It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• skilled relaxation

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-15-2001, 06:15 PM   #1
    gianni

gianni HB User
    skilled relaxation

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone on this board has heard of Dr. Walt Stoll's approach to ``curing'' acne through diet, excercise and what he calls ``skilled relaxation.'' He claims to have had little success prescribing conventional treatments for years (I'm sure most of us can identify with that....) but that he has a nearly 100% success rate with his approach (which takes at least six months).

The approach makes a lot of sense: acne is, at its root, an endocrine disorder (the adrenal glands can stimulate the sebaceous glands to secrete....), and the ``skilled relaxation'' is supposed to neutralize the ``fight-or-flight'' response which some of us experience on a nearly constant basis.

Ciao....<p>[This message has been edited by moderator3 (edited 02-15-2001).]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-15-2001, 07:05 PM   #2
    gianni

gianni HB User
    Re: skilled relaxation

Hi Infinity,

I tried to include a URL in my message, but the moderator tanked it (major faux pas). Anyway, I don't have a personal email account and prefer not to use my work account until I get a personal one. If you type ``Walt Stoll'' on your favorite search engine, you'll get there....

Ciao,

-G

Old 02-16-2001, 09:52 AM   #3
    tommy jojo

tommy jojo HB User

yay!!! i'm back baby.

i was really into Dr. Stoll a year ago, i bought a buncho EFAs and tried to get into the relaxation, but it's really hard when you're busy. i really don't recommend it, and i personally don't think it's even worth trying, i think B5 is the best thing out there. skilled relaxation is mo' def' something i want to get into, but i don't have the time or discipline right now.<p>[This message has been edited by tommy jojo (edited 02-16-2001).]

Old 02-16-2001, 04:30 PM   #4
    gianni

gianni HB User

I've been trying the skilled relaxation for about four months now, but I haven't been consistent with it (total lack of discipline). I think to give it a fair trial, you'd have to make sure you elicited the ``relaxation response'' (a la Herbert Benson, M.D.) for at least 20 minutes, twice a day. Unfortunately, I don't have ready access to an EEG! I do notice that my stress level goes WAY down after I've meditated for 20 minutes.

-G

Old 02-22-2001, 01:33 PM   #5
    gianni

gianni HB User

Thanks to moderator 3 for the info on the biofeedback techniques. That's the first study I've come across on the effectiveness of relaxation techniques for acne. The technique is so simple and is associated with so many other health benefits that I think it's definitely worth trying.

Ciao...

-G

Closed Thread