It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• Best birth control- PLEASE HELP!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-25-2009, 10:43 AM   #1
    lleess
    (female)

lleess HB User
    Best birth control- PLEASE HELP!

I've been on 100mg Spiro and 90mg Solodyn for the past 2 years and my acne hasn't improved. Plus, I don't feel comfortable being on that much medication if it's not even making a real difference.

In the past, I've taken 2 bouts of Accutane, and both times it worked but the acne came back. A few years ago I took Yasmin birth control following the Accutane, which kept the acne away, but made me gain A TON of weight.

Now I'm trying to figure out what my next step should be. I'm already using a lot of topicals, and I want a pill that will help me. Should I consider doing Accutane again? I'm tempted. Or, should I try birth control again? I'm thinking in the last five years a new kind of birth control has come out that won't make me gain as much weight. I absolutely won't take Yasmin again, as it made me gain twenty pounds!

Any advice would be so appreciated! If you're on a great birth control or have heard about one- please let me know asap!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-25-2009, 03:53 PM   #2
    skimom
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

skimom HB User
    Re: Best birth control- PLEASE HELP!

Are you seeing a doctor? I am wondering why he would keep you on meds that are not working.

Old 05-25-2009, 07:16 PM   #3
    lleess
    (female)

lleess HB User

Yes I am seeing a dermatologist who prescribed those meds, but I've been traveling for two years and without being able to see her she said I should just be patient. But I'm home now and going to visit her in a few weeks, so I want to change my regimen. Any advice or suggestions would be much appreciated!

Old 05-25-2009, 09:43 PM   #4
    kilgore52
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

kilgore52 HB User

Maybe you should try 150 to 200 mgs of Spiro. It is obvious that you needed to up your dosage. I take Yaz and I was taking 200 mgs of Spiro and I was clear, so now i take 100 and still clear

Old 05-26-2009, 04:04 PM   #5
    skimom
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

skimom HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kilgore52 View Post
    Maybe you should try 150 to 200 mgs of Spiro. It is obvious that you needed to up your dosage. I take Yaz and I was taking 200 mgs of Spiro and I was clear, so now i take 100 and still clear

Do you have any side effects with taking that much Spiro? My daughter is afraid to up it. She is about 115 lbs. Do they prescribe it according to weight? She is already insanely thirsty on Yaz plus 50 mgs. Spiro. She gets light-headed sometimes too.

Old 05-27-2009, 11:15 AM   #6
    lleess
    (female)

lleess HB User

Yeah my doctor also told me that I couldn't take more than 100mg Spiro- she told me that that was a very high dosage as it is. The reason why I'm interested now in birth control is because when I took Accutane for a second time, I then took 50 mg Spiro to "maintain" the effects of Accutane. My skin became perfectly clear so I dropped down to 25 mg Spiro. When I lowered my Spiro dosage my acne came back worse than ever, and that's when I started 100mg Spiro and 90mg Solodyn, which is what I'm on now. With lots of scars and still emerging pimples.

Does your daughter like Yaz? Did it make her gain any weight?

My suspicion is that if I just stop the Solodyn and keep going with the Spiro, my acne will stay exactly the same as it is now. But I'm afraid of dropping or lowering the Spiro dosage because it was such a nightmare last time. Literally last time I went from 1 year of flawless skin to the most acne I had ever had- it was a really traumatic experience and I want to be smarter this time.

Old 05-27-2009, 05:27 PM   #7
    skimom
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

skimom HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by lleess View Post
    Yeah my doctor also told me that I couldn't take more than 100mg Spiro- she told me that that was a very high dosage as it is. The reason why I'm interested now in birth control is because when I took Accutane for a second time, I then took 50 mg Spiro to "maintain" the effects of Accutane. My skin became perfectly clear so I dropped down to 25 mg Spiro. When I lowered my Spiro dosage my acne came back worse than ever, and that's when I started 100mg Spiro and 90mg Solodyn, which is what I'm on now. With lots of scars and still emerging pimples.

Does your daughter like Yaz? Did it make her gain any weight?

My suspicion is that if I just stop the Solodyn and keep going with the Spiro, my acne will stay exactly the same as it is now. But I'm afraid of dropping or lowering the Spiro dosage because it was such a nightmare last time. Literally last time I went from 1 year of flawless skin to the most acne I had ever had- it was a really traumatic experience and I want to be smarter this time.

Yeah, I don't know who is more traumatized, my daughter or me It is hard for me to see her go from flawless to how it is now. She likes Yaz more than Yasmin. Yasmin was great for her skin but gave her mood swings. I think once she clears up again she wants to find a bc pill that maintains her skin without Spiro. She dislikes being so thirsty all the time. I think the Yaz messes with her moods some too but it hasn't kicked in yet. She is just finishing her first month. I think that Spiro is very slowly catching on with derms so it all depends on the doctor as to what they prescribe or what they think is a dangerous dosage. When I first wanted her to try Spiro instead of accutane, a nurse practitioner convinced me it was so dangerous and scared me to death so we didn't. Big mistake.

Old 06-09-2009, 04:01 PM   #8
    kilgore52
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

kilgore52 HB User

Yes, most doctors act like they don't know much about Spiro, but some are acting like they have given this to patients for years. I can't tell you how much that Spiro makes your skin flawless. Yaz with only 25mgs of dsrp (spiro) is not enough to clear skin. It is good for birth control and mild acne and regulaing your period that Spiro can sometimes mess up., but Spiro 100 and above will do the trick. 100mgs does not work for me . I don't get cysts with 100, but I will get pimples. 200mgs keeps me so clear. I have no trouble with it. Lots of water and some salt intake help the hydration. Bloodwork every 4 months and healthy eating work too. My hair is so thick and I have no water bloat that I always had before. It has helped my weight. I weigh 125 and am 5'8. I used to weigh 135 and would look like I weighed 145. I would eat and bloat up. The Spiro helps the weight gain. It is a testerone blocker and that is the male hormone that we don't need too much of. It is the excess that causes acne and facial hair. Women with pcos take this.All of us have some degree of it and the ones with too much can take the Spiro and block the excess testerone. I highly recommend it. Find a good doctor who is familiar with it for acne

Last edited by kilgore52; 06-09-2009 at 04:06 PM.

Old 06-09-2009, 04:07 PM   #9
    kilgore52
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

kilgore52 HB User

Sorry I double clicked my reply

Last edited by kilgore52; 06-09-2009 at 04:09 PM.

Old 06-27-2009, 05:16 PM   #10
    MyHappy
    Inactive
    (male)

MyHappy HB User

Best birth control for skin would be anything that contains lots of progesterone.

Old 06-29-2009, 11:31 AM   #11
    skimom
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

skimom HB User

I thought pills like that were not good for acne.

Last edited by skimom; 06-29-2009 at 11:34 AM.

Closed Thread