It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• can i stop these horrifying bcs mid pack?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-15-2000, 02:10 PM   #1
    Katie

Katie HB User
    can i stop these horrifying bcs mid pack?

As far as I see birth control has done nothing but ruin my skin and make it worse..but then again I've only tried it for about a month and a half but even the docs say it's not supposed to get worse before it gets better. should i just ditch the damn things now, imean my horomones are already messed up as it is. what do you guys think. wait it out until the end of the pack>

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-15-2000, 04:35 PM   #2
    sabrina

sabrina HB User
    Re: can i stop these horrifying bcs mid pack?

hey i think u should stick it out a while longer and see what will happen, from what i hear it can take a few months before improvement
    i have been on diane35 for a month and a half an so far i think its improving slightly

Old 12-15-2000, 10:35 PM   #3
    girl interrupted

girl interrupted HB User

Katie my dear,
    I say ditch 'em. Unless you really want to be on the pill for other reasons (nudge nudge wink wink) I would definitely say DON'T use them for acne control. They help many people, but I've never heard of a case where the pill really cured acne. Usually it works in conjunction with a topical med. Anyway, I was on Ortho for 2 yrs and it didn't help me. Instead it gave me migraines and skin hyperpigmentation. If you want to stop them mid-pack, you're not harming your body. You will disrupt your menstrual cycle and it will start again at a new place, but who cares? It doesn't hurt you. But I probably wouldn't stop and start off and on repeatedly. Anyway good luck, and try vit B5!

-Girl

Old 12-15-2000, 11:51 PM   #4
    Susan

Susan HB User

Katie,

If your acne is affected by your hormones, like it is for me, and you're in the middle of the pack of your birth control pills, then you're right at that time of the month when your acne is flaring because of hormones. The pill is probably not making it worse, but it's not helping, either. You could try to stick it out another month or two and see if it makes a difference. If it was me, I wouldn't quit in the middle of the pack and mess up my cycle. I have enuf trouble with my hormones as it is.

I noticed in the other thread that you're starting Accutane. I hope you have good luck with that. As your doctor has said, birth control is a very important issue when you're taking Accutane. I know you're not planning to need birth control, if you know what I mean, but some doctors are real sticklers about requiring that you use it while taking Accutane. Some doctors won't refill Accutane prescriptions if you're not taking the pill, or some will require that you get a blood test each month to make sure you're not pregnant. And that's pretty expensive. So if you don't want to continue with the Ortho, see if you can get switched to something else. Or maybe try Diane35, which some people have had success with.

Susan

Closed Thread