It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• Hormonal acne& accutane?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-18-2002, 05:26 PM   #1
    20withacne
    (female)

20withacne HB User
    Hormonal acne& accutane?

Hi,
    I think I have hormonal acne and am about to start accutane in 3 weeks...
    does accutane work for this kind of acne as well?

thanks,20

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-18-2002, 05:39 PM   #2
    16YearsOldLooking4TheCure

16YearsOldLooking4TheCure HB User
    Re: Hormonal acne& accutane?

3 weeks?? they did the same thing to me... did you go there asking for ACCUTANE but then they made you go on some other pill for 3 weeks because they said they have to do that first??? thats what they told me..... But it's almost done.. Only till the 29th then i can finally start ACCUTANE and get it over with and have a clear life.. I CANT WAIT...

Old 09-18-2002, 05:41 PM   #3
    20withacne
    (female)

20withacne HB User

I have to wait 3 weeks until I get my period so I can take at least one negative preganancy test. What kind of acne do you have?? I am also very excited about getting clear. Are you m/f?

Old 09-18-2002, 05:49 PM   #4

male, I dont know what kind i have I just want to get rid of it.... Sometimes I just try to forget abou it while im at school and all... it helps somewhat . but doesnt chage that its still there... But ti helpe me a lil..... anyway i cant wait to start it. i know its gonna be hell and i hope i dont have a bad initial breakout.. but i had a really bad one a week ago for for about 5 days of having it really bad.. about a total of 20 or more spread out on cheeks and around chin aread and some on upper lip. mostly just where I shave.... So if i got through that, (barley) then I can get through the ACCUTANE breakout.. I just cant wait till around new years when It should be looking really good..then i gotta deal with the old red marks.. which i have alot cuz almost 85% of my acne are whiteheads that get HUGE unless i pop in a day or less. I know i shouldnt but my face is already messed up so I dont want big white things all over some as big or bigger as a BB-Gun BB. So i pop some... But i just cant wait until my actually acne is gone, the red marks i could care less. They will eventuall. But this acne sucks.... I have to go get high to get away fom it all. I tried to cut back on the weed only on fridays now instead of every other day or more... I know its not BAD of for my acne.. But it cant HELP...I dont know theres too much goin on. Im just enjoying my day off of school sicne I have a major cold/throat thign goin on...... Im talkin to much...Im done now

Old 09-18-2002, 05:51 PM   #5

oh yeah, my acne is persistant to. I dont have "break outs" I always have 10 or more mostly everywhere where i shave... My breakouts are just when it gets worse then it already is . Im basically never clear.. I had one days where 1 side of my face was like 95% clear but it only lasted one day.... Anyway....just letting u know..

Old 09-18-2002, 05:53 PM   #6

OOPS NEVERMIND.. my bad breakout last week must of been 25-30.; cuz right now i counted and overall of whiteheads, red ones, etc.. i have 20 or more... this is how it ALWAYS is.... Soemtimes I use DOVE Unscented to dry it out and make the red blend it and make it look better unless your up close and see how dry it is...anyway again..lol..

Old 09-18-2002, 06:03 PM   #7
    sunshin919

sunshin919 HB User

To answer your question, vitamin A (and that is what Accutane is) has absolutely nothing to do with stabilizing hormones. I think that is why there are so many people who go on Accutane and their acne comes back. In addition, I know women who took Accutane for their acne as well as something to treat the hormonal imbalance. Accutane may take care of one cause but a hormonal treatment may be necessary as well.

Old 09-18-2002, 06:18 PM   #8
    20withacne
    (female)

20withacne HB User

16-
    be sure not to smoke weed while taking accutane- i read on one of the threads that smoking while on accutane will cause the drug not to work.

sunshin-
    thanks! i am not sure if it is hormonal or not- should i ask my derm? or how would i know?

Old 09-18-2002, 06:41 PM   #9
    sunshin919

sunshin919 HB User

20withacne-

You may be able to detect a hormonal imbalance via blood tests...test for amount of androgens (the male hormone that actually causes acne in many women) in your body. However, many times hormone tests do not detect an "imbalance"...don't ask me why, that's just how it is. Going a BCP with anti-androgens like Yasmin or Diane 35 may help hormonal acne a great deal. Or, if you find a derm out there willing to prescribe an anti-androgen simply for acne, you can try that. If you are a woman and going on Accutane it is usually advised to go on the BCP so I would suggest going on one of the two, Yasmin if you live in the U.S. since Diane 35 is not available here in the States. Good luck with whatever you choose!

Old 09-18-2002, 07:27 PM   #10

Thanks, I didnt know that.. I heard that I might not be good because ACCUTANE is a depresent, and weed can be a depresent drug... So i better get it outta my system and smok out before next week... DAMN! Anyway..you now how you have to get blood work b4 your start ACCUTANE..... I have to get mine this monday... Do you think if I had smoked the friday before which is this friday... that the weed will show up in blood work??? Or does that not even matter with the type of blood work they do....my friend said it should be fine since its not a quote DRUG TEST..... but i dont want to take a chance since my mom will be with me at the doctors with me to get the test... I dont want them to give the results and be like" ok your liver is fine, good condition you should be OK for Accutane, However it shows that marijuana is present in your system""" that would suck..... So my question is, if you know.... or think you know..... "Even though it would be in my system, Would the type of blood work they do show that it's in there?" Basically I dont want me mom or dad to find out cuz then its the END!!!! LOL.

Old 09-18-2002, 07:30 PM   #11
    Achtungbabe

Achtungbabe HB User

Accutane is not a depressant. I has allegedly caused depression in a small minority of users, but it is misleading to say it is a depressant, such as alcohol is, for instance.

Old 09-18-2002, 07:33 PM   #12
    20withacne
    (female)

20withacne HB User

Sunshin,
    I am taking Ortho tru Cyclin- is this BCP an anti-androgen? Thanks a mil!

Old 09-18-2002, 07:35 PM   #13
    Thathi

Thathi HB User

Small minority???? Ummm, NO!

Hey 16...
    The weed is in your blood system, as you said, but your friend is probably correct. They should not be testing for drugs and will not say anything about it. This is only a test on your liver and other parts.

Sunshin-what's a guy to do about hormonal acne?<p>[This message has been edited by Thathi (edited 09-18-2002).]

Old 09-18-2002, 07:36 PM   #14

thanks, I heard it was a depresent somewhere.. Nice to know now... So would weed be OK during accutane if i only did it every friday...once a week??? I will do whateve it takes for accutane to work.. but i figured since its so STRONG it will work no matter what...Let me know if you know..thanks

Old 09-18-2002, 07:38 PM   #15

thanks..... THATHI.... Im gonna trust and hope you and my friend were right.. I just wanted to make sure cuz its not worth it to get in trouble..... anyway... do you think it will affect how ACCUTANE works if I smoke it once a week????

Closed Thread