It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• Can your skin get USED to BP or Salisylic Acid?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-15-2001, 01:59 AM   #1
    Kev

Kev HB User
    Can your skin get USED to BP or Salisylic Acid?

Hey all,

The topic of Benzoyl Peroxide v Salisylic Acid came up and I was wondering, can your skin actually get USED to one of the two?

I used to use the biore blemish bomber which had a ton of salisylic acid in it and man did it clear me up at first. That was like 6 months ago.

After a while I was noticing I kept getting more pimples, even when applying more of the salisylic acid gel.

Now I'm on the combo of BP and B5 but I'm worried my skin may get "used" to the BP and then I'm SOL so to speak...

Any thoughts?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-15-2001, 04:01 AM   #2
    sabrina

sabrina HB User
    Re: Can your skin get USED to BP or Salisylic Acid?

no your skin cant get use to benzoyl peroxide or saliclyic acid

Old 02-15-2001, 11:52 PM   #3
    ryan

ryan HB User

i think skin can "get used to", so to say, salicylic acid. after awhile, it begins to lose its effect. if you've noticed, after awhile of using the same facial cleanser, most of which contain salicylic acid, they don't do as well. to counter this effect, you should probably switch back and forth between two or three different types of cleansers with different ingredients.

however, i don't think the same can happen with benzoyl peroxide. instead of benzoyl peroxide though, you may want to try some tea trea oil. studies have shown it has the same effects, but takes a little longer to produce them. it doesn't seem to be as irritating though, but to some it is initially. and you can go out in the sun and not have to worry about anyhting like you do sometimes with benzoyl peroxide nor do you have to worry about the chemical effects, potential or otherwise.

Old 02-16-2001, 06:31 AM   #4
    smiley

smiley HB User

Yes, I believe your skin can become immune (used to) to any kind of topical medication.
    My boyfriend has phoriasis and has to use medication but has to switch yo another one because after awhile it just has no affect on him anymore.
    So it is probably good to have two types of topical so you can switch on and of.

Old 02-16-2001, 06:46 AM   #5
    ~Cansu~

~Cansu~ HB User

Yes..The same thing happened to me..Last year salicyclic acid/ BP combination was working great for me..Now they seem to have no affect..

Closed Thread