It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• Finally beautiful skin without oral medication

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-04-2003, 08:19 AM   #1
    patienceandreward

patienceandreward HB User
    Talking Finally beautiful skin without oral medication

Before I share my success in battling acne in the last 14 years, I'd like to thank those for spent so much of their time to share their success stories. I have gained a lot from reading most of the posts on this board daily from beginning of March to mid-July of this year.

Brief background:
    1) Started acne at 19. After trying unsuccessfully many oral and topical medication, I was put on Accutane for the 1st time at 20.
    2) Accutane worked like a miracle on me. Acne free after 1 week of taking it. Acne free 99% of the time for 4 years.
    3) Acne came back at 24. Started 2nd course of Accutane. Acne free after a few days of taking it. Acne free 99% of the time for 3 years.
    4) Acne came back at 27. Started 3rd course of Accutane. Acne free 99% of the time for 3 years.
    5) Acne came back at 30. Started 4th course of Accutane. Acne free 99% of the time for 2.5 years.
    6) Acne came back at 33, last year. Started 5th course of Accutane. Acne free 99% of the time for 1 year.
    7) Acne came back this April.

As you can see, I was addicted to Accutane because it got rid of all my acne very quickly. It was a 'fast' temporary solution for me.

This March when acne came, I was tempted to go back to Accutane but didn't after doing massive research. If I had done the research when I was 19, I would have NEVER used Accutane.

Objectively, my acne was moderate this time (subjectively, it was severe because I've had virtually flawless skin for 10+ years because of accutane).

My skin is almost flawless now (1 whitehead), after four months of patience using the following products:

am:
    1) Wash w/Neutrogena gentle foaming cleanser
    2) Paula's Choice 1% BHA all over face (used for 4 months)
    3) Paula's 2.5% BP used only on bumps (used for 4 months)
    4) Roche's Active C all over face as moisturizer (used for 3 weeks)

p.m.
    Same as a.m. but replace 2) with Alpha Hydrox 10% Oil-Free AHA

I saw noticeable result after 1 week of using the regime specified in a.m. After 1 week, improvement continued but skin was still unstable (increased whiteheads about 1 out of 7 days) for 3 months. Started early July, it became stable. No more blemish. Even a week ago when I was at my worse in terms of stress, I didn't break out. However, skin was very tight and dry. That was when I used the Active C as moisturizer. I had never used moisturizer for 6+ years prior to Active C because they made me break out. Active C not only relieved the dryness without causing any blemish, but also improved my overall complexion tremendously.

I will check this board everyday in case anyone has any question regarding what I had written.

Again, I'm very grateful to those who shared on this board. Best wishes to all of us....

Last edited by patienceandreward; 11-13-2003 at 10:34 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-04-2003, 10:06 AM   #2
    patienceandreward

Wink

Just want to add a few comments:

Things I've tried in the past: differin, retin-A, renova, tazorac, benzamycin, tetracyclin, minocin, birth control pills, microdermabration, smooth beam, AHA peel.

There are others that I didn't mention because I either
    1) had forgotten, or
    2) didn't use long enough(more than 1 month) to mention

[This message has been edited by patienceandreward (edited 08-04-2003).]

[This message has been edited by patienceandreward (edited 08-04-2003).]

Old 08-04-2003, 12:14 PM   #3
    knut

knut HB User
    you sound kinda like me; except that I only did the accutane once. I had some harsh side effects so I didn't want to try it again.

I am just now using the paula's choice 2% bha and 2.5% bp. Using the BHA for about two weeks; I just got the bp. I am going to get the alpha hydrox on my way home today and switch off with the bp to see if it will help.

Got my fingers crossed. Best of luck to ya.

Old 08-05-2003, 07:29 AM   #4
    patienceandreward

I switch between 2%BHA & 1%BHA, and find that it works better than 2%BHA alone.

My skin tone looks better each day. Today, I don't have any blemish anymore (not even a whitehead). I've been getting lots of comments like, "you have such nice skin".

Thanks to this board!

[This message has been edited by patienceandreward (edited 08-05-2003).]

Old 08-05-2003, 09:52 AM   #5
    patienceandreward

A big problem I had in the last 14 years- lack of patience!!!!!

I didn't use any of the products long enough(more than 2 months) and went on accutane because it was a 'fast' fix for me. I do regret so much about taking accutane so many times because I might have already damaged my body permanently.

Old 08-05-2003, 10:31 AM   #6
    knut

knut HB User
    I do the same thing. I'm hoping that I can wait this out and just hope that I see results. I always hope to wake up in the morning and be clear. I have seen more results with the BHA than I have from other products. It's almost like layers of the pimple just kinda come off. Like, I literally need to gently "scrub" my face with a towel after I get out of the shower to get off dead skin, or whatever it is.

I would go back to using the non-medicated cleansing cloths (oil of olay or dove) for that reason, but I just got the cleanser from Paula's choice; and I like it well enough. It's not drying at all which I like.

I need to find the moisturizer now though.

Old 08-05-2003, 11:08 AM   #7
    patienceandreward

Hi Knut,

I've had really difficult time with finding the right moisturizer when I was 19 to mid-20's. Every time when a new moisturizer was introduced and recommended in the magazine, I would buy it. During those years, I spent about $200/month on buying moisturizer. After reading Paula's book, The Beauty Bible, I stopped using moisturizer. My skin had been great in those few years without moisturizer (no acne & no wrinkle) until I started to use BHA & BP for acne this April. After doing research on this and other websites, I tried jojoba oil for almost 2 months. Although I don't think it has caused me to breakout, I don't think the jojoba oil helped me w/the dryness/tightness. I went to a new dermatologist (I have more than 10 dermatologists) recommended by my friend, and he told me to use Roche Active C. It works perfectly on my skin.

Old 08-05-2003, 12:31 PM   #8
    fightinghypo

fightinghypo HB User
    Glad to hear of your successes.
    I recently began using Paua's
    products and so far so good.
    Where can you find Roche Active C?

Thanks

Old 08-05-2003, 01:26 PM   #9
    patienceandreward

Fightinghypo,

I got mine from my dermatologist's office while I was visiting Vancouver in June. Now that I'm in the U.S., I'm also trying to find Active C on-line for my friends and family. I will let you know when I find it, which should be tomorrow, at the latest.

[This message has been edited by patienceandreward (edited 08-06-2003).]

Old 08-05-2003, 08:21 PM   #10
    fightinghypo

fightinghypo HB User
    Thanks for the reply.

You know Paula makes several moisturizer/sunscreens as well.
    Have you ever tried them?
    I am thinking of trying now because the BHA's are drying me out a bit.

Old 08-05-2003, 08:34 PM   #11
    patienceandreward

I have tried Paula's Essential Non-Greasy Sunscreen SPF 15 and Extra Care Non-Greasy Sunscreen SPF 30+ for about a month, but didn't like the way it looked(very greasy) and felt(skin felt that it couldn't breathe). I forgot whether or not it had made me broke out.

I'm currently using Neutrogena's Ultra Sheer Dry-Touch Sunblock SPF 30, a sunscreen highly recommended by Paula. I've been using it everyday for a month now. It is the ONLY sunscreen I've tried (and I've tried 50+ different sunscreen)that looks non-greasy and feels good on my skin.

Old 08-05-2003, 08:53 PM   #12
    Mandilyn
    (female)

Mandilyn HB User
    Im curious on what were your side effects for taking Accutane so much times?

Old 08-06-2003, 02:37 AM   #13
    Acnepain

Acnepain HB User
    Talking

Hi everyone,

I have used accutane twice in the past- last one finished in March this year with fabulous results as usual while on it and for about 3 months afterwards. Then I started getting spots again (especially around cheeks and side of nose) - not as bad- but still so frustrating after having crystal clear skin for almost 9 mths.
    Having read many emails about Paula's Choice products, I decided to order Paula's choice 1% BHA and have been using this for the last 2.5 weeks and its brilliant! I wear Make up during the day- but I only use water to wash my face and then apply a small amount of this all over my face and if necessary some oil free moisturiser. My skin is lovely and clear- not as flawless as when on accutane but still clear enough for me to be happy with it- no bumps under the skin like before. I have noticed that some people are recommending the Alpha Hydroxy as well so I might try this some time in the future. I also take some vitamins each day- Vit A, B complex, B6, B5, Zinc, and fish oil- just normal daily intake- not excessive amounts.

Hope this helps some of you.........

Old 08-06-2003, 07:34 AM   #14
    patienceandreward

Dear Mandilyn,

The only side effects I had while I was on Accutane were dry feet and nose, which didn't bother me a bit. That was why I took it so many times-every time when acne came back.

Currently, I don't have any noticeable side effect. However, based on my research, most of the damage may show up many years later. These damage include joint and muscle problems.

Since I can't change my past (not to take Accutane) nor predict my future (if I will have joint problems), I try to do everything I can now to be the best person that I can be. I've been exercising 1 hour/day, eating healthily, drinking 15+ cups of water, sleeping 9 hours/day, and caring and loving the people around me.

Old 08-06-2003, 07:47 AM   #15
    patienceandreward

Dear Acnepain,

Since you've only used Paula's BHA for 2.5 weeks and seeing good result, you will probably continue to see the improvement. My skin as of today is as flawless as when I was on Accutane. It is really unbelievable to me! I hope you will continue to see beautiful skin.

Closed Thread