It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

Dr. Hauschke

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-11-2002, 08:36 PM   #1
CottonCandy

CottonCandy HB User
Dr. Hauschke

Has anybody used any of Dr. Hauschke's products? I saw them at Whole Foods market and they looked pretty good. I was interested in the facial steam and the clay mask but if anyone has tried any of the products please post! Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-11-2002, 09:06 PM   #2
jad211

jad211 HB User
Re: Dr. Hauschke

I would strongly advise you to read a review of Dr. Hauschka's products. Since we're not allowed to post links here, I will cut and paste it. I hope this is allowed...if not, I apologize!
--------------------------------------
Dr. Hauschka Skincare

report by Deanna of the Cosmetic Connection Product Panel

My friend, Elaine, is the person who introduced me to Dr. Hauschka Skincare. Elaine has cystic acne and was getting married. She felt she had tried everything then, she read about Dr. Hauschka. She called me to see if I knew where to get the products. (Of course I did!) She bought the products and started using them. Dr. Hauschka skin care is made in Germany and has been around since 1967. The company stresses a "balanced, holistic approach to skin care", using "biodynamic and organically grown ingredients". There are some changes in the application process of these products, for instance, the company indicates that "rolling, pressing and massaging" should be used versus regular "swiping and wiping" techniques with which we are all more familiar. Oily or "impure skin" should be treated with each of the cleansing products for about 3-5 minutes. I saw Elaine about 6 weeks later - we were picking out the makeup that she would wear for the wedding, and her skin looked great! We were both very excited! So, because I suffer from mild to moderate acne, and was looking for something to help out my "aging" skin, I rushed to buy this skincare line. I used this skincare program for about 3 months, and here's what I found.

Cleansing Milk ($22.95 for 5.1fl oz.)
This is a non-lathering cleanser. It has a fairly thin, mildly oily consistency. It smells nice and removes makeup, including regular formulations of mascara fairly well. (I found two applications of this product worked best.) This is one of the products that should be "rolled and pressed" into the skin. Personally, I didn't feel "clean" when I used this product. When I consulted the sales associate on this matter, she said that it was because the cleanser "left the acid mantle of the skin intact, and using other products stripped the skin," which seemed to make sense at the time. When I consulted the ingredients list, I noticed that the product contained a great many oils, in several forms, including jojoba oil, sweet almond oil, rice germ oil, glycerin and lecithin. It also contains water (first ingredient), alcohol (second ingredient), and bentonite (clay). It is my understanding that all of these oils are supposed to be good for the skin, but, seeing these ingredients, I realized why I didn't feel clean; however, I pressed on with the program.

Cleansing Cream ($15.95 for 1.7oz.)
This is an exfoliating scrub. The primary exfoliant is sweet almond meal paste. This is another product that should be "rolled and pressed" over the skin for 3-5 minutes, if you're oily. This product, too, contains a great many oils, namely peanut oil, wheat germ oil and sweet almond oil. It also contains alcohol, witch hazel, St. John's Wort extract and a number of other essential oils. Again, with this product, I didn't feel "clean," and quite frankly, I was getting a little tired of massaging my face. Also, for the price, I didn't think this was a good value. This 1.7oz size goes pretty quickly when you're using about 2 inches of it on the face, twice a day, however, it does gently remove any traces of makeup and dry skin from the face and hands.

Clarifying Toner ($22.95 for 3.4fl oz.)
I have said on many occasions that I am not a "toner person." However, use of this toner was recommended to me as part of the overall program. This toner contains water, alcohol, witch hazel and a number of floral extracts. I was hoping that using this toner would help me relieve the "unclean" feeling on my face, but it didn't. It is refreshing, if stored in the refrigerator, but that's about it.

Normalizing Day Oil ($23.50 for 1.0fl oz.)
Quite frankly, I thought the addition of more oil to my face was a bit "hokey." However, the sales associate convinced me that adding oil to my face would "train my face to stop producing excess oil, as it would realize that there was oil already on my face." On the positive side: this little bottle will last a long time, as you only need about three drops to cover the face and neck. On the negative side, while using this oil, I had a great deal of trouble getting my makeup to "stay put", even when using the "stay put" varieties. Since I absolutely refuse to go without anything on my face, I bought the Dr. Hauschka Translucent Bronze Concentrate.

Translucent Bronze Concentrate ($21.95 for 1.0fl oz.)
This is a sheer bronzer designed to be mixed with the oil or (any other moisturizer) for a sheer, healthy glow. It contains water, olive oil, alcohol, witch hazel, lecithin, beeswax, algin, cetearyl alcohol, chlorophyllin-copper-complex (this is supposed to be plant extracted chlorophyll and copper) and iron oxides. It did give a sheer bronze look to my skin, however, I personally found that this product was simply too dark and too orange, no matter how little I used. I did continue to use the product because it was the only "foundation" I could get to stay on my face and because it was "part of the program."

Rejuvenating Mask ($29.95 for 1.1fl oz.)
This mask is designed to "smooth and invigorate the skin." It contains water, alcohol, wheat germ oil, borage oil, cetearyl alcohol, rice germ oil, jojoba oil, peanut oil, bentonite clay, lecithin and several plant extracts and essential oils. Personally, I thought it was a little pricey; there are only about 10 treatments per tube. I did not notice any remarkable different in the texture or tone of my skin when using the product (about once a week for three months).

The sales associate asked me to try the Facial Steam Bath and the Cleansing Clay Mask, which I did, however, I found both of these products to be unremarkable. The Steam Bath is essentially a concentrate made from plant extracts, water, alcohol and witch hazel. It is added to the hot water, then you steam your face. Personally, I didn't like the smell. The Clay mask is made from clay, witch hazel, cornstarch and plant extracts.

My overall opinion of this skincare line is not positive. While using this skincare line, and I used it for three months, I suffered through the worst acne of my life. The entire program does emphasize gentle cleaning and skin care techniques, which are important. At best, I saw some softening of the fine lines in my face. Most of the products do smell pleasantly. I cannot say that this skincare system doesn't work, since my friend Elaine's skin has never looked better. I did speak with the sales associate concerning my breakouts and she "pooh-poohed" me, telling me that my skin was just "detoxifying itself." Well, either my skin is a toxic waste dump, or these products just didn't work for me, which is more probable. In my opinion, there is just too much oil in each of these products for my type of skin.

-----------------------------------

Not that it won't work for you since everyone's skin is different, but it really does sound pretty yucky. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news...I hate when I get psyched about a new product only to learn it doesn't work.

Old 03-12-2002, 08:55 PM   #3
CottonCandy

CottonCandy HB User
Re: Dr. Hauschke

Thanks for Sharing!! haha...guess i won't be buying any of those products! Has anyone tried a mask that cleans out your pores really well!? A clay one or anyone at all? And before i put on this mask that i'm going to buy, which i haven't found one to buy yet haha, i'm going to steam my face with these herbs that come in a glass bottle at whole foods. I am hoping it will just clean out my pores. I don't really have a lot of acne, just some black heads here and there and a few whiteheads.

Closed Thread