It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• Your ULTIMATE Acne SOLUTION

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-21-2003, 07:00 AM   #46
    noname

noname HB User
    my point was that if you want to have clear face apparently you need to forsake of everything, and i think that sucks. it has nothing to do with the fact that i will or will not quit having sex. speaking of understanding things, i'm not sure that i'm the one who don't understand.

[This message has been edited by noname (edited 09-21-2003).]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-21-2003, 08:45 AM   #47
    Tummy

Tummy HB User
    My skin gets worse every Fall and this year is no different, however its much better than in years past. I have been using Klaron and QH for about 6months and that is all I have used. For about 5months I was clear but 1-2 weeks a month, but right now, I dont have but a few days where I'm absolutely clear so I have decided to use the ProActiv I ordered a year ago (that is still good) at night and Klaron in the morning. I'll see if ProActiv works this time around since my acne is very mild.

Old 09-21-2003, 11:17 AM   #48
    poita81

poita81 HB User
    Hi Big Wreck
    I am in EXACTLY the same boat.
    I have tried and tested my problem. its sex. period, and it really pisses me off when people come on here and tell you that you don't know your own problem. I'm 20 and have had acne for about 4-5 years. I have very few pimples when i don't have sex but i have a girlfriend again, and i am having sex once a day i guess (sorry to get into details but its relevent), and it is causing me an immense amount of personal grief because we have both noticed it become worse. I am on minocycline, again...and i am currently sitting on twice the recommended dose so i can try to control it but this is failing. I will go out and buy some of this saw palmetto stuff i guess and perhaps talk to my doc about topical spiro which sounds very appealing...I live in Australia so i don't know if its available...Anyway, have you had any more luck finding solutions?

Old 09-21-2003, 11:19 AM   #49
    SweetJade1
    Senior Veteran

SweetJade1 HB User
    Ali,
    Hey sorry about that. To be more specific you are looking for Free Fatty Acid Sterols. I didn't want to mention that part because I was afraid that might confuse people (free fatty acids in blood are problematic, etc).

Some companies sell 20%, others 80% - 90% and 85%-95% Free Fatty Acid Sterol content in their Saw Palmetto. To get the most effect from yours you want the highest amount since this is the active ingredient. Now there are prostate formulas that will use less than this, but I'm guessing it's because they combine SEVERAL natural anti-androgens together and you wouldn't want to overdue it, if you're male ;-)

Actually Beta sitosterol is THE ingredient found in Saw Palmetto, Nettle and some other herbs. I personally have only ever used saw palmetto, but you are welcome to test them all out. Of course if you can, make sure you get Capsules, Gelcaps, or Tinctures of the supplements you take for the best bioavailability.

Best of luck

Old 09-21-2003, 11:27 AM   #50
    SweetJade1
    Senior Veteran

SweetJade1 HB User
    Tummy,
    Hey that is ME right there! Infact, most acne sufferers seem to breakout worse during the Fall/Winter season. According to the man that created RetinA, that's because our testosterone levels rise during these months. So of course, when I discovered that my diet STOPPED this breakout, I KNEW I had a winner! NOTHING else I used did that for me, but a change in diet. So definatly good luck with proactive and make sure you don't bleach anything ;-)

Noname,
    Yup, it does suck, but none of us have to avoid "everything" for the sake of clear skin. You can balance it out with supplements or prescriptions, topicals etc. Although, usually you wouldn't NEED to avoid all possible culprits, only the FEW in a world full of VARIETY would you have to eliminate, IF and a BIG IF, it caused you problems.

Yes, I had to give up some of my favorite convenient foods (cereal and sandwiches and canned pasta) and some of my favorite fruits (cherries and bananas), but you know what? It was WORTH it and if I knew back then, when I first started looking for alternatives (age 12), I would have done this IMMEDIATELY! It's made that MUCH of a difference in my life and I'm soooo grateful that finally found it =)

Take care

Old 09-21-2003, 12:10 PM   #51
    SweetJade1
    Senior Veteran

SweetJade1 HB User
    Joeh,
    He he, oh the faith you have in me...thank you. Unfortunately I don't know what direction to go. In a year I'll have my Biomedical Sciences degree with a minor in Psychology and I want to be able to incorporate them both. My former endocrinologist (hit 23 and lost that free military healthcare) was pushing for me to go into Medical School. Others feel that I should be a Dermatologist, but personally I would LOVE to be a Naturopathic Doctor, except I don't want the lawsuits! That's why I figured I may just go into being a Nutritionist or a Dietician because I would have lot of power there, he he (wicked laugh) ;-)

Yet, I can see the advantages in being in a variety of fields. I want to be where I can be respected (naturopaths aren't yet), make a good living, and HELP as many people as possible. As a dermatologist, I definately would be one of the unique few, but internal mechanisms fascinate me much more. As a doctor I would have the most pull, but people are starting to severly distrust them and I've NEVER wanted to be one. Unfortunately, I'm afraid to base my career on naturopathic medicine, when the government is secretly trying to undermine it. I hate to think that they could be that dense or evil, so I certainly hope that alternative medicine will become a much stronger and creditable field for us all.

Yet, whatever I do I hope it allow me to offer a broad range of solutions. Maybe I'll start with being a Nutritionist, get a degree as a naturpathic practioner so that I can do that and who knows what else. I promise that I'll be as open-minded as i am now, and willing to work with those that are truly seeking answers. Therefore, YES if I was a doctor I would put males on a small dose of spiro (like 50mg) and see how that works for them. If that's not enough to increase it over a period of weeks (that what my doctor did), until you've hit the jackpot (not going beyond 200mg). The trick, with anything really is to use the LEAST amount of something that is EFFECTIVE for you.

So I guess that would be my suggestion for anyone that wanted to take spiro (under the table) or to use Saw Palmetto and other herbal anti-androgens. You don't want to go overboard, so if you notice that you aren't feeling "normal" then just lower the dose again. It won't hurt you permanantly, but any decrease in testosterone (unless you make to much) will also lower your sperm count. Although, as to how significantly it lowers it, I don't know.

So Poita and Big Wreck, if you have mainly facial acne, you may want to test out topical Spironlactone (95% success) or Saw Palmetto formulas. Just to be completely legal, if that doesn't work, then you both should try Saw Palmetto first. After that, you can go for Spironolactone BUT it has side effects beyond the whole "male" thing and I woudln't want you to take this without having your blood monitored.

You can also take the Spiro capsules and make your own 2% or even 5% (usually in the cream) solution of this to treat your face, etc. However, if you are all adults then do as you please. I'm sure that you can find a doctor that will give you the neccessary tests to ensure that your body is functioning properly and of course I'm sure you would love to see your androgen count drop some ;-)

Oh yeah, and Joeh, are you monitoring your blood levels? Did you find that you had to play around with your dosage before you found something that felt "right"?

Take care

Old 09-21-2003, 12:29 PM   #52
    SweetJade1
    Senior Veteran

SweetJade1 HB User
    I just wanted to add that Emu Oil is another DHT inhibitor. When used topically with Manuka Oil (stronger than tea tree oil, but more gentle) it seems to reduce some peoples acne by 60% overnight (based on fellow acne sufferers testimonies that I trust).

Here's the recipe for 2% Topical Spiro

12 - 100mg Spironlactone tablets

60ml of carrier solution (ethyl alcohol, emu oil, jojoba oil, OR etc)

Hmm... internally that would be a 6 - 12 day supply or a 1 - 3 month supply topically.

Personally I would use my favorite Toner or natural solution (like the Vinegar-asprin or Emu-Manuka) and add in the spiro. Then apply all over occasionally and spot treat becaue I'm guessing it will be pretty powerful ;-)

Have fun and be safe

Old 09-21-2003, 07:10 PM   #53
    noname

noname HB User
    cherries and bananas are my favorite too, but i didn't know that i should stop eating it. anyway thanks. you sound nice.

Old 09-21-2003, 07:50 PM   #54
    joeh
    Senior Veteran

joeh HB User
    sweet jade 1 u really shold be a derm u really give great advise.i think i would be ur first patient!!heres whats some derms do wrong.they tell patients like '' oh after one course of accutane ur skin will be clear.maybe u will have a pimple or 2 once in a while but thats it''stuff like that is bullcrap.yes accutane has worked great on many people but for some it hasnt and they give their patiences too high expectations.i have had pretty good derms that told me the truth with not a lot of crap.i wanted to print out ur long post on my printer but im out of ink.im no expert but androgens definetly are a major factor in acne.ur a regular genius.....i hope i spelled genius right i think some drug company should put u on their research team.

[This message has been edited by joeh (edited 09-21-2003).]

Old 09-21-2003, 08:25 PM   #55
    joeh
    Senior Veteran

joeh HB User
    i get a smack test every 3 months,sweet jade.and my doc has had ts in san francisco even though i live in a small pa town.she knows a lot about anti-androgens.my derm in harrisburg,pa has prescribed it to females.i look at it this way i lost out on 28 of my best years of my life because of acne problems.i have social phobia because of this.being sterol and going over to the girl side when i was in my teens would have been an improvement over what my life is today.i mean when u go to work and girls r telling me the wished they had my body u know something went wrong with my body.at least my androgens would have been suppressed because i would have been on spiro and had my male sex organ rearranged in to a female one.by the way they dont cut it off they reshape it along with ur testicals to make a vagina.if they need more skin then they do a skin graft.yes this is extreme but when i think back at the nightmare that acne has caused me over the years least i might not have spent most my life alone.im still a straight guy and really love girls.but [email protected] when u dont have any confidence or self-esteem and ur a guy ur probably gonna spend ur whole life alone.at least i could have been a lesbian and had some social life.at least over the past year i had relief from it.i mean when ur whole side of ur face swells up because of a cysts and u have to go to work and face people too i swear i would have been a ts girl.at least my androgens wouldnt have been making havoc on my skin.some people can deal with severe acne but some of us cant.well at least i didnt kill myself even though i tried a couple of times.i still might stay a guy if i ever get my confidence back and find a good girl.

Old 09-21-2003, 10:20 PM   #56
    Big_Wreck

Big_Wreck HB User
    Sorry no name the way you worded that post, i did misunderstand, i thought you meant it in a humourous way, i appoligize. Well that last post by Joeh tells me taking Spiro is not a good idea for a guy. i think i will try the topical though if i feel necessary. i am trying B5 now as my accutane treatment is done. So hopefully that will give me good results.

R

Old 09-21-2003, 11:42 PM   #57
    SweetJade1
    Senior Veteran

SweetJade1 HB User
    Lightbulb

Joeh,
    Is spiro effecting you that much??? I know that at levels up to 400mg males should expect it, but at 100mg? Have you tried taking 50 - 75mg/day instead? Or how much was your diet helping you before the switch? Perhaps you can mix the two or take some other supplement with it, so that you are able to feel more up to things.

In the ideal world where everybody is normal, having "normal" levels wouldn't cause men problems. Therefore, somewhere in there is the right balance for you.

Oh wait...if that's a problem then just take another herb that is used specifically for that purpose. I remember I was taking some homeopathic drug for acne once and I was more...than usual and when I looked up the ingredients sure enough that was the job of one them. I was on spiro at the time and it didn't cause me to breakout (it was an acne treatment) so it is possible. You may want to test that out and see if you can "have your cake and eat it too" afterall.

best of luck ;-)

Old 09-22-2003, 07:45 AM   #58
    noname

noname HB User
    it's ok. no hard feelings. take care

Old 09-22-2003, 08:09 AM   #59
    NYKID
    Veteran

NYKID HB User
    Hey SweetJade1 I appreciate and im sure others on the board do too, all the help and time you have put into in helping people here.

First off if you had bad skin and are no clear maybe you should go become a derm, my current derm got in for the very reason and i feel comfortable with him and his opioions on what i need to do to get healthy skin. He put me on nicomide, free samples of doxy and plaxion facial cleaner. I haev seen improvement over the last month since i seen him and in a way its mad me moe anxious to clear my face up cause i feel i am very close to haveing clear skin for the first time since i was 12.

I dont break out nearly as much as i use to but i still do a little bit, i think since my doxy ran out i have been more prone to breakouts.

Heres my problem and maybe you can help:
    I have senistive skin, i touch my face too much and i will break out with a pimple, i cant sleep with my face o nthe pillow, i cant put hair gel in my hair i put aloe vera, i had scratchign my face cause i think it will make me break out also. Is there any way i can make my face less sensitive??

Also
    I have dark spots that hae been on my face for so long i cant get rid of them regernist backfired on me and i broke out with some red pimples on top of those dark spots. I get a pimple and it turns into a dark spot and stays there for months. I cant take it i want to get rid of them.

Are dark spots the same as blemishs?
    What surgery would you recommend me taking if i wanted to get rid of the dark spots and some of the scars it has left behind?
    What vitamins helps to fade awa the dark spots.
    I noticed when i get bruises or black and blues or even cuts it takes a while to heal so i know im missing an important vitami nthat helps me torecover quicker.

What products would you recommend for my problems?

Thanks so much i appreciate it.

Old 09-22-2003, 10:34 PM   #60
    joeh
    Senior Veteran

joeh HB User
    no im doing great on spiro.im just saying if i had a choice of changing sex and supressing my androgens and had a clear face it would have been better than this constant battle with acne.well i have been clear for a year.still dont know if im sterol or not but i think i thought of sex like once in the last year.i dont think im going to have a sex change.its too late in my life now but u know if u could be like lara croft it might be cool.really i can stay a guy if my skin was clear and i wasnt alone because i have social phobia because of acne.

Closed Thread