's not very oily anymore and it did improve cheeks

then i started to check out the good things out in the market today... after 8 yrs! when i swore off skin care products.. anyway, here is the punchline of my very very long post.. in my office there is a company store in which they sell origins line.. i tried out their moisturizer and it did very good for me..btw, i have asian skin and then i tried Origins SEE THE LIGHT Spot Care, it says on their back cover that it is for diminishing brown spots.. so i tried it and it really worked for me!!! it worked even better than my microdermabrasion... and i paid only $12 for it, since i bought it in a company store and they sell everything at a lower price sometimes almost 50% discount, anyway.. i don't know how much this product is in retail since i looked at their website and it's not there so i was wondering if this is discontinued.. but it says at the back cover that it has these ingredients:
    Vitamin C, Licorice Extract, Cucumber and Lemon

SweetJade1 did mention Lemon in her post and licorice... maybe that's why this product works... i'm sorry for my very long post guys... but i am just so happy about my skin right now.. i have had very good improvement with see the light and night-a-mins by origins.. although i think they both smell like cigarettes! i also just recently tried queene helene mint julep masque as i've read in this board, it works well and it worked for me too... http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/dance.gif

Old 10-01-2003, 09:31 PM   #14
    SweetJade1
    Senior Veteran

SweetJade1 HB User
    bumping

Closed Thread