It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• Combo of Doxycycline, Duac, Tretinoin - starting today

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-11-2010, 10:32 AM   #1
    snogal
    (female)

snogal HB User
    Combo of Doxycycline, Duac, Tretinoin - starting today

I'm a 31 year old female and for the past 8 months or so, I've been battling really bad acne....way worse than when I was a teenager. Can't figure out what may be causing it. I've tried just about every over the counter product (from cheap to very expensive) and a few months ago, I tried Benzamycin (given to me by my primary care doc). Nothing worked. The Benzamycin made my skin way too dry and it didn't do anything for the acne.

So, today I saw a dermatologist for the first time. She put me on 3 meds. Doxycycline (oral), Duac cream, and Tretinoin Gel (Generic retin-A). So far, I've only taken the oral pill. I've experienced some mild nausea (a common side effect from what I've read). I'll start with the Tretinoin Gel tonight, and then the Duac cream in the mornings. She recommended Cetaphil cleanser and moisturizer.

Does anyone out there have any experience with these meds or this particular combo?

Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-22-2010, 07:55 AM   #2
    snogal
    (female)

snogal HB User
    Re: Combo of Doxycycline, Duac, Tretinoin - starting today

It's been 12 days on the combo of Doxycycline, Duac, and Tretinoin - and no relief so far. My skin is very dry and sometimes flaky, but the acne keeps on coming. The acne that was there 12 days ago is still there today.

I wasn't expecting a clear face in 12 days, but I was at least expecting some sign that this stuff might be working. I'm so frustrated. I know I need to give it more time, but my next derm appt isn't until the 2nd week in March.

Old 03-03-2010, 06:17 AM   #3
    snogal
    (female)

snogal HB User

Just wanted to post an update on my experience with this trio of acne meds.

It took some time, it's been almost 2 months and I'm finally seeing results! My face looks soooo much better now than it did just a month ago. I'd say it took a good month to start seeing any results. I don't want to jinx myself, but my skin is looking better now than it has in almost a year. I went from having anywhere from 5-8 "active" zits at a time, to having only 1 now, and it's healing so much faster than it normally would have - it's nothing compared to what I lived with for the past year. I have a few scars from old breakouts, but most of the old scarring is fading nicely too.

My next derm appointment is on March 15, so I'm anxious to see what the doc's thoughts are on my progress.

Old 03-25-2010, 12:37 PM   #4
    snogal
    (female)

snogal HB User

I've been on this combo of meds since January 11 of this year. My skin is finally clear and looking great. Still have a few blotches/scars from old blemishes, but they are fading slowly - nothing a little concealer won't hide. I had a follow up with the derm last week and I'm a little scared because she's only keeping me on the Doxycycline (oral antibiotic) for another 2 months (through the end of May) and then she wants me to go off and see how I do with just the 2 topicals - Duac and Tretinoin. She said I should be fine...but I guess only time will tell.

Old 04-11-2010, 11:50 PM   #5
    WhenItRains
    Veteran
    (female)

WhenItRains HB UserWhenItRains HB UserWhenItRains HB UserWhenItRains HB UserWhenItRains HB UserWhenItRains HB UserWhenItRains HB User

Sounds like you have a good dermatologist. She is right,you should be fine once you come off the Doxy.A study showed that people who used topicals and an oral antibiotic were still seeing clear skin a year after quitting the oral antibiotic while still using the topicals.

Closed Thread