It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• Has anyone had the "intial breakout" with Yasmin that lasted MORE than a month?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-09-2003, 02:37 PM   #1
    knut

knut HB User
    Question Has anyone had the "intial breakout" with Yasmin that lasted MORE than a month?

I'm thinking of trying it as a new birth control and have it possibly decrease the oil on my face.

Just wondering if I should start it now; or wait till after the holidays. I know everyone is different, just wondering what your experiences are.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-09-2003, 03:08 PM   #2
    latayy26
    Veteran
    (female)

latayy26 HB User
    Mine last a little over a month. I'm starting my third pack next week. I say start now, it's amazing once it starts working and I don't even think I'm at my best point yet.

Old 10-09-2003, 03:15 PM   #3
    LauraRo

LauraRo HB User
    I think I heard that yasmine can make some people gain weight. Do you know if you heard that that is true? Someone told me it could be up to 30lbs. Yikes!

Old 10-09-2003, 03:24 PM   #4
    Product_Queen

Product_Queen HB User
    I heard about the major weight gain too which is why I didn't go on it...But everyone responds differently

Old 10-09-2003, 03:48 PM   #5
    latayy26
    Veteran
    (female)

latayy26 HB User
    Actually I've read that Yasmin is more likely to make you NOT gain weight..and possibly even lose weight since it is a diuretic.

Old 10-09-2003, 06:05 PM   #6
    Perseverant25

Perseverant25 HB User
    I'm starting my fourth week, and though my face (I think) has started to improve, it has in now way completely recovered from the breakout that occured in the middle of week 2. I'm hopeful though!

Old 10-09-2003, 06:44 PM   #7
    jj22

jj22 HB User
    Knut-
    You read my mind. I heard of all of the potentially wonderful things Yasmin can do. I've been on orthotricyclen for four years now and it seems to have just stopped working. From the location of my acne, I can definitely tell it is hormonal. I am hoping Yasmin will really help matters. I'm scheduled to start Yasmin at the end of October. I'm a little apprehensive because I don't want to be experiencing some horrible intial breakouts during Thanksgiving and Christmas. It's something you don't want to share with the family. Let me know what you decide on doing. I'm still debating....

Old 10-09-2003, 08:09 PM   #8
    venicegirly8

venicegirly8 HB User
    my gyno said: Yasmin will make your complexion worse for about 2-3 months, sort of a cleansing period, after that yur complexion clears up very nicely... she also said that you will pee out about 2 lbs of water weight, so on Yasmin you'll lose weight and are not likely to gain (although this might not be true for everyone since we all have different bodies)... as far as weight goes here's a good thing to remember: "any pill that comes in a round container (the plastic thing that holds your pill pack, not the pill pack itself), will tend to make you round (ie gain weight)"

hope that all helped

Old 10-10-2003, 07:08 AM   #9
    knut

knut HB User
    Thanks for the info! I've been on OTC for about 31/2 years also and it hasn't done anything for me. I've taken antibiotics here and there; but I haven't taken any antibiotics for a long time now. I just need to try a different route.

I went to the doctor a couple months ago and she wrote me out a new script giving me OTC LO; and said that it was the same thing but it might help with my sex drive since it had fewer hormones. Well, I figured out that the higher dosages of estrogen is what can help acne; so this LO isn't the option for me. Not only that; but since OTC hasn't done anything for the past 3 years, I doubt that LO will do anything (obviously).

So, there are so many options out there that I either can pick and choose, or go ahead and try Yasmin, one that has worked for so many people. I read somewhere that the reason that Yasmin works is because the progestin is different from most and the effect on the body (sebacious glands/oil production/acne) from using Yasmin would be similar to if you used spironlactone.

So, anyway, I made an appt. today to talk to my doctor about it. I'm 1/2 way through my pack of OTC lo; but I think that it would be alright to just start into the pack of Yasmin (hey, I wouldn't mind going a couple more weeks without a period anyway). But I'm going to double check with her.

I just can only hope that I'm lucky and that it starts to work for me right away. I mean, I've been dealing with these huge lumps on my face for a long time. I can deal with them if the Yasmin causes them, but hopefully I would have a light at the end of the tunnel that they would go away soon.

JJ -
    Yeah, the last thing that I want to do is be all broken out for christmas time. We are flying back home to be around a bunch of family and friends that we never get to see. I'll be meeting people that I've never met before so I'm anxious. I'm just hoping that I look better than I do right now. I figured that my breakouts are hormonal too; becuase I basically break out all around my chin and my mouth.

Old 10-10-2003, 11:25 AM   #10
    knut

knut HB User
    well, I got the prescription. going to start them tonite.

And despite everything that I've said about antibiotics; I'm now going to swallow it all; because I'm going to take a month long course of bactrim starting tonite also. My face right now is the WORST that it has been in a long time and I'm having a very hard time dealing with it. I have cyst and nodules all around my mouth and chin and I'm an oil slick. It's to the point that I think about this all the time and I'm just very depressed and not myself.

So, I've given into an antibiotic; just not long
    term

Old 10-10-2003, 11:36 AM   #11
    latayy26
    Veteran
    (female)

latayy26 HB User
    Knut- I found that taking an antibiotic at the same time as the Yasmin really decreased the Yasmin's effectiveness and broke me out. After a month of the antibiotic, I went off it and stayed on the Yasmin and began to clear up immediately. Maybe it will work for you though. I'm sure other people taken antibtioics with bcps.

Old 10-10-2003, 03:03 PM   #12
    coloradogirl1
    Veteran

coloradogirl1 HB User
    Knut,
    Did you start the Yasmin? I took it for one day, broke out and freaked out so I stopped. I'm on antibiotics now. I'm hoping that it will clear me up and then I can try the Yasmin again.

Old 10-11-2003, 02:03 PM   #13
    colleenredmond

colleenredmond HB User
    I am going on to the fourth month of the Yasmin and my skin is not any better. However my facial hair has gotten better, my chest has cleared up without using meds on it, and I am not loosing any scalp hair anymore. I am trying one to two more months of this and if I still see breakouts up the ying yang I will get off of it. I have had cysts since I started this though I got them before but not as much as I am getting now.

Old 10-13-2003, 09:10 AM   #14
    knut

knut HB User
    I started taking the yasmin and the bactrim on the 10th (friday).

I know that the bactrim may decrease the effectiveness of the pill, but i'll just have to be careful then.

Old 10-13-2003, 09:31 AM   #15
    jj22

jj22 HB User
    Knut,
    I know exactly what you mean about this is all you think about now and you are not yourself. The same thing is happening to me lately. I've become completely obsessed with my skin. It's the first thing I look at in the morning and the last thing I inspect before I go to bed at night. I started drinking green tea in mass quantities (3 cups a day) and I think there is a slight improvement. Supposedly there is some hormonal connection there. It's filled wiht anti-oxidants that are good for the skin. I'll keep you posted on it. I'm seeing a new derm at the end of the month and I'm going to talk to her before starting Yasmin. I'm really keeping my fingers crossed that it works! Please let me know how you are doing on it. Take care,
    JJ

Closed Thread