It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• Tried everything for acne, now on Spiro

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-29-2009, 07:05 PM   #1
    RedViolyn
    (female)

RedViolyn HB User
    Tried everything for acne, now on Spiro

Just wanted to give everyone and summary of my situation. I've had acne for 10 years, sometimes mild, sometime moderate. I have been on EVERYTHING- literally, you name it, Retin A, Accutane, about 4 different oral contraceptives, antibiotics, EVERYTHING. I recently started Spiro at 100mgs a day, and after two months, saw minimal, if any improvement. I've now been bumped up to twice that, which will hopefully kick it into gear.

As for the effects, my skin is less oily, which is good. I haven't noticed ANY decrease in sex drive at all. I know that's a common symptom, but haven't had that at all. As for energy, I am exhausted almost all the time. So far, that's a real downside of this medication. I've been sleeping a lot more and am far less motivated during the day. That part is kinda getting to me....

Anyways, hope to report with good news soon...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-01-2009, 12:35 PM   #2
    KristaK
    (female)

KristaK HB User
    Re: Tried everything for acne, now on Spiro

Same here.
    I've even tried Proactiv.
    It helped alot, but not nearly as much as soap and mild water.
    So no matter what you think, soap and water does do miracles.
    It all wont go away but trust me it helps!.

Old 05-11-2009, 06:10 PM   #3
    kilgore52
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

kilgore52 HB User

Nothing surface will help hormonal acne. It is from our hormones!!! We have a gene in our family that causes cystic acne. No amount of cleaning my skin or eating the right thngs will help. The accutane took most of the oil, but nothing for my testerone that causes cystic acne. Spiro is a androgen blocker (testerone blocker). That is what Spiro does. It is used to block the too much male hormone that some of us has. It is a miracle for me. It took 5 months on 200mgs to clear me of all acne. My skin glows now. I am down to 150 mgs and no change, but I would not go under 100. It won't work for me. If you are tired, the key is water. lots of it. Some say that dehydration causes the tired feeling and lack of sleep from getting up in the night to pee pee does too. Never take Spiro after 3:00 in the day. That works for me. Your body will adjust. The results are amazing. I am in a dream come true state when i wake up and see my poreless perfect skin.

Old 06-10-2009, 08:11 PM   #4
    RedViolyn
    (female)

RedViolyn HB User

That's good to hear. It's been 3 months now and the results are wavering. I will go a few weeks with ok skin and a few weeks with bad. So I'm still try pretty frustrated. However, some of the side effects have decreased. I'm not nearly as tired as I was the first two months. Here's to hoping it becomes more effective!

Old 06-14-2009, 04:47 PM   #5
    kilgore52
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

kilgore52 HB User

What dose are you on? Don't give up cause it will work.

Last edited by kilgore52; 06-14-2009 at 04:47 PM.

Old 06-22-2009, 06:31 PM   #6
    SamN
    (male)

SamN HB User

Have you considered going to see a laser dermatologist?

Dr Scheibner has done an amazing job on my acne... you should check out this option. The Scheibner Centre should have some good information on alleviating acne

Old 06-22-2009, 07:55 PM   #7
    kilgore52
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

kilgore52 HB User

Thanks for the info, but when women have hormonal acne, it is not the same as acne on the surface of the skin. The laser can get rid of bacteria and sebum which can cause acne plus scars, but hormonal is a whole different type. We sometimes have more testerone than a women needs and it causes facial hair, shedding of hair sometimes and lots of skin problems that most males tolerate well. We don't. The Spiro for this type of problem blocks androgen (testerone blocker) and clears this up. The problem is that once you get off the med, then it comes back.

Closed Thread