It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• Finally beautiful skin without oral medication

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-24-2003, 07:45 PM   #46
    patienceandreward

patienceandreward HB User
    Dear nasiba,

How strange. I just ordered one w/out a patient number.

Another way you can get this (via doctor's office):

[<<<search instructions removed.>>>]

You'll then be able to find doctors in your area that carry it.

Pls. let me know if anyone has problem getting this product.

Best wishes to everyone

Last edited by moderator2; 11-04-2003 at 07:34 PM. Reason: Search instructions are considered to be free advertising, not allowed.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-25-2003, 07:13 AM   #47
    stasia12
    Veteran

stasia12 HB User
    Question

patience-do u think it was the c that helped your face or use of the alpha hydroxy product?
    also-just wondering im still in the beginning stages of using paula's bha-and while it hasnt caused any major breakouts my skin has been VERY oily (its also been hot and humid here too though-weather just changed yesterday)-did you have this problem with oiliness or did you just have to wait for the whiteheads to subside&gt;

Old 08-25-2003, 02:27 PM   #48
    patienceandreward

Dear stasia12,

In terms of acne, I think it was the BHA that helped me the most (actually, I'm 99% sure). Based on the fact that BHA is better at cutting through the oil inside the pore(vs. AHA, which sloughs off dead cells on the surface of the skin), I used BHA consistently (2X/day). However, I didn't do this w/AHA. Sometimes, when I felt that my skin was over-irritated, which was once a week, I would skip AHA. So, when I skipped AHA, I would leave BHA on rather than washing it off. I only skipped BHA twice in the last 5 months, which was after I had the Smoothbeam treatment.

Regarding the oiliness, I actually like it because I don't like the feeling of dryness. The oiliness doesn't cause breakout. Having said that, I would use the word 'glow' rather than 'oily' because everyone compliments my skin because it has a really healthy glow (and acne free). When you still have acne, you may not appreciate this 'glow'. But when your face is completely clear, you'll love the oiliness(glow).
    http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/wow.gif

Best wishes for you.

[This message has been edited by patienceandreward (edited 08-25-2003).]

[This message has been edited by patienceandreward (edited 08-25-2003).]

Old 08-25-2003, 04:05 PM   #49
    Hoxy

Hoxy HB User
    Hi patienceandreward, I have 2 questions regarding your regimen.

1. In the previous post, you said that you use BHA 2 times a day. But in your original post you said you only use BHA in the am and in the pm you use AHA.

2. From your previous post "when I skipped AHA, I would leave BHA on rather than washing it off". Do you wash the BHA off? I was under the impression that you leave it on all day.

Thanks for your help. I am trying to follow what you are doing so I'd like to do it correctly!

Old 08-25-2003, 05:29 PM   #50
    MrsBungle

MrsBungle HB User
    Dear Patienceandreward,

First of all...thanks for all of your information you are sharing with us. You're great! My question is: How often and how much of the Active C did you use per day? I just ordered some online and don't want to over-do it. My main problem is dryness and old red marks so I'm hoping this moisturizer will help me out.

Everyone else: if you do a search for Active C, just keep going to the different sites and eventually you will come upon one that will let you order without having been seen by a Dr. (I did!) Good luck!

Old 08-25-2003, 07:25 PM   #51
    patienceandreward

Dear Hoxy,

This is what I normally do in regards to AHA/BHA:
    a.m.: BHA leave it on
    p.m.: 1) BHA, wash off after ~15min.
    2) Wait ~10min., then AHA(leave it on)

If my skin is irritated & needs a break(~once a week, but can be more or less depending on how my skin is doing), this is what I do:
    a.m.: BHA leave it on
    p.m.: BHA leave it on (no AHA)

In summary, I don't skip BHA. For me, BHA is for preventing acne. AHA is more for discoloration from previous acne.

I hope this clarifies your understanding. If not, pls. let me know.

Best wishes to you.

Old 08-25-2003, 07:36 PM   #52
    patienceandreward

Dear Hoxy again,

I see why you were confused after reading my previous posts; It is my fault. This is what happened:

My first post: when I wrote this, I didn't use BHA(& rinse off) at night during the first 3 months.

For the last 2 months, however, I changed it from not using BHA to using it but washing it off after 15min.
    I personally like this method much better & plan to stick to it.

Sorry for the confusion.

Old 08-25-2003, 07:41 PM   #53
    patienceandreward

Dear Hoxy,

I'd like to emphasize that the important thing is NOT to have BHA & AHA ON your face at the same time. For example, if you'd like to use BHA, don't use AHA unless you wash off BHA first.

Old 08-25-2003, 07:53 PM   #54
    patienceandreward

Dear MrsBungle,

You're so welcome & thank you for the compliment.

I use very little (maybe a dime size) of Active C, just enough to relief dryness (pls. don't over use it).

During the first month, I used it mainly 2x/day because my skin was very dry. After that, I used it just a.m., since my skin was not dry anymore. However, if you find that Active C works really well on your skin (i.e. no irritation at all), I would recommend using it 2X/day. The reason why I don't use it p.m. anymore is because I'm testing Tazorac in the p.m.

I'm planning to post my result from using Tazorac after I use it for a total of 1 month, at the least.

I really hope Active C will help relieve your dryness. Best wishes to you.

Old 08-25-2003, 07:59 PM   #55
    patienceandreward

Dear MrsBungle,

In my last post to you, when I said, "pls. don't over use it", I hope you'll try really hard not to over use it EVEN if your skin reacts perfectly to Active C. This is true w/ALL products that you use: don't put more than you need because it may make an otherwise suitable product not suitable. This is based on my experience.

Old 08-26-2003, 05:59 AM   #56
    patienceandreward

Talking

Update & thoughts to share:

Skin still flawless.

For the last 10+ years, I had always believed that stress caused my acne. Although I still believe that feeling stressed negatively affects a person's skin(& health), I have proven to myself that it has not caused me acne using the products that I've been using. For the last few weeks, I've been so stressed because I had to work 12 hrs/day & study part-time (4 hrs/day). However, I've only had 2 whiteheads during those time, and those whiteheads were gone in less than 24 hours.

In summary, unlike in the past, I no longer fear that I will get acne on those days that I'm stressed. I'm very optimistic & confident about my future, and my wish is for those suffering from acne to have those invaluable feelings.

[This message has been edited by patienceandreward (edited 08-26-2003).]

[This message has been edited by patienceandreward (edited 08-26-2003).]

Old 08-26-2003, 06:29 AM   #57
    patienceandreward

Important information:

I believe that 'the way' you use a product is just as important as the product itself. For example, if you use a very good product that is 'supposed' to be suitable for your skin but apply too much of it, your skin may get worse. Having said that, I'd like to give a more detailed description on 'HOW' I use my products.

a.m.
    1. After cleansing, I wait 10 minutes before I put on BPA.
    2. After BHA, I wait 10 minutes before I spot treat w/BP (use Q-tip).
    3. After BP, I wait ~15 min. before Active C

p.m.
    1. same
    2. leave BHA for ~15 min., wash it off, then wait about 10 minutes before applying AHA.
    3. After AHA, wait 10 minutes before spot treat w/ BP (use Q-tip).

In summary, wait 10-15 min. before using another product gives your skin time to calm down & prepare for foreign chemicals (this is my own theory). The time (10-15min.) is not definite; you can be more flexible and reduce that time when you're busy and increase it when you have more time. However, pls. make 5 min. the minimum (no maximum limit).

General tips based on my own experience and my research on this & other websites.
    1. Start off w/mild products
    Example: using 1%BHA instead of 2% when you first try BHA.

2. Be patient & don't give up products too early
    Example: don't stop using a new product because of increased acne in the first few days or weeks (or months, depending on what you're using) of using it.

3. Don't use too much of a product when you think that it's good for you or it has been working well for you
    Example: instead of using a dime size, you use a quarter size.

Since every product works differently for everyone, this is what I personally do to avoid new breakout: Spot test for 1 week.
    Example: Started a few weeks ago, I've been spot testing Tazorac, applying it only to one small spot of my forehead. I used Tazorac with success before I started to breakout in March. Since my face has been 100% clear for the last 2 months, I wanted to go back to Tazorac to prevent future breakout and wrinkle.

Old 08-26-2003, 12:24 PM   #58
    mizzhelpful

mizzhelpful HB User
    What is the BP and BHA?? Where can I get the paula I tried the drugstore and it was not there.
    Quote:
    Originally posted by knut:
    you sound kinda like me; except that I only did the accutane once. I had some harsh side effects so I didn't want to try it again.

I am just now using the paula's choice 2% bha and 2.5% bp. Using the BHA for about two weeks; I just got the bp. I am going to get the alpha hydrox on my way home today and switch off with the bp to see if it will help.

Got my fingers crossed. Best of luck to ya.

Old 08-26-2003, 02:01 PM   #59
    Peanutz1703
    Inactive

Peanutz1703 HB User
    what is bha?

Old 08-26-2003, 02:35 PM   #60
    Hoxy

Hoxy HB User
    Dear Patienceandreward,

Thank you for your answers and explainations. I've been using PC's 1% BHA lotion for a week now. So far so good. It has made my skin soft and smooth, although I'm still breaking out a little. I'm not expecting miracles right away and I'll give it a little bit more time.

Closed Thread