It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• Help! I think Smoothbeam destroyed my face!!!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-28-2003, 10:01 AM   #1
    coloradogirl1
    Veteran

coloradogirl1 HB User
    Post Help! I think Smoothbeam destroyed my face!!!

I got desperate and had my first Smoothbeam treatment yesterday at 3:00. I woke up this morning and I have half moon shaped red and brown scars all over my face!!! Oh my god, is this permanent? I have pretty white skin and I've only heard of hyperpigmentation on olive/dark skinned people. It sounded too good to be true during the consultation, I guess it is!!! The worst part is that these scars are all over my cheeks and temples - where I don't have any acne! Does anyone have any input?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-28-2003, 11:05 AM   #2
    dance4calif

dance4calif HB User
    Sorry I really don't have any advice other than to call the doctor's office immediately.

Sometimes with lasers skin discoloration is only temporary and can be healed faster with bleaching cream.

I had the Cool Touch laser a week ago. I have olive skin and was given a prescription bleaching cream two weeks prior to my treatment. So far (knock on wood), everything has been OK.

Old 10-28-2003, 10:10 PM   #3
    Perseverant25

Perseverant25 HB User
    I've had smoothbeam done, and I had little pink spots all over my face where the laser was used for a few days. It fades pretty fast, and the results are great for scars and pigmentation problems!

Old 10-28-2003, 11:33 PM   #4
    pvshyboy7

pvshyboy7 HB User
    hahaha... i've tried those and yes, half of my face was just.. complete mess. brown spots EVERYWHEREEEEEE. i had to go to school like a moron for 2 weeks until it went away. EVERYONE in my school was like "what happened to your face?".. argh, i'll never do that again. it didnt make my skin better either.

Old 10-28-2003, 11:35 PM   #5
    pvshyboy7

pvshyboy7 HB User
    hahaha... i've tried those and yes, half of my face was just.. complete mess. brown spots EVERYWHEREEEEEE. and guess what my doctor said. "THE BEAM WORKED REALLY GOOD ON YOU THIS TIME" (becuz that was my second time.

i had to go to school like a moron for 2 weeks until it went away. EVERYONE in my school was like "what happened to your face?".. argh, i'll never do that again. it didnt make my skin better either.

Old 10-29-2003, 10:33 AM   #6
    coloradogirl1
    Veteran

coloradogirl1 HB User
    The half moon scars look way worse today - they are bright brown/red, and a lot more of them are noticeable toay. Does that mean that it is getting better or just worse? I went back to the doctor and he gave me hydrocortisone and said that he doesn't think that the same thing will happen after my next treatment. That is what he is concerned about, making money off of the rest of my treatments, not my scarred up face. Anyway, I think that there might be some potential in this laser thing, but we need to give them a while to do all of the research on facial acne and possible side effects. I WILL NOT go back for more treatments. Just so you all know, Smoothbeam is NOT approved by the FDA for facial acne, only back acne - on men. Even that approval is based solely on one study.

Old 10-30-2003, 03:37 PM   #7
    coloradogirl1
    Veteran

coloradogirl1 HB User
    Thank you for your responses. For those of you that did have brown spots after the laser (or knew someone) were they crescent shaped like mine? How long was it before they started to fade?

I did a search on the internet and found plenty of people that had permanent hyperpigmentation from lasers. Like acne isn't enough to worry about, now I have to worry about ridiculous looking brown half circles all over my face. I look like something from a science fiction movie. Has anyone experienced or known anyone that has experienced permanent hyperpigmentation from a laser?

Also, if anyone is going to do Smoothbeam, please follow these suggestions because I think this is where I went wrong.

1. Get a patch test at least a week before
    2. Make sure you are off antibiotics for a while (I had just finished doxy a week ago)
    3. Don't take advil or alleve
    4. Make sure that you haven't tanned in a while
    5. Make sure a doctor does it - not a technician or assistant or spa employee (I heard a horror story about a woman who got it done at a spa with horrible results and they went bankrupt before she could sue).

Of course the doctor didn't tell me any of this, I got it off the internet, after they butchered my face.

Any more input would help me so much right now. THANK YOU.

Old 10-31-2003, 05:33 AM   #8
    whoopie

whoopie HB User
    This happened to me years ago after a co2 laser procedure. It took months of a Retin A, Hydroquonine mixture applied nightly, but it did fade, just took some time. And it was really bad, so I feel for you, but I think in the long run you will be fine. Good luck and God bless.

Old 10-31-2003, 08:17 AM   #9
    remy03

remy03 HB User
    I am olive skinned and I got 3 Smoothbeam treatments. One the 3rd treatment I got brown laser spots on my upper checks and 1 on chin line. My derm said it should fade quick and it has been 2.5 months and they are still there. I will never do Smoothbeam again. I suggest if the dark spots don't fade soon, Microdermabrasion would help even out your skin tone. Good Luck !

Old 10-31-2003, 12:54 PM   #10
    coloradogirl1
    Veteran

coloradogirl1 HB User
    Whoopie,
    Did you see a gradual fading over the many months? I do not see any healing of these scars whatsoever. Even with pimple scars, I can see them heal day by day.

Remy03,
    Have your scars been fading at all or do they look pretty much the same as 2.5 months ago?

I went to another derm and he said that he thinks that they will fade quick too but I'll tell you I'm still worried, especially hearing other people's experiences.

Old 11-05-2003, 07:51 AM   #11
    whoopie

whoopie HB User
    Coloradogirl1,
    The fading of the pigmented marks was very, very gradual. I was very scared, but it did fade. I can definetly sympathize with you. You will be ok though, it will just take time.

Old 11-05-2003, 03:24 PM   #12
    remy03

remy03 HB User
    Fading takes forever

The spots have been fading very slowly. I have had 2 microderm sessions and have been using tazorac and a fade cream a few weeks after my last Smoothbeam. Just recently have i started to see a difference. i really think it will take a couple more months and few more microderm sessions to be completely gone. I thought they would fade quicker but it has been really frustrating.

Old 11-05-2003, 03:31 PM   #13
    coloradogirl1
    Veteran

coloradogirl1 HB User
    Remy,
    Did you notice a difference in your acne after the treatments? How about now? How long has it been?

Old 07-16-2008, 02:45 PM   #14
    maggie88
    (female)

maggie88 HB User
    Re: Help! I think Smoothbeam destroyed my face!!!

Colorado,

How long was it until the marks finally faded? I got smoothbeam done 2.5 months ago and the brown circles from my smoothbeam session are still on my face? I am using a bleaching cream but it is not helping? Do you recommed anything?

Closed Thread