It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• Hormonal Imbalance? -Please help 21yr old female.

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-04-2001, 09:53 PM   #1
    Chickey

Chickey HB User
    Hormonal Imbalance? -Please help 21yr old female.

Hi guys, i'm new to this board. I have been suffering from acne ever since i was 13. As a teenager i used to get it on my upper chin and upper lip area, that has all cleared up now. Last year, the acne started changing areas-Now it is located on my cheeks and lower chin and jaw. I have been to the Derm and he prescribed me Oral Tetracycline(500mg/day) and Topical Erythromycin. It did help, but i noticed that EVERY month, 2 weeks before my period, i would breakout in 3 big bad zits. I stopped taking the oral antibiotics 2 weeks ago because of some bad side effects and began using Differin Gel which is breaking me out worse then ever. Anyway, i'm thinking that my acne may be due to hormonal imbalances. My mom said she had bad acne until she had was pregnant then it all went away. Also, i have excess facial hair and body hair which i hear may be due to an over abundance of androgens. So, i was wondering, what everyone here might think my acne is caused by? Any advice?
    Do you think that i could still "grow out" of it even though im 21?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-04-2001, 11:29 PM   #2
    magpie

magpie HB User
    Re: Hormonal Imbalance? -Please help 21yr old female.

Hi,

I felt compelled to reply to your post despite the fact that I don't know for sure that it is a hormonal imbalance that your suffering from-- although it sure sounds like it could be that. I'm also a 21 yr old female and have suffered from acne since I was 12. I broke out just about everywhere, though. I've always felt I had excessive facial hair, as well. Last August I started taking Diane-35 and my face has cleared up almost entirely (I still get the occasional zit-- although they're more like little bumps than actual zits). Diane-35 is an androgen-blocker, so I assume that all along I was suffering from a hormonal imbalance. So, I just wanted to suggest that if you haven't heard of it or already tried it before, you may want to ask your derm about Diane or do a little research on it...it's really helped me out. The catch is that, as far as I know, Diane isn't available in the U.S. so you have to order it from foreign pharmacies. Good luck with whatever you choose!

Old 04-05-2001, 01:59 AM   #3
    Bella2001

Bella2001 HB User

Hi Chickey! YES, yes, yes....I strongly believe that it IS hormonal. You might want to look at the discussion thread titled, TO WOMEN WITH ACNE. If there is a definite pattern to your acne (it sounds like you are breaking out during ovulation every month) and especially if you have excessive hair, then I truly believe birth control pills will help you. In the thread above, a lot of women list some good bcp's to look into. I had acne for years before I finally went on Orthocyclen and my acne cleared up in a few months. I really think if you look into going on the bcp, you may find a remedy to your acne. Good luck! bella

Old 04-05-2001, 01:25 PM   #4
    Aquareina

Aquareina HB User

You definitely sound like you have hormonal acne. You should at least try out birth control pills, it sounds like it could help you out a lot. I've been battling acne off and on for 10 years and when I went on birth control pills my skin cleared up completely. My mom also told me that when she was a teenager that she had bad acne and that hers didn't clear up until she got preganant with her first child. Good Luck with whatever you decide!!

Old 04-05-2001, 06:25 PM   #5
    Chickey

Chickey HB User

Thanks so much you guys. I have a doctors appointment in two weeks, so i'm definitely going to mention it to him. BCP's are definitely a good option right now.
    I feel a lot better after reading your replies, thanks again!

Closed Thread