It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• B5 doesn't work for hormonal acne?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-01-2001, 10:22 PM   #1
    ugly

ugly HB User
    B5 doesn't work for hormonal acne?

I was just reading through some old threads and found a msg where somebody stated B5 has no effect on hormonal acne. Is this true? Because I definitely have hormonal acne, and I've been taking B5 recently. If it's a waste of time, then please tell me, and I'll finally consider going on Diane 35.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-01-2001, 11:03 PM   #2
    Kala

Kala HB User
    Re: B5 doesn't work for hormonal acne?

okay well considering my aunt had bad acne and my mom had some acne i guess i have hormonal acne, and the b-5 DOES work for me, heres the thing if acne wasnt hormonal then wouldnt just using topical products clear up ones acne, i think in that case most people do have hormonal acne , but all that means is that your skin produces ore oil then someones elses, and b-5 main purpose is to produce less oil

Old 04-02-2001, 11:16 AM   #3
    ugly

ugly HB User

Great! Thanks Kala, that was all I need to hear. I'm definitely going to give B5 a shot then, because there's no way I want to go on antibiotics or the pill for life. I'm currently only taking 1-2g of it a day. I'd like to take 10g, but I bought the pills in 250mg form, and I always forget to take them during the day. By the way, how long have you been taking them, and do you see any vast improvement?

Old 04-02-2001, 02:01 PM   #4
    Aquareina

Aquareina HB User

I have hormonal acne and here are some signs to let you know if your acne is hormonal: irregular periods, premenstrual flare-ups, acne on your chin, jawline, neck, lower cheeks, adult (or women over age 20). With this type of acne usually antibiotics, topicals, etc don't work because you're not fighting the cause of the problem which is the hormones. Birth control pills help out with hormonal acne in that they balance your hormones and decrease your androgens(the hormone responsibile for acne). Hope the info helps!!

Old 04-02-2001, 02:18 PM   #5
    sillygirl
    (female)

sillygirl HB User

I've been on Desogen, and this is the start of my third month. I believe that I have hormonal acne. One thing I've noticed is that instead of getting two or three big cysts at any given time on my face, now I have 5 or 6 little bumps.

My complexion is basically going back to how it was right before Accutane. *sighs* Why do I have this feeling I'm going to be on another Accutane course before the year is over? My skin looks decent, but the oil and everything is already making a return....

*beats head on desk*

Give the B-5 a try. You might also want to switch your diet around. Lots of people have noticed that their complexion looks much better when they embark on a more "natural" diet. Eating lots of fruit, dark greens and veggies, and drinking lots of water. And cutting out the dairy. I read somewhere that Soy works as an anti-androgen. Saw Palmetto is also another supplement you might want to look into. I'm going to go get some with my next paycheck.

Best of luck to you! I'm going to stick with the Desogen and about 4 grams of B-5 a day for a few more months to see what happens. If all else fails, back to Accutane I go...

Old 04-02-2001, 02:19 PM   #6
    NancyL

NancyL HB User

I think that for hormonal acne, it's probably best to up the dosage during the luteal phase of your cycle (last two weeks before your period). That's when you'd be more apt to break out.

Leung's study states:

"What about premenstrual flare? In the luteal phase of the menstrual cycle, progesterone is secreted abundantly by the corpus lutcum. This naturally will take up alot of pantothenic acid from the body's pantothenic pool leading to a re-distribution of the vitamin and putting enormous pressure on fatty acid metabolism. When this metabolic process is not performing satisfactorily, lipid begins to accumulate in the sebaceous glands, an increase in sebum is excreted and acne follows. That is why even though progesterone has no effect on sebaceous gland activity, an increasing level of progesterone in the late stage of the luteal phase leaves the acne patient with a prominent flare."

Closed Thread