It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

Acne possibly a side effect of allergies

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-09-2010, 12:35 PM   #1
Boodare
(female)

Boodare HB User
Lightbulb Acne possibly a side effect of allergies

Hello!

I am 24 and still battling with acne on my face, neck, back, and shoulder area. I had really bad acne that left scars as a teenager. I recently came to the conclusion that it must be related to a food allergy, as I am very good about keeping clean and have tried every single product known to acne (practically).

About a week ago, I began keeping a food diary and eliminating dairy as a culprit and also increasing my veggies and fruits. I eat decently healthy and am pretty active. My acne has really cleared up, but now I have the unsightly scars to deal with. I still have a little acne and I know I am only a week in on this experiment. I am just curious as to how much dairy I should eliminate? Right now I only eat eggs. I guess the next step is to eliminate sugars as well as carbs like pasta and rices that are not multigrain.

This post is just some healthy advice for some that still struggle. Your skin is an organ and it rids the body of toxins. You just have to determine what toxins these are. It could be diet related. So please give it a shot! It has helped me and I even took birth control to help with acne, but it never went away. Hope this helps.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-12-2010, 09:02 PM   #2
wishful006
(female)

wishful006 HB User
Re: Acne possibly a side effect of allergies

I too think that all of my sudden acne problems when turning 21 could have something to do with a food allergy or sensitivity.

A few months ago I went to the extreme though, only eating salads and healthy foods and lost 10 pounds, which put me down to 92 lbs!!

I didnt really notice a change in my skin, but it could be because hormones could be affecting it also.

I do notice that whenever I do eat alot of carbs, or candy, high sugar and high salt rich foods, I get a few more bumps sometimes within hours, or within the next day or so. Now I am going to go back to eating veggies (not as much fruit because they have excessive amounts of sugar, natrual or not, in them) and I will see what happens.

BTW, I went to an allergist and he refused to give me food allergy testing because he said that allergies wouldnt manifest themselves just as acne, it would be more of a hive like reaction all over the body, not just in the acne prone areas like the back chest and face,but I disagree. Any type of allergy will cause your body to produce inflammation. The acne is then aggrivated by the swelling and extra heat that your body produces when triggered by an allergy or sensitivity, and it shows as a more visable bump that may have never erupted from under the skin if not for the ingested food.

I know that dairy products and processed foods (especially meats) contain hormones that cause many people to flare. I would not eat any eggs at all. I love eggs, so I know how hard this is! If you do notice improvements from changing your diet, dont go back to your old eating habits, or it will more than likely return, because you can never be exactly sure what is causing it. It could be a preservative that is in every other food item on the shelf at the store, its a matter of becoming a detective and figuring it out. so be careful.

Closed Thread