It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• my experience with retin a

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-01-2001, 04:14 PM   #1
    leroy

leroy HB User
    my experience with retin a

Just though I would share my experience with retin a which I stopped using about 4 weeks ago.

I used it exclusively every night and followed the directions and stayed totally out of the sun for that period of time. I used it only just to make sure if I knew it was working or not.

I started using it cause I read online that it makes your skin turn over faster and helps permanently change your pore structure. I actually had NO acne but had excess oil production and clogged nasty pores all around my nose and where it met my face. In the morning things could be tight with little trace of the problem but mid day they flare up so looking in the mirror is gross. just running my finger over my nose and goop would come out. But instead of using retin a on just my nose I used it all over my face just so things would be even and I thought if it flaked off older skin it could only do good for my complexion.

Basically a breakout period starts and for me a simple moisturizer could help with drying out. I used at night and left on and washed in morning. That part was doable but it makes your skin thinner so you have to watch picking! It brought breakouts in a steady flow for the whole time I used it! But literally a big fat zit could be popped and gone with no trace in like 2 weeks!

it also made my skin redder although it didn't hurt or anything at any time. Going out in the sun is a no no and I could feel the heat on my skin if I were to even walk out front.

Anyways I stopped using it after like 4 months cause I figured that was enough time and don't think it got to the root of my problem. My problem with the pores is actually worse and am not sure if retin a needs some time to get out of my system but now im just using proactiv to see if things will settle down and if benzoyl will allow me to maintain my previous acne free face.

My breakouts were all from eye level up which is wierd but I wish I had never taken retin a. This stuff is so confusing cause you read what something should do and their is so many sales pitches making things sound good. If clogged pores and acne is about dirt the places that say stopping oil production from the inside out sure makes sense? but then we have all these topicals that doctors promote also that are supposed to help with these problems but I think they do for some and not for others?

anyways proactiv says their system helps heal things and prevents new breakouts and blackheads. I only used them for their money back guarantee and am sticking with it for now and trying not to poke my nose but I have literally ripped the skin off a few times pushing the goop out of my enlarged pores. its so crazy to have it be fine in the am then turn to hell at night. I don't go out cause of that and think I'll be looked down upon as a diseased freak. I feel really dumb cause I never even once had these issues before and IMm 25yrs old. its like night and day noticing that kind of problem.

anyways just wanted to share my experience with retin a. After reading around here I also humble myself because I don't have it as bad as allot of you and wish you the best.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-03-2001, 06:28 AM   #2
    soulman

soulman HB User
    Re: my experience with retin a

Did u ever go out in the sun at all. Because I started Retin-A recently and I usually wants to get some sun as well. Not tanning, just a bit of sun. I been doing it without getting sunburn partly due to the sunscreen. Are you fair, medium or dark? And how much Retin-A did u put on?

Old 06-03-2001, 08:23 AM   #3
    Cenox
    Inactive

Cenox HB User

retin-A (isotretinoin) never helped me. Seems like almost everyone hates that drug. Try Benzoyl 5% instead. It has cleared up many people with mild/moderate acne.

Old 06-03-2001, 09:57 AM   #4
    BOOKWORM87

BOOKWORM87 HB User

My doctor told me when the new skin comes up it is very sensitive to sun he advised me to use sun tan lotion whenever needed

Old 06-04-2001, 04:21 PM   #5
    Sonik417

Sonik417 HB User

Are you talking about Retin-A or Retin-A Micro? I'm using Retin-A Micro, and with sunscreen on my face, it seems to be fine. Just wondering..

Old 06-04-2001, 04:57 PM   #6
    Randy

Randy HB User

I'm using retin a (tretinoin .025%) and am going to switch to retin a micro. Is the micro good for acne scars, what I mean is, does it help the collagen regenerate under the skin?

Old 06-04-2001, 08:46 PM   #7
    Toxxik

Toxxik HB User

Cenox retin-a is not isotretinoin. Isotretinoin is accutane and there's a very big difference between the two. The most obvious being that the fore is topical, and the latter is systemic.

Old 06-05-2001, 01:44 AM   #8
    Pris

Pris HB User

I only have the best things to say about Retin-A. I've been on Retin-A (0.05%) for almost 4 months now, and aside for the minor breakout that I got when I first started on Retin-A, I've been acne free ever since. Retin-A is also helping to fade my scars, and that's why I will continue to use it religiously every night. I think what made the difference for me is that I went on minocycline for a month or so before going on the Retin-A. So the mino actually dried up my cysts and acne before the Retin-A began to do its work. But I know that Retin-A is different for everyone, but I'm sure that there is something out there that works for you.

Closed Thread