It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

List of Foods that DO cause breakouts

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-01-2003, 04:06 PM   #1
pageantchicka16
(female)

pageantchicka16 HB User
Lightbulb List of Foods that DO cause breakouts

Hey everyone! My mom and I knew what foods broke my face out then I went to a doctor for diseases for the skin and he gave me a list too! So here ia what mt paper says:

FOODS HIGHEST IN IODINE AND BROMIDE TO AVOID

*CHOCOLATE
*VITAMIN-MINERAL COMBINATIONS
MINERALS (IODINE) IN KELP
VITAMIN-MINERAL COMBINAIONS
*TOMATOES
*PIZZA
*TOMATO SAUCE
*KETCHUP
*STEAK SAUCE
*MARINATED MEATS
*MUSHROOMS
*GARLIC
*IODIZED SALT
*FRESH APPLES
*APPLE CIDER
*APPLESAUCE
*BANANAS
*TUNA
*SHRIMP
*LOBSTER
*CRAB
*SMOKED HERRING
*OYSTERS
*SALMON
*COD
*ANCHOVIES
*EEL
*WHITING
*AUSTRALIAN FROG LEGS
*GREEM BEANS
*GREEN PEAS
*CAULIFLOWER
*ASPARAGUS
*CABBAGE
*SALAD DRESSINGS
*POTATOES
*SUGAR
*OILS
*RESTAURANTS
*FAST FOOD CHAINS
*DORITOS
*SCHOOL LUNCHES
I have really noticed that these foods have broke my face out (i haven't eaten all of thenm tho) especially sugar. It is hard sometimes to find the foods put if a clear face is the result... i will do it. my face is doing really good right now... i am getting over a breakout from yogurt i ate!!!! the piece of paper also says this:

"If you feel that your acne is sever, please avoid all the highest iodine-bromide foods listed. If your acne is mild, you must still avoid chocolate. You may eat chocolate substitutes. It would be best to avouid the entire list above at first until yuor acne clears completely. Thereafter, you can experiment with high iodine foods. The acne should flare within 12 to 34 hours after ingestion if you are sensitive."

ALSO, FOR THE IODIZED SALT WHICH IT SAYS TO AVOID, YOU CAN BUY SALT THAT IS IODINE FREE BUT LIMIT THE INTAKE!

I DONT KNOW HOW MANY PPL WATCH "THE VIEW" ON ABC, BUT LAST WEEK THEY DID A STORY ON ACNE AND HAD A GIRL AT A RESTRICTED DIET FOR ONE WEEK (SHE HAD SEVERE ACNE) AND WITHIN ONE WEEK, U COULDN'T EVEN RECOGNIZE HER IT LOOKED SO MUCH BETTER! HERE ARE THE FOODS THAT THIS DOCTOR SAID TO STAY AWAY FROM:

Acne Causing Fruits & Vegetables
Mango
Papaya
Banana
Peas
Carrots

Acne Causing Foods
Bagels
Pita
Rice cakes
Rice
Pota

ALSO, ALMONDS ARE SAID TO HELP A LOT!

------------------
*~*k阮Ѱ*~*

[This message has been edited by moderator2 (edited 10-04-2003).]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-01-2003, 04:30 PM   #2
backtomyoldself
Veteran

backtomyoldself HB User
I am going to starve to death! Your list is helpful though. Thanks for sharing.

Old 10-01-2003, 04:37 PM   #3
CottonCandy

CottonCandy HB User
I disagree with some of your food choices. They have cause breakouts for you, but I just want to let everyone know that most likely many of those foods won't cause breakouts. Carrots are high in vitamin a, salmon is supposed to be GREAT for the skin. Apples have a lot of fiber and not a lot of sugar, so those are also good for the skin. I eat mango and green peas all the time also, and I don't have a problem. So don't think that u have to starve yourself!

Old 10-01-2003, 04:57 PM   #4
Island Girl

Island Girl HB User
I totally agree with CottonCandy, those foods may break you out, but not everyone. I also know garlic is very healthy for you, I also think its used for treating acne in diets..so I heard. Basically all the vegetables you listed are good for the skin, I've done my research. But thanks for sharing anyways.

Old 10-01-2003, 05:03 PM   #5
hockeyman

hockeyman HB User
hahahahahahhaaaha fresh apples, oookay they sure break you out, not, so what the hell is everyone suppose to eat the rest of there lives, broccoli and drink only water, stoppppppp worrying so much

Old 10-01-2003, 10:04 PM   #6
SweetJade1
Senior Veteran

SweetJade1 HB User
Hey,
That is a loooong list there, but you now what I definately saw a lot of foods in there that other former acne sufferers are avoiding and as such are now CLEAR. Thing is, not EVERYONE has to avoid ALL of THAT! ;-)

Personally my kickers are Soda, Cherries, Bananas, Peanuts, Refined Cereals and Gluten Containing grains (NO WHEAT, Barley, Rye, and some others). Otherwise, I eat everything else on that list (like chocolate). What's interesting though is that Fresh Papaya is mucous forming for me (so it may also cause me to breakout), but I've only had fresh once (usually dried if at all).

IF you want a shorter list, just test out avoiding the top 10 allergens. They are actually listed in that loong list, and they include certain grains (Wheat, Corn,) Soy, Egg, Peanuts, Shell Fish, etc. So there is nothing flawed or insane about that list. In terms of nutritional value, who cares??? I mean that in the sense that if it causes you a problem, your body doesn't need to get those nutrients from THAT particular food. There's ALWAYS other sources or you can take a multiple vitamin.

The only other thing I want to say is that that list of foods, are all considered Glycoproteins. In fact, all foods contain Glycoproteins, but not all are problematic. Glycoproteins are the Starch/sugar-proteins that induce allergic reactions in people. Therefore those foods technically can ALL be considered Carbohydrates, or in otherwords SUGAR. Those that aren't, can mess up our Insulin levels and other hormones, along similar pathways.

Yup, so I absolutely love how we come up with all these "reasons" as to why the SAME foods are problematic. Too much Iodine, Too much Heat, Too much Sugar....OK, fine. I've got some of the answers as to why sugar is the problem and I would love to hear why people say it's the others. Possibly because they induce inflammation in your system that comes out as Cystic acne and they they act as enzyme inhibitors (body can break them down), but any other reasons??? Either way, the SAME foods, yet for different reasons, keep popping up....hmm maybe there's some truth to this afterall.

Thanks for the post ;-)

Old 10-02-2003, 05:38 AM   #7
rhyuths

rhyuths HB User
hi i am asian so my staple food is rice, if i have to start avoiding that, what can i eat to ensure myself enough energy for the day..as it is i am severely underweight

Old 10-02-2003, 06:19 AM   #8
jagdm27
Inactive

jagdm27 HB User
Quote:
Originally posted by jagdm27:
Here's some interesting myths I want to share
"Myths
What does the idea that eating chocolate causes pimples have to do with alligators living in the sewers of New York City? Nothing. There's no real correlation. They're both myths, like many of the statements below. Get the facts on acne and clear up the confusion.

Myth #1: Eating chocolate and greasy foods-like French fries-causes breakouts.
The facts: Dermatologists say there's no evidence that sugary or fried snacks affect your skin. If, however, you find that you tend to break out more after eating a certain food (for example, some people find that the iodine in foods like shellfish and sushi causes breakouts), eliminate that food from your diet and see if your skin clears up. Also keep in mind that while junk food can't be directly blamed for breakouts, healthy skin (not to mention a healthy body) requires nutrition from a well-balanced diet.

[This message has been edited by jagdm27 (edited 10-01-2003).]
PageantChicka16, while I do agree that "certain foods" may cause breakouts , I disagree that pertains to everyone. Your list is helpful and probably true for certain foods, but I enjoy eating way too much to worry so much all the time. Life is too short!
If you do eat these foods high in Iodine then drink tons of water so you flush out all the negative!
Water is the key to it all! C'mon let's go have a piece of chocolate! LOL !!!!

Old 10-03-2003, 07:29 PM   #9
pageantchicka16
(female)

pageantchicka16 HB User
hey everyone thanks for posting!~ the things that I posted are some from what i have experienced to break me out but all the rest are a list i was given so i am not agreeing or disagreeing with all of these foods i just wanted to inform you all of what i kno!

------------------
*~*k阮Ѱ*~*

Closed Thread