It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• Finally beautiful skin without oral medication

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-21-2003, 08:53 PM   #31
    patienceandreward

patienceandreward HB User
    Dear belle isle,

I forgot to ask you: Did you start accutane? If not, which products are you using that you find working well for you?

Best Wishes.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-22-2003, 04:45 AM   #32
    belle isle

belle isle HB User
    Smile

I never started accutane because there are too many high-risk unknowns involved. You're right about the quick-fix appeal of this drug. I can see how it would appeal to the desire to quick-fix every flaw that is prevalent in our society.
    By the way, my sister is currently on accutane, and even though she claims to have perfect flawless skin, she recently reported of muscle aches, which she says has nothing to do with accutane.
    As for the products, I am using Cetaphil cleanser, Paula's 1% BHA lotion, Blemish fighting lotion, and Roche's Active C (which has such a nice pleasant scent, i might add). I was wondering - is there a good toner that you recommend?

Old 08-22-2003, 05:19 AM   #33
    stasia12
    Veteran

stasia12 HB User
    Question

I didnt really like the one percent bha lotion but the two percent solution works well for me. You are having sucess with Paula's bp?cuz ive been hearing bad things about it on this board. I m quite impressed with your roster of drugs-I didnt know people were allowed to take so many courses of accutane. I see that you say you tried smoothbeam-how long did results last with that? Also have you ever tried paulas alpha hydroxy product?

Old 08-22-2003, 10:11 AM   #34
    Bonnie1892

Bonnie1892 HB User
    Hi everyone,

I'm new, but just wanted to say that the PC Bha might not work for some people's acne. I have moderate acne and tried the 1% form on my skin. Well, it gave me a a ton of cysts...which really sucked because I rarely get cysts. They took several weeks to go away and were just painful. Too painful to continue use of the product. There is a website called makeupalley.com and I know some of the people on their message boards had the same results. There is definitely a love/hate relationship with this product over there. So, just wanted to tell some of you to be careful. I find much better results spot treating with my prescription Duac.

Good luck.

Old 08-22-2003, 02:24 PM   #35
    patienceandreward

Dear belle isle,

Based on what I know, one usually doesn't require a toner unless the skin is not cleansed well. For example, if you wear a lot of make-up that is difficult to wash off, toner would be very great to clean off traces of make-up. In my case, I don't wear any make-up. However, since I don't like to spend much time taking hot shower (not good for the skin), I usually use the toner once a day, after my short shower. The toner I use is one recommended by Paula. It's called Biosource softening lotion, by Biotherm. Although the bottle says it's for dry skin, Paula says that it can be used for 'any' type of skin. I've been using it for half a year and really like it.

I'm so glad that you didn't take Accutane Hope your sister's muscle ache is temporary. Pls. ask her to let her doctor know about the ache.

Best wishes to you.

Old 08-22-2003, 02:38 PM   #36
    patienceandreward

Dear stasia12,

I only had one treatment of smoothbeam. I stopped because my skin was looking very good from the products that I was using. I didn't have any side effects from smoothbeam. However, I didn't see any difference after the treatment (as expected since I only had one treatment).

I have tried Paula's AHA about a year ago. I used it for about a month and didn't like it(I can't remember why).

The BP was extremely effective for me in the beginning (first 3 months). After that, my skin became more sensitive. It was still effective after 3 months, but I had to use it very very sparingly. I only used it on 'opened' whiteheads. The last thing you want to do to your skin is to irritate it.

Isn't it scary that I've taken so many courses of accutane? I just pray to God that I will not have side effects from it in the future.

Best wishes.

Old 08-22-2003, 02:44 PM   #37
    patienceandreward

Dear Bonnie1892,

Thanks for your info. I completely agree with you; I don't think there is one product out there that is suitable for everyone, since every person's skin reacts to products differently. However, I do feel that 'the way' a person uses a product may determine whether or not that person will benefit from it (i.e. starting a product slowly so that the skin can adapt to it).

How long did you use PC's BHA until you developed cysts? After you developed cysts, for how long did you continue using the BHA?

[This message has been edited by patienceandreward (edited 08-22-2003).]

Old 08-22-2003, 05:45 PM   #38
    MrsBungle

MrsBungle HB User
    Patienceandreward,

Your story has given me hope! I'd love to try the Roche's Active C that you are raving about. My main problem is dryness...and I know if I can cure my dryness, the breakouts will stop. As you said, every moisturizer I try breaks me out (even if it says that it won't clog pores). Where can I get Roche's Active C?! I can't wait to try it for myself!!! Thanks!!

Old 08-22-2003, 08:16 PM   #39
    patienceandreward

Dear MrsBungle,

I'm very happy to hear that my experience has given you hope, for being optimistic and hopeful is very important in fighting this battle w/acne.

I got the Roche moisturizer from a dermatologist's office while I was visiting Vancouver about 2 months ago. Since I can't post URLs here, you can find it immediately if you search on-line by typing 'roche active c light'. Make sure you get the 'light' version because it is more suitable for acne prone skin.

I really hope that Roche Active C will relieve your dryness. Pls. keep me updated. Best wishes to you.

Old 08-22-2003, 08:21 PM   #40
    patienceandreward

Dear MrsBungle,

I forgot to mention one important thing. When you get Roche Active C, pls. do what I do with all products that I try for the first time-spot test. For me, I test on a small spot on my forehead. I do this for about 1 week before I apply it to the rest of my face. Also, use it very sparingly.

Old 08-22-2003, 10:51 PM   #41
    kweli

kweli HB User
    anyone know the ingredients so I can see if there are any stuff in it that is irritating or non com..thanks but it sounds like a great product

Old 08-23-2003, 07:53 PM   #42
    patienceandreward

Dear kweli,

Which product are you referring to? I'd be glad to let you know the ingredients if I know which product you're inquiring about.

Old 08-23-2003, 08:46 PM   #43
    nasiba

nasiba HB User
    Hi, I've been lurking here a few days. I just wanted everyone to know that the company that makes Active C (Roche-Posay) is no longer allowing people to buy their products online without a patient number (you have to visit one of their clinics first).

Old 08-24-2003, 02:26 PM   #44
    patienceandreward

Fortunately, there are still many other on-line merchants that sell Roche Active C.

[This message has been edited by patienceandreward (edited 08-24-2003).]

Old 08-24-2003, 05:23 PM   #45
    nasiba

nasiba HB User
    patience, I've searched all over the web and every place that carried it has a message saying that their policy has changed and you need a patient number... *shrug* It's pretty pricey though, I wouldn't be trying it anytime soon even if I could. I got a sample of PC's Skin Balancing Moisture Gel, it's pretty good.

Closed Thread