It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• uneven skin, scars & red marks

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-06-2002, 10:18 AM   #1
    random_guy

random_guy HB User
    uneven skin, scars & red marks

Hi everyone
    Here is my problem. I just finished a six month course of accutane ( only 40mg/day because I weigh only about 65 kg ) and I'm almost clear of active acne. But this doesn't mean I look good these days. Actually, the opposite is true: my face looks awful ! You see, my skin is like ultra fragile and sensitive so every zit and cyst leaves a permanent scar (ice pick or pit type) or a red mark that takes ages to heal (I still have a bunch of red marks from cysts and zits that healed over six months ago!). My skin is also pretty pale by nature and that means all the red marks and little scars are more visible than usually.
    So right now my face is a huge mess of scars, red marks and enlargened pores. I desperately need something to make my skin look more even! I also have these annoying white-headed things (mostly on upper cheeks and near my eyes) and have no idea how to get rid of them.

So what I am asking you guys is to share your knowledge if you can happen to know anything about my problem. So if you have a simiar problem or know a good lotion or cream or whatever that would help with the scars, red marks or the weird whiteheads, feel free to reply. Also, if you know something about the scar brushing people have talked about here ( I'd like to try it but I ain't sure how to do it properly), I'd love to hear from you.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. Hope to hear from you soon.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-06-2002, 11:26 AM   #2
    ephex

ephex HB User
    Re: uneven skin, scars & red marks

glycolic acid peels work for me...you can go with kojic acid or hydroquinone or you might want to try out proactivs skin lightening lotion i hear a lot of good things about it for scars

Old 06-06-2002, 03:41 PM   #3
    FelineSin1

FelineSin1 HB User

Hi!
    glycolic acid peels are great for uneven skin, rough texture, red marks. I really suggest you try sageskincare's 40% - 70% At home peels. I know many ladies on their forums who had pitting and after some months or so they said they can barely see it. I am currently using 12% cream (it contains glycolic acid, salicylic, vitamin c) and have seen great results on my former big pores, 'hill-y' skin, red marks and etc. Glycolic acid exfoliates dead skin cells and over time will reveal the smooth, fresh skin underneath. While Vitamin c helps in the formation of collagen -our structural skin fibers. SAge actually has 20% smoothing gel/cream! It's a much higher concentration that what you can buy on the drugstore. I've tried many AHA's and i have to say their line is the best yet. hope his helps!

Old 06-07-2002, 11:31 AM   #4
    random_guy

random_guy HB User

thanks for replying ephex & FelineSin1!

I'll probably try the glycolic acid peels you suggested...but are you sure they aren't too rough on my skin? I had some acid peeling thing done last winter by a derm and after that my face was red and irritated for like two weeks! Not sure if they're same thing though (the thing and glycolic acid peels). And what about the prices? Are the peels expensive?

Old 06-07-2002, 09:23 PM   #5
    willowtree

willowtree HB User

Hydroquinone is awesome for scars and hyperpigmentation. It's NOT great for acne, unfortunately. (It's in an oily base quite often.) But it might be worth trying for scars/hyperpig. If you use it religiously for a couple weeks you should see improvement. Ask your derm for a prescription; the low % creams in drugstores are worthless.

good luck,
    willow

Old 06-08-2002, 10:18 AM   #6
    stillmatic586
    Inactive

stillmatic586 HB User

If you used the glycolic at home peel and you have a tan/brown color will it leave my skin uneven and lighter in some areas im 15 and wonering should use it or not due to my age and color.

Old 06-08-2002, 08:52 PM   #7
    KC Lee

KC Lee HB User

I agree that SAGE products ROCK!!! But, if you are going to use their products, DON'T FORGET SUNSCREEN!!! Daily sunscreen use will help the marks fade a lot faster. I have been using SAGE for only 2 1/2 weeks and my face looks at least 50% better!!! Good Luck to you!

Old 06-08-2002, 09:28 PM   #8
    q-tip2

q-tip2 HB User

glycolic peels? No way... they recommend you dont do any of those things (glycolic peels, microderm) for bout a year after accutane... or you'll screw your skin up good

Old 06-08-2002, 09:47 PM   #9
    KC Lee

KC Lee HB User

Q-Tip is right. You should not get microdermabrasion or peels right after Accutane. I think a daily product that contains Glycolic might be OK. Ask your derm first!

Old 06-08-2002, 11:48 PM   #10
    FelineSin1

FelineSin1 HB User

I've been on accutane before and i actually had microdermabrasion three weeks after my treatment. After accutane my skin was pretty dry but not broken, very healthy and glowing actually. I also remember using a AHA wash very like sage's - recommended by my derm.
    Anyway, like i said, sage's smoothing products are loaded with moisturizer, but to be on the safe side, you might want to wait some months before trying Aha. I guess everybody have to estimate their skin's limitation before trying a new product.

Old 06-09-2002, 09:35 AM   #11
    sunflowerpower1

sunflowerpower1 HB User

felinesin

did you like the micro.??? what did it do, and how much did it cost. was it worth it????

Old 06-09-2002, 11:06 AM   #12
    furlongfanatic

furlongfanatic HB User

after you are done with accutane, could you do those masks and then also, after, put on the hydroquinone?

Old 06-09-2002, 11:24 AM   #13
    KC Lee

KC Lee HB User

I'm pretty sure you can. It's just that peels and microdermabrasion really exfoliate your skin. Accutane thins your skin and makes your skin very fragile. The effects do not go away immediatley after you stop the Accutane. So, it would be wise to wait a few months after you stop to use a deep exfoliator like that. I remember my derm telling me to wait 6 months to 1 year to get microdermabrasion after Accutane. I don't see how masks or glycolic washes would do any harm but, ask your derm!

Closed Thread