It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

Topical treatment - qs about how to apply effectively ??

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-22-2001, 01:42 PM   #1
Ed999

Ed999 HB User
Topical treatment - qs about how to apply effectively ??

with topical treatment for eg differin how much should u use for the face and neck and how long does it usually take to see some effect? i am not sure whether i am applying it correctly sounds silly but i'm serious too much = too nuch redness too little = little effect?? i heard that combination treatment is best ie using something for inflammatory lesions and something for non-inflammatory lesions what do u think?

thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-22-2001, 02:19 PM   #2
Matt99

Matt99 HB User
Re: Topical treatment - qs about how to apply effectively ??

My experience is that applying excess creme is just a waste of money. You will get the same effect by just applying a thin film. All the Differin gel does is open the pores and remove dead cells. It can do this with just a thin film. By applying excess gel, you will probably just irritate and dry out your skin which can lead to even more break outs because their are more cracks for bacteria to get into.

Old 03-22-2001, 02:37 PM   #3
Matt99

Matt99 HB User

I know that I am just a new guy; however, I have went the rounds with acne and have finally kept it under control. I started out 5 years ago with moderate breaksouts of just pimples. I used a combination of Benzamycin and Retin-A to combat this with much success. My acne became cystic the next year and I started Accutane. I have been on two rounds of Accutane. This has helped me fairly; however, I still have to deal with acne. It seems as if I would clear up for about 6 months after Accutane and then it would gradually come back. This last time I asked to be prescribed Differin as soon as I quit Accutane. I think it has helped to maintain my clearer complexion. I occasionally have bad break outs, but for the most part keep it under control. I have found that the most important thing I can do is to not irritate my skin. I wash with Cetaphil cleanser and use no other medications on my skin besides Differin at night. If I use a harsh cleanser on my skin that drys it out, the next day I will almost guaranteed wake up broken out. Just use your medication and don't touch it or worry about it. And don't pick. Remembering these things has helped me tremendously. Besides Differin, I have also been on Cleocin-T, various antibiotics, Erythromycin (topical), plus accutane like I said earlier. I feel like I could almost be my own Dermatologist (jk). To everyone that suffers, just remember to keep your head up and you aren't alone.

Old 03-22-2001, 03:44 PM   #4
Ed999

Ed999 HB User

matt99 we are in the same situation i've had 2 goes of accutane and my skin cleared up well but now the acnes coming i hope the differin will kick in soon cos my face is just filling up with red marks and whiteheads. i was just wondering after accutane what type of spots are u getting?? do u require a moisturiser after u wash in the morning if so what do u use?? what do u do about the blemishes?

Closed Thread