It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• Finally beautiful skin without oral medication

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-26-2003, 07:22 PM   #61
    patienceandreward

patienceandreward HB User
    Dear mizzhelpful & Peanutz1703,

BHA stands for beta hydroxy acid
    BP stands for benzyl peroxide

You can only get Paula's products (BHA & BP) from her on-line store, which you can easily find by typing her name, Paula Begoun (we can't post website URLs here).

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-26-2003, 07:49 PM   #62
    patienceandreward

Dear Hoxy,

I'm happy to hear that your skin is smooth & soft from the products. Pls. do be patient and be confident that your skin will eventually become stable & then acne free. Pls. update me on your progress. Best wishes to you.

Old 08-26-2003, 08:42 PM   #63
    nasiba

nasiba HB User
    I'd just like to point out that you can buy Paula's Choice at online stores other than her own. I don't know what the price difference might be, I always shop around. (I didn't buy from her store, btw).

I've been using the bha in the morning, leaving it on after I wash my face with neutrogena soap. After trying a lot of cleansing products I've found plain old neutrogena still works best for me, it leaves my skin clean without any of the residue it seems everything else does. At night, after cleansing, I leave on the bha for ten minutes then rinse it off. Then I put on the aha, leave it ten minutes then rinse. Then the bp all over. And moisturize if my skin is feeling dry. I wanted to leave on the aha, but my skin felt too irritated afterward. I've done what patience said and waited for a while before applying it, and it seems ok now. I've also become more careful about putting less on, I think I was overdoing it.

Anyway, this has stopped what was a really bad couple of months of breakouts, cold, in a matter of days. My skin really looks so much better overall, as well. Everyone is different and you may need to experiment to find what works best for your skin, but I'm sold on a combination of the bha, aha, and bp for now.

Also, just a note, check on ebay for the Active C. You can find it there sometimes.

[This message has been edited by nasiba (edited 08-26-2003).]

Old 08-26-2003, 09:08 PM   #64
    Hoxy

Hoxy HB User
    Dear Patienceandreward,

Thank you for your answers and explainations. I've been using PC's 1% BHA lotion for a week now. So far so good. It has made my skin soft and smooth, although I'm still breaking out a little. I'm not expecting miracles right away and I'll give it a little bit more time.

Old 08-26-2003, 09:09 PM   #65
    Hoxy

Hoxy HB User
    Oh sorry for the double posting guys I think my computer got messed up.

Old 08-27-2003, 04:21 AM   #66
    Acnepain

Acnepain HB User
    Patience and Reward,

As you may have seen from earlier posts, I was initially delighted with the 1% BHA lotion-however after about 2 weeks, my face broke out. However, I think I was definitely overusing it-I have now received the 2% Liquid solution as I noticed that some people recommended the liquid solution. I'm not trying the 2% BHA Liquid for another few weeks as I have a family wedding next week and don't want to risk another breakout. I used the BHA all over my face- though I only had spots around cheeks and broke out everywhere! So next time I use it, I might just use it on the problem areas.

Old 08-28-2003, 08:16 PM   #67
    patienceandreward

Dear nasiba,

Thank you for the info on Paula's Product & Active C. I had never thought about buying Paula's product elsewhere just because I love the company's customer service so much.

It's not easy to 'not' over-apply a product that seems to be working well for you. Even nowadays, I still have to keep on reminding myself this important message. I personally think that one of the main reasons why a lot of the medications that I had tried in the past 10 years didn't work for me was due to over-using.

Hope you'll continue to see improvement & enjoy a very beautiful complexion soon

[This message has been edited by patienceandreward (edited 08-28-2003).]

[This message has been edited by patienceandreward (edited 08-28-2003).]

Old 08-28-2003, 08:36 PM   #68
    patienceandreward

Dear Acnepain,

I completely understand how frustrating and upsetting it is to get acne at places where you had never had after using a certain product. That happened to me for 3 months(just the first month was pretty bad) when I was using Paula's BHA & BP. However, for some unknown reason, I had a lot of faith & confidence in those 2 products and was willing to go through the frightening purging process.

I'm not suggesting that this will happen to everyone (purging for 3 months and perfect afterwards). However, I do feel that 2 weeks of using Paula's BHA is quite short. Instead of giving it up completely, pls. use it only on blemishes in the next few days. You have nothing to lose since you're putting it on existing acne. That was what I did. I hope that by continuing Paula's BHA in conjuction w/BP (if your skin is not irritated) for a little longer, your skin will start to stabilize. Pls. keep me updated.

Best wishes to you.

Old 08-28-2003, 11:58 PM   #69
    Bonnie1892

Bonnie1892 HB User
    Patience,

I'm sorry for not replying to your post on the first page of this thread sooner.
    Regarding how I used the product: I washed my face with a gentle cleanser (Ellen Lange Daily Maintnance), waited about half an hour, and then applied the 1% BHA and went to bed.
    I used it for about two weeks and just couldn't bear the cysts anymore. Perhaps I simply had an adverse reaction to the BHA? Although on another board there are several people who shared my same experience. Of course, many people love it too.
    I think it is all trial and error. Right now I am using MD Forte Glycolic Cleanser and a gentle moisturizer and am having great results. The GA is a much better exfoliant for me and it's nice that I only have to use 2 products: cleanser & moisturizer.
    I do think that people should try the PC, though. Those that have good results with it really seem to sing its praises. Unfortunately I wasn't one of them.

Old 08-29-2003, 08:46 PM   #70
    patienceandreward

Dear Bonnie1892,

Thank you for sharing your experience. I'm glad you found something else that works for you. That's the most important thing.

However, based on my own experience & my research, it is quite common for people to break out w/cysts during the first few weeks. However, they go away in about a month. After that, the improvement continues drastically. So, I always recommend to 'spot test' for 1 month before making a decision as to quit using the product or continue & apply all over the face.

Wish your skin continue to improve w/MD Forte Glycolic Cleanser

Old 08-29-2003, 09:55 PM   #71
    curiousz

curiousz HB User
    Why are you washing the BHA off?

Old 08-30-2003, 08:44 PM   #72
    patienceandreward

Dear curiousz,

I wash off BHA so that I can put on AHA. Based on what I know, you should not have them on at the same time.

Old 09-02-2003, 08:47 AM   #73
    strange_machine

strange_machine HB User
    Hi, i was wondering if there are other product alternative substitutes other than paula's choice, bhp, ahp, bp, etc.... specifically ones you may buy over the counter?

Old 09-02-2003, 09:24 PM   #74
    patienceandreward

Dear strange_machine,

I use Alpha Hydrox's oil free AHA (over the counter) and really like it. I've never tried any other BHA and BP that are not from Paula. However, I read in a lot of posts in this forum about people having success w/other over-the-counter BHA and BP. I suggest you do a research on this forum to see what over-the-counter BHA & BP has worked for a lot of people.

Best wishes and good luck.

Old 09-03-2003, 06:24 PM   #75
    oilfield

oilfield HB User
    hi patienceandreward,
    i was just curious did u try paula's mask? is it good? im trying to get milk of magnesia over here in singapore but pharmacies here dont carry it anymore... and buying online is so expensive.

Closed Thread