It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• Small indented scars

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-04-2002, 09:18 PM   #1
    AngelaMDarling

AngelaMDarling HB User
    Small indented scars

I have a few of those intended scars that you can see If I stand under a light or in the sun...what can I do about them that won't ruin/burn/trash my skin?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-05-2002, 05:18 PM   #2
    blueeyedbia
    Inactive

blueeyedbia HB User
    Re: Small indented scars

I think surgery is the only thing you can do for indented scars.

Old 11-05-2002, 07:24 PM   #3
    AngelaMDarling

AngelaMDarling HB User

For small barely visible scars?

Old 11-05-2002, 07:51 PM   #4
    blueeyedbia
    Inactive

blueeyedbia HB User

I think there is a needle surgery coming out that is supposed to help indented scars. It is like tatoo needling.

Old 11-06-2002, 01:01 AM   #5
    ceven
    Inactive

ceven HB User

try a cream which contains GLYCOLIC ACID...

at the moment i am using MAYERLING....

and it seems to be working

Old 11-06-2002, 08:22 AM   #6
    BarBQLover

BarBQLover HB User

I have plenty of small, indented scars....I don't think there is a millimeter of smooth skin on the middle of my forehead. I came to the realization of how bad my problem really is, so I have taken it upon myself the last 6 months to try to fix my scars at the expense of a job, friends, and general happiness.

Anywho, I tried Sycream and that definitely doesn't work. Don't bother with any topical creams like Mederma or Elicina because I really believe those are just a placebo or help for VERY minor scars.

I've moved on to copper peptides from Skin Biology, and this definitely seems more promising than any other option, since laser both scares me and is out of the question financially at this time for me. However, copper peptides won't do it alone. You need to exfoliate the skin with hydroxy acids in order to work away at the scar tissue. I'm using the Exfol serum from Skin Biology to do this, but is also suggested that you move into stronger glycolic peels for it to be even more effective. The hope is that the copper peptides rebuild the collagen, and the doctor from Skin Bio claims that you do this long enough, the scar will go away.

I really hope this works, even though I have to admit patience and not getting depressed are my biggest problems. I've only been doing this for almost 2 weeks now, and regret that I wasted 5 months with Sycream when I could have possibly seen some good results with Skin Bio by this time. But you live and learn.....

Old 11-06-2002, 10:41 AM   #7
    AngelaMDarling

AngelaMDarling HB User

Thanks BBQLover...when you say exfoliate I picture myself scrubbing at the scars, is this true? nd if so, with a AHA cream?

Old 11-06-2002, 12:48 PM   #8
    BarBQLover

BarBQLover HB User

Oh no, I have never tried scrubbing my scars and never intend to. Exfoliation is really just the removal of the outermost layer of skin and that's where the hydroxy acid comes into play. I'm using Exfol serum from Skin Biology during the day and this is 2% salicylic acid. It is intended to help smooth out the skin and undo the scar tissue, which is necessary before you can rebuild the skin. I have noticed a remarkable difference in smoothness of my skin and the appearnace of my scars, especially the ones of my forehead with the serum.

I've also just started using a 30% glycolic peel once a week to maybe hasten this whole damn excruciatingly long process! This was suggested to me since the Exfol serum might not work fast enough or good enough. You can find plenty of good home peels over the Internet, but make sure you ask questions and get good feedback before you buy one. The glycolic peels I get are highly buffered and I don't even notice a difference after I do one, except for a possible and very slight stinging sensation and some very mild peeling the next day. I've only done 1, but the woman I do business with says it will take about 2 months to see any real improvement (this could be just from the peel alone, though). If need be, I can move up to higher concentration peels, but the higher the concentration, the more possibility for side effects. However, I think my skin is pretty resilient, so I might move up to that.

At night, I put on Retin-A, followed by the copper peptides. I don't think Retin-A is a great scar treatment except when it leads to excessive peeling, which it doesn't for me since I only have the .025% concentration. It also has been shown to lead to the formation of the scar-producing substance, TGK-Beta, or something like that. But, I still need it for my acne, and hopefully the combination of the two can get some serious collagen rebuilding!

Oh, I've also switched to Purpose cleansing bar as my soap and it has seemed to help....I was using Oil of Olay's bar soaps for some reason for a few years, and I really needed to switch. Plus, being a guy, it seemed to lead to ingrown hairs and my face being TOO soft....my face is a little dry, but it actually looks a lot better.

Hydroxy creams I have never tried, but could be worth a shot. However, AHA's (glycolics) have been shown to possibly change skin DNA, so BHA's have become more accepted. I say if you want to apply a topical to your face all day, go with BHA's, commonly known as salicylic acid. Stick with AHA's for stronger peels, but there's no one way to do it.

Hope that helps and feel free to ask any questions. I'm trying to find the answers myself, you know!

Closed Thread