It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

What's the best way to treat my type of Acne?

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-01-2010, 04:00 PM   #1
BHERM88
(female)

BHERM88 HB User
What's the best way to treat my type of Acne?

I suffer from a very severe, chronic case of WHITEHEADS! I had them for years now. They have taken over my forehead, cheeks, chin, mouth, and lower jaw area. I used all but every BP and SA product out there, I've gone to a dermatologist who put me on Retin-A (dosage was increased 3x) and that did nothing but make my skin 100x worse! I'm now using a Glycolic Acid cleanser with a 12% Glycolic Acid cream and an oil-free moisturizer all from the Alpha Hydrox line. I steam my face 2x a week, 15 minutes each and I use the Aspirin Mask remedy with a little honey as an exfoliator 2x a week. I've been doing this regimen for 5 months now with not one sign of improvment. My face becomes immune to all but everything I use. I just don't know what to do anymore. I have zero self confindence because of this acne. It's the only thing people can see when they look at me! I was getting facials/extractions once a month to help get rid of some of the whiteheads but literally 1-2 weeks after I'd get the whiteheads removed, they'd come right back, so it was just a big waste of money. I also suffer from Milia which are the hard, small but very white bumps around my eyes. And they have been impossible to remove. I'm now considering a chemical peel or microdermabrassion but before I waste that money, I need to know if there is something else out there that will help get rid of this type of acne??? Or I am doing something wrong?? I drink nothing but water all day long and I eat a healthy, well balanced diet. Please someone help me!

P.S. I'm positive the acne I have is considered whiteheads. I've had two doctors tell me that anyway. But to better describe it (since I don't have a picture) they are clusters of small, flesh colored bumps under the skin but are still visible on the surface of the skin especially in sunlight. So please someone tell me if it's call something different. THANKS!!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-07-2010, 09:30 PM   #2
Shamsam
(female)

Shamsam HB User
Re: What's the best way to treat my type of Acne?

Hi BEHERM88
When I was reading your story and specially your routine during the week I couldn't help but start wondering if you are actually over-cleansing your skin?

I'm not a professional in this way so keep that in mind but I've had my share with skin problems for years (still do) and the best advice I got was not to overdo it. Using too heavy cleansing, scrubbing, peeling etc constantly just made my skin think it needed more and more moisturizing so my skin was overactive -> i cleansed and cleansed and more and more there was to clean. I never had/wanted to take meds (thank gosh for that, I'm scared of them) for once I tried this lotion from pharmacy with a lot of acids that was supposed to be THE most effective one and it literally burned my skin and peeled one layer off (it also bleached most of my clothes!). It took me a loooong time to get my skin better after that. So I'm going with very mild stuff myself and for some reason it seems to help.

My suggestion is to try and calm things down a bit with all the peeling and scrubbing and this and that. I don't know if it helps with you but it did with me - after a facial I do 2*cleansing/day (mild lacto-acid liquid, gentle toner that calms, moisturizes and closes the pores, oil-free but moisturizing moisturizer - different for day and night), tea-tree products locally to calm skin down, 1*week gently rubbing cleansing and calming mask and if something starts to break then I use pharmacy sticks for local break outs. For some reason the routine has helped with whiteheads and pimples - some of the more liquid sticks from pharmacy have even dried (or peeled off?) whiteheads! And I try to get facial at least 4 times a year (when seasons change) or more if that seems needed.

I've dropped almost all the make-up, just using light foundation to even up the color of my skin (that kind that is proven NOT to block pores) when going out and just a light touch of powder on my nose, forehead and cheek to stop shining. I try to let my skin breath as much as possible.

I don't know how old you are but I made the mistake of using "teen age" products even when I'm not a teenager anymore - so as the skin goes older, even if the problem is the same, one has to change products to support the skin better. That's also what my cosmetologist told and it has worked. And it never harms to check your diet and add vitamins in case it seems you're lacking some.

So this is what worked with me, surely I didn't have it quite as bad as you have (according to your description) but maybe worth to try. I really hope you find the cure and your skin starts to get better. Keep the spirit up!!!

ps. don't be too obsessed with the skin - after all those who see only that when they see you are definitely just blind!

Last edited by Shamsam; 08-07-2010 at 09:32 PM.

Old 08-08-2010, 08:38 AM   #3
WhenItRains
Veteran
(female)

WhenItRains HB UserWhenItRains HB UserWhenItRains HB UserWhenItRains HB UserWhenItRains HB UserWhenItRains HB UserWhenItRains HB User

If you can,go back to a dermatologist.Retin-A is NOT the only thing that they can give you.Retin-A didn't really help me either,so don't think you are beyond help here.

I would ask to try Differin gel.For some reason people who have no luck with Retin-A,they do better with Differin.A good dermatologist would also prescribe you a short term (1-3 months) oral antibiotic to get things moving faster and help keep your initial break out from being too bad.

Also,adding in a BP face wash is a good idea.Salicylic acid is ok for exfoliating,but Bp helps kill bacteria AND exfoliate.
I would use nothing less then 10%.

Acne is a PROCESS,so it helps to use a combination of things to combat it.Differin to cut back on oil and keep pores unclogged,Antibiotic to get rid of any underlying infection beneath the skin,BP to help kill surface bacteria and exfoliate WITHOUT SCRUBBING.

I would really stop with the steam.For some people this can aggravate the situation because it swells the skin.

If those don't work there is always Aczone,hormonal treatments or Accuatane.

Generally with bad acne just using Topicals really isn't enough.You need to fight it from the inside...the source.
Whether it is infection,or too much oily from hormones.

Old 08-08-2010, 05:26 PM   #4
BHERM88
(female)

BHERM88 HB User

Thanks guys for ur info. I do agree that what I was using was too much, too harsh. I'm actually on a new regimen now. I no longer use the glycolic acid products. I'm trying that new Oxy Clinical line & so far so good! My whiteheads are getting smaller day by day. I cant use it twice a day tho because it dries my face too much & I got the flaky effect from it. But I use the Neutrogena Extra Gentle Cleanser in the AM, then a witch hazel toner, the Oxy Clinical 5% BP cream (as a spot treatment) then the Neutrogena Oil Free Moisturizer for Sensitive Skin. In the PM I use the whole Oxy Clinical three step system. My face is actually the same color of my chest now, before it was super pale & even tho most of my acne was non-inflamed, the ones that were inflamed are all but gone. I'm slowing down on the steaming too. I just had to write this update tho because it's been six years since I've found something that works & I know Oxy is more for teens but it truly is working on my adult skin!! My first time ever using it & it's actually working!! Sorry I'm just so happy, finally.

Old 08-09-2010, 12:40 AM   #5
Shamsam
(female)

Shamsam HB User

wow, that's so great to hear Don't say sorry, you should feel happy and definitely enjoy all that! Congratulations!! Keep it up, and keep your spirit up!

ps. I'm definitely going to check out your new products

Old 08-09-2010, 01:09 AM   #6
luvmakeup1000
(female)

luvmakeup1000 HB User

wow, I read this and felt so bad for you but I'm glad you are finding something that works for you!

Old 08-09-2010, 12:20 PM   #7
BHERM88
(female)

BHERM88 HB User

Shamsam,

Thank you! And you should def check out those products! When I thought of Oxy it made me think of teen acne. Even when I was a teen I never used it. It was my husband that made me want to try it. He uses a face wash from their line (and only a face wash, nothing else) and he seriously never has breakouts! He's used Oxy since he was a teen and continues to use their line now as an adult in his late twenty's. And I mean he has flawless skin (no blackheads, no whiteheads, he has very small pores!) now he occasionally gets a tiny breakout, like 1 or 2 little inflamed pimples at a time, but only a few times a year! It makes me so jealous! I was to the point where it seemed like I tried everything so I figured what the heck! And I'm just so glad I tried them. I would def recommend their Clinical line if you have moderate or more severe like acne. But def only use it at night because I started out am and pm and by day three I was tight, dry, and flaky like crazy! So it def was too much all at once. But I'm on day two of using the Neutrogena Extra Gentle Cleanser and Oil-free Moisture for Sensitive Skin with the Oxy products and its already started making the tight dry feeling decrease and the flaky skin is partially gone. The only thing that does bother me about both line of products is they use an ingredient called diazolidinyl urea which I know in high dosages is very harmful and known to cause cancers. I believe in small dosages though it may be harmless but I'm still trying to research that. But if you do decide to try these products out def let me know how they work for you Take care!

Old 08-09-2010, 12:36 PM   #8
WhenItRains
Veteran
(female)

WhenItRains HB UserWhenItRains HB UserWhenItRains HB UserWhenItRains HB UserWhenItRains HB UserWhenItRains HB UserWhenItRains HB User

I agree don't say sorry.I have been using the Oxy 10% Bp face wash for a year now and it works great.
I'm glad something is working for you

Closed Thread