It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

tazorac and peeling skin

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-06-2003, 09:14 PM   #1
mommajean

mommajean HB User
Unhappy tazorac and peeling skin

My daughter has been using .5% taz, and the drmatologist has changed this to 1% plus added benzoil gel and clindamyacyn. She has been taking orthotrycyclin for about 2 months, and just started her first year of college. Between stress and hormones, her face is really a mess. Her skin is really dry, tight and peeling. Does anyone have any suggestions to help her with the dryness? She is so self conscious about how her face looks, she will hardly leave her room.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-06-2003, 09:18 PM   #2
latayy26
Veteran
(female)

latayy26 HB User
I use Clindamycin in the topical LOTION form and that really gets rid of my dryness and also treats acne at the same time. Make sure she's using a gentle cleanser since Tazorac is strong and can be very irritating. If the Ortho Tri Cyclen doesn't work after a while, have her try Yasmin if she wants. I have heard tons of positive feedback on this pill and I started it 2 months ago and after a little initial breakout, it is really starting to clear me up completely. Hope this helps.

Old 10-06-2003, 11:43 PM   #3
Bonnie1892

Bonnie1892 HB User
Your daughter needs to be using an effective moisturizer. I recommend MD Forte Replenish Hydrating Cream. It's somewhat expensive, but formulated specifically to work for those with sensitive skin or those using retinoids. It also has no comedogenic ingredients in it.

Also, she might want to incorporate MD Forte Cleanser II in the morning to get rid of the flakes. It has some glycolic acid in it, but is surprisingly VERY gentle and gets rid of the flakes without having to scrub the skin (which, of course, causes more irritation and possibly more breakouts). This cleanser has helped my skin soooo much. It was recommended to me by my dermatologist.

I am also on Tazorac 0.1% gel and incorporating these products has kept me flake free and hydrated. My skin looks almost perfect now. Also, I only use it every 2 or 3 nights and that cuts back on the irritation as well.....but my skin has cleared considerably. I was also prescribed Duac which is very similar to Clindamycin, and I only use that to spot treat active pimples in the morning. Applying it all over the face isn't a good idea for Tazorac users because our skin is already so sensitive and is much thinner than normal. Skin is easily irritated when applied all over and more pimples may result.

Bonnie

Closed Thread