It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• Why is my skin still red? I've been off accutane for almost 4 months... (read)

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-20-2001, 05:22 PM   #1
    Thot

Thot HB User
    Why is my skin still red? I've been off accutane for almost 4 months... (read)

I took my last accutane-pill sometime late in October last year. I started taking B5 right after that, to prevent the acne from coming back. I had a pause from accutane late in the treatment, got a lot of acne, so I wasn't taking any chances this time.

Anyways, it's almost 4 months since I took the last accutane-pill. And my skin is still red! Not around the mouth ,my forhead or my eyes, but the rest of the face is red.

Has anyone else experienced this? What do I do? I'm desperate!

Hoping someone knows what's happening......this is making me feel terrible........

-Thot

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-20-2001, 05:59 PM   #2
    swissmiss

swissmiss HB User
    Re: Why is my skin still red? I've been off accutane for almost 4 months... (read)

Thot--
    Could you be using and products that would irritate your skin?

Old 02-20-2001, 06:42 PM   #3
    Thot

Thot HB User
    Re: Why is my skin still red? I've been off accutane for almost 4 months... (read)

No, I'm not using anything that could irritate my skin. I wash my face morning and evening with a soap-free soap (so to speak). And use moisturizer evenings. And, as I said, I'm taking B5.

Old 02-21-2001, 05:50 PM   #4
    ryan

ryan HB User

soap-free soap. hehe... anyway, you may want to try moisturizing two or three times a day a day, say, once in the morning after you shower (assuming this is your daily regimen), once in the evening, and again before you go to bed, providing you don't put anything such as retin-a or something on your skin.

washing your face twice a day shouldn't cause a problem, even with astringents and such (basically, most acne face washes). the moisturizing will help counter the effects. skin is especially susceptible to irritation in winter, and that can cause breakouts and persistent redness.

is the moisturizer you're using non-comedogenic? just checking. that's important. if your redness doesn't go away, it could be something else such as rosacea. you may need to get it checked. question though; is it like a flushing in the face, or, in certain spots such as where old acne once was, or, maybe both?

Old 02-22-2001, 02:00 PM   #5
    gianni

gianni HB User

Thot,

Someone I know had a similar experience after taking accutane: red face after being off the drug for months. Her derm diagnosed her with rosacea (red face localized around the cheeks and nose area), which is a circulation problem caused by excessive flushing. If this is what you have, there are treatments available out there which can control it before it gets out of hand. In the meantime, avoid any activity which would normally cause your face to flush (including the usual topical acne treatments!)

-G

Old 02-22-2001, 06:04 PM   #6
    Thot

Thot HB User

I did flush a lot at the end of mye Accutane-tratment, and the redness-problem started around the same time...

So in some cases, Accutane actually causes acne rosacea?

I've been away working at a movie-production a little while now, but I'm going home in three weeks, and I'm going to see my derm then.

All I'm doing is take B5, and use a non-commedogenic moisturizer (this written correctly?) =)

What happened to your friend after getting it diagnosed?

Old 02-22-2001, 06:20 PM   #7
    gianni

gianni HB User

Thot,

Not much you can do about the redness except avoid anything which causes flushing. My fiend took a topical antibiotic called metrogel (I think it's specifically used to treat rosacea since it tends to ``calm'' the skin). That seemed to improve things quite a lot. I don't know if she's still on that, and I have no idea whether it was permanent.

-G

Old 02-22-2001, 06:27 PM   #8
    Thot

Thot HB User

Regarding the flushing.....I really don't flush. The skin is just red, constantly.

I've always had sensitive skin, and the fact that I almost had a 7 months Accutane-tratment.... I don't know. I've checked out a lot of rosacea-pictures on the net...and it doeasn't look like what I have, to be honest. Of course, every case is different, but still...

Closed Thread