It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• 2 thumbs down for accutane

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-16-2003, 06:37 AM   #1
    denny_gee
    (male)

denny_gee HB User
    Post 2 thumbs down for accutane

I finsihed my accutance course back in March of 2003. My skin was great, flawless... could never be happier.

UNTIL NOW... the past 2 weeks have been torture... slowly little zits and normal size zits started forming all around the right cheek and a few on the left! *** is this??????

I've read previous peoples posts how Accutane helped them initially, but then acne came back, but I thought they where just unlucky... but look now.... it has happened to me too!

Accutane isn't a cure... its just temporary!!

SO can anyone tell me what i can do after accutane? Anyone in my position in here? what did you guys do? Where you successful?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-16-2003, 10:10 AM   #2
    coloradogirl1
    Veteran

coloradogirl1 HB User
    I hate to tell you this, but I've been struggling over the past year (after 1 glorious year off of accutane). It's getting worse and I can't stop it. Everything the derm seems to give me either makes it worse or is just temporary. I'm ready to give up and just live with it.

Old 10-16-2003, 12:36 PM   #3
    denny_gee
    (male)

denny_gee HB User
    coloradogirl how old are you?

acne can have alot to do with hormones

Old 10-16-2003, 01:07 PM   #4
    animungus

animungus HB User
    I've had four courses of Roaccutane and each time it cleared my skin beautifully and then gradually the acne came back more severely than in the first place. I'm now back on the antibiotics and Dianette which is currently keeping it under control.

Old 10-16-2003, 01:23 PM   #5
    babii piink

babii piink HB User
    dont say accutane isnt a cure, because everyones body reacts differently to medications. for some it will work and others it wont. but when you say it isnt a cure, then for people like myself will think there is absolutly no hope. so dont bring down our moral

Old 10-16-2003, 01:24 PM   #6
    babii piink

babii piink HB User
    dont say accutane isnt a cure, because everyones body reacts differently to medications. for some it will work and others it wont. but when you say it isnt a cure, then for people like myself will think there is absolutly no hope. so dont bring down our moral

Old 10-16-2003, 06:39 PM   #7
    weez
    (female)

weez HB User
    My doc specializes in Accutane and I hate to tell you this but my doc says it's not a cure. It's temporary in most people - at least 2/3 needs to repeat the treatment at some point. It is very effective for getting clear skin for about a year for most people. According to my doc these repeat treatments are usually "mini-treatments" and are not as long and strong as the first time. Also the longer you have had acne the more likely you are to be in the 2/3 group that needs repeat treatments. Unfortunately that's me since I'm 38 and have been dealing with this for a long time. I'm just finishing up my first Accutane treament and I have been told that I'll probably have to do it again.

weez

[This message has been edited by weez (edited 10-16-2003).]

Old 10-17-2003, 09:38 AM   #8
    backtomyoldself
    Veteran

backtomyoldself HB User
    I am one of the 2/3s who has to repeat Accutane treatment. And I agree that Accutane is not a cure for acne, not for everybody. My acne came to a stop for at least a year and it slowly came back until it came full blown (worst than before) this year. I have developed many, many cystic acne and my face has lots of indented scars from it. I am on my 4th month of Accutane and I am still breaking out, not to mention the side effects that I deal with (increased cholesterol and triglycerides, etc.). I am now eating a fat-free diet because of this. It is funny because I am not even overweight or a smoker. I am so starve with the diet I have right now. My decision is to stay on Accutane for the rest of the month and if things do not get any more better, I will opt to stop it. Anyway, I just thought I'd share.

Old 10-17-2003, 09:44 AM   #9
    FargoUT
    (male)

FargoUT HB User
    My acne came back the week after I stopped taking Accutane. However, Paula's Choice products, which I have been using for the past few months, have kept my skin as clear as I was when I was on Accutane. There are still the occasional breakouts, but I can't expect perfect skin.

I no longer have cystic acne, thanks to Accutane, but it is not a cure. Many people, after Accutane, find that products that did nothing to help them begin working as they should. But for me, it's Paula's Choice all the way. It took me years to discover my recent skin care regimen, but it is working like nothing else has.

Maybe try some of the products you have tried in the past. Use Neutrogena's Face Wash, or even St. Ives cleanser. Just trial and error.

Old 10-17-2003, 10:09 AM   #10
    denny_gee
    (male)

denny_gee HB User
    babii pink...

listen carefully...

ACCUTANE IS NOT A CURE!!!

I REPEAT (in-case your hard of hearing) ACCUTANE IS NOT A CURE!!!

now dun bother replying... ur annoying!

cheers!

Old 10-17-2003, 10:48 AM   #11
    joeh
    Senior Veteran

joeh HB User
    why dont u guys listen to me.i know i have had everything in the past.acne is all hormonal.most guys body will develope and their acne will disappear.accutane will buy time til ur skin clears.if u want to go to desparate measures u got to fight male hormone with female hormones and an anti-androgen.its been over a year now and i went from a greasy oily mess with cysts to no zits at all.most guys like about 99% dont have to go to these extremes but i said if i have to change sex to shut down my androgen production i will.u know its not normal if ur 42 and ur skin still breaks out since ur were 14.but it works like no other med ever did.i had accutane the first day it came out years ago.acne is all male hormones and ur body is producing to much.

[This message has been edited by joeh (edited 10-17-2003).]

Old 10-17-2003, 11:00 AM   #12
    backtomyoldself
    Veteran

backtomyoldself HB User
    FYI- supplemental hormone therapy carries risks and side effects as well. Make sure you check with your doctor as some medical conditions do not permit or create adverse effects while taking hormone therapy. Do your research before getting into anything in your system.

Old 10-17-2003, 04:24 PM   #13
    cured for now

cured for now HB User
    Exclamation

You people are throwing around numbers like crazy yet you are COMPLETELY WRONG. It is NOT 2/3's of Accutane users need a repeat treatment.

I don't know how many times I'll have to repeat this but, 70-75% OF ACCUTANE USERS DO NOT NEED ANOTHER COURSE, EVER. I'm 100% sure about this statistic. I am one of them. Accutane has saved my life - it was the best decision I have ever made. I'm only here for the moderate scarring I have.

I'm sorry this drug didn't work for you guys but you ARE in the minority. Cured people wouldn't be visiting an acne forum, you know what I mean? Unless for scarring or whatever.

Old 10-17-2003, 10:59 PM   #14
    joeh
    Senior Veteran

joeh HB User
    yes i did my research premerin is a nasty estrogen with a lot of side effects like blood cloting and increase of heart attacks and could blow out ur liver.i dont smoke or drink or i dont take illegal drugs.i get a smack test every 3 months.yes it has an increased risk of getting cancer.but 2.5 mgs premerin and 100 mgs of spirolation is pretty low for a guy.or whatever i am.this is like last last resorts.and yes i see all the articles about how bad hrt is for u.my last blood test came back normal and even if i die tomorrow it was worth having a year of relief of my acne.accutane has risks too and so does cigerette smokers.i would have takin it years ago if i knew it would have cleared my skin.there are safer estrogens than prem out there but this works so good i dont want to mess with anything.

Old 10-17-2003, 11:04 PM   #15
    joeh
    Senior Veteran

joeh HB User
    there is no cure for acne and how long have u been in remission,may i ask?

[This message has been edited by joeh (edited 10-18-2003).]

Closed Thread