It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

How Much is Dermabrasion?

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-25-2001, 07:08 PM   #1
bella01

bella01 HB User
How Much is Dermabrasion?

I'd like to hear from some people that had dermabrsion. How much did it cost? What is involved? Do you reccommend it? How long does it take to heal? Does it work on active acne and/or scars? Any info would be much appreciated. Please tell me what you think I should know. Oh yeah, has anyone ever been able to get insurance to pay for it? I have PCOS, which causes acne, and have been under treatment for it, until I got pregnant, and ALL HELL broke loose on my face.

Sincerely,
Bella

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-26-2001, 09:30 AM   #2
j1906

j1906 HB User
Re: How Much is Dermabrasion?

I'll have to get you the price information tomorrow when I dig through my receipts. But, here is my experience with dermabrasion.

There are two types: microdermabrasion and dermabrasion. I've had them both. Microdermabrasion does absolutely nothing for extreme raised or depressed scars. After, 3 treatments from a doctor that I no longer trust, I gave up on microdermabrasion. It only sands away surface skin cells and I'm sure he knew may scars were deeper. I gave him $80 each treatment.

Dermabrasion is much more serious. I went in to have the procedure done on my nose that had several noticable scars on it. Most of the scars came from acne 10yrs ago; some were the past 2yrs. The Doc. shot my nose full of anestetic. Then came the gross part. She took a wire wheel brush and stripped away skin and flesh until she got a smooth surface. I didn't feel a thing because of the drugs. After the procedure on a Friday, I took a week off of work because with heavy packing ,constant bandage changing, and cleaning blood. It would not have been good to go to work. Doctors recommend taking a week off. I had dermabrasion done 5 months ago and all the color has just come back. I have dark African American skin. So I looked like Rudolf for a while. After 1 week of healing I used Dermablend to cover it up though. I got the Dermablend from the cosmetic dept. in Hecht's . Sun light helps the repigmentation process.

So, am I satisfied? How did it turn out? I'm VERY satisfied with the results. The scars have been erased. It's not perfect, but it's like night and day. Some doctors only do microdermabrasion because dermabrasion is so much like surgery. I think I spent under $150 and insurance probably won't pay for it because it's considered cosmetic. Your PCOS may change that though.

Now, I know that pricing depends on size of the area to be worked on. The nose is a small area. The whole face is much larger. You can decrease cost by having patch areas done.

Old 03-26-2001, 01:50 PM   #3
jesseboy4u

jesseboy4u HB User

Finally! I've been to find posts from someone that has had dermabrasion. Thanks J1906 (and of course to bella01 for posing the question). I know the trend today is using lasers for facial scars and overall skin rejuvination but I have been advised by two different derms that because of my skin color (tan filipino) laser's would not be a good option for me. In addition, with my ice pick scarring I would probably have to go through two different procedures (punch excision, followed by dermabrasion) to get the best results.

J1906, couple questions relating to your experience.

Were you put on a topical lightening program prior to the procedure? If so what type and how long were you on it?

Were you advised by your surgeon that your skin may not revert back to it's original color? (In fact I've read that it may result in lighter skin compared to the non-dermabraded areas.)

Was your cover up successful in totally camoflauging the abraded area? How long did you wear make up? I don't know your gender so please pardon me if it sounds rather rude. I'm a typical guy who has no clue in applying make up or cover up for that matter, however, I'll do whatever's necessary to face the public.

After 5 months could you tell that you had something done to your nose in relation to the surrounding areas of your face that was not dermabraded?

You mentioned that "sunlight helps the repigmentation process." I have been told that after dermabrasion or lasers sun avoidance should be adhered to for at least 3 or 4 months. Tanning could result in hyperpigmentation of the affected area. On the other end of the spectrum, permanent lightening of the skin could result, but I guess in your case it didn't happen.

In my case, my scarring is mostly on my cheeks and I'm considering having my whole face so everything is even and there isn't really a marked difference between the non-dermabraded areas. Oh, BTW, Bella01, the last derm I saw gave me a $1800 estimate for the full face dermabrasion.

Hope to hear from anyone else w/ a dermabrasion experience or anyone with questions of their own.

Jesse

Old 03-26-2001, 03:03 PM   #4
bella01

bella01 HB User

Thanx J1906-
Your info was VERY helpful. I'm Italian, so I have an olive complexion and tan very easily in the summer, so I was concerened about hyperpigmintation. I usually scar dark, all that x-tra melanin, I guess. I can't wait to see my derm (appointment in 5 weeks). I feel better, armed with the info provided. Can't wait to find about about price. I'm having a baby any day now (due date yesterday), so cost is an issue, but it will be worth getting my self-esteem and face back!

Sincerely,
Bella <p>[This message has been edited by bella01 (edited 03-26-2001).]

Old 03-28-2001, 05:08 PM   #5
bella01

bella01 HB User

THANK YOU SOOOOOOOOO MUCH!!!! The "book" is definitely appreciated. It's nice to know someone takes their time to help others. I will e-mail you soon, can't wait to see the pictures. Dermablend is wonderful, I use it now. That's the only way I leave house, some days. It's been really hard having this severe acne through my pregnancy, nothing I can take, nothing I could do. I look forward to having my baby (due date was March 25th) so I can get the show on the road with my face. It's amazing how fragile ones self-esteem is when it comes to looks. Thanks again, you helped a great deal!!!

Sincerely,
Bella

Old 03-29-2001, 10:30 AM   #6
j1906

j1906 HB User

Bella,

No problem. Hey, good luck on your baby! Let us know how it goes.

Best Wishes!

Old 03-29-2001, 11:44 AM   #7
jesseboy4u

jesseboy4u HB User

Hey J1906 - Thanks as well. In fact I just sent you an email. You're probably be hearing more from me. LOL, that's what you get for putting your e-mail address out there. Take care bud.

Jesse

Closed Thread