It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• Hard Water at home...causing acne?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-01-2002, 08:53 AM   #1
    Forcefed4

Forcefed4 HB User
    Hard Water at home...causing acne?

I was thinking about when my acne first started to surface (at the age of 26), and it was right about the same time that I moved into an apartment that was in the middle of farmland (don't laugh).

Of course, the house is supplied with well water, and the water is very 'hard'. It leaves scum on glasses even after they are washed, and it's hard to lather up soap.

Then I heard that hard water can mix with soaps and cause the soaps to stay on skin, and clog pores to cause acne! Hard water also causes dry skin, and my skin has been VERY dry all over my body since I moved to the new place a few years ago.

What can I do to combat this? Besides a $5000 treatment system (which I won't do at my temporary place), what options do I have? My wife and I are building a house right down the street from where we live now, so I will continue to be using well water (tho we will have some type of treatment system, the water is still hard water).

Should I use a special soap? Or no soap at all? I am trying to now just use a little Baking Soda and water in the morning to wash my face gently, and only water the rest of the day. Is this a bad idea?

Here is something I read online about hard water:

"That same curd causes your hair to become dull and hard to manage. Soap curd clogs skin pores and prevents your natural oils from moisturizing your skin. This dryness causes itching and also aggravates skin conditions like psoriasis, eczema and acne. Soap curd is especially noticeable by the scummy film it forms on dishes and glassware."

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-01-2002, 09:40 AM   #2
    cheyanna2

cheyanna2 HB User
    Re: Hard Water at home...causing acne?

I have often wondered if my hard water was adding to my acne. We lived in Germany for 2 years with very hard water and my acne was the worst. I am wondering if I should start washing my face with my purified drinking water( I use one of the refillable water pitcher like Brita or Pur). I also saw on the internet that you can buy shower heads that purify the water. They are made especially for people with throat cancer and other illnesses that can't use regular water. That would be a lot cheaper to try, plus you can take it with you when you move.

Old 10-01-2002, 12:28 PM   #3
    vitamin_man

vitamin_man HB User

Yes hard water can add to your skin problems and also chlorine..Hopefully in your new home you can install a water softener at your water line...but for now i would get a shower filter, not as good as a water softener but its better then nothing.
    Just type "shower filter" in google and you can order one online. Costs around 40 bucks.

Old 10-02-2002, 07:32 AM   #4
    Beaner02

Beaner02 HB User

I live out in the country also and we have hard water, but we do have a softener, but when my dad doesnt go and get salt to put in it the water gets very hard and i notice that my acne gets worse and even my face texture and color. Now I have a Nikken shower filter that I bought from a distributor and I think it helps a lot, becuase if my dad does forget to get salt I have it there as a backup to keep the rust and chlorine out.

Closed Thread