It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• evening primrose

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-04-2002, 03:27 AM   #1
    ~Laurie~
    Inactive

~Laurie~ HB User
    evening primrose

Has anyone tried evening primrose supplements?? I heard that they maintain a good hormone balance and help to keep skin healthy. I want to buy some but they are very expensive and I am not sure if they will work. Thank-you

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-04-2002, 03:35 AM   #2
    slickchick

slickchick HB User
    Re: evening primrose

Be careful with these. They made my acne worse. It does help some people but it can also bring out spots in others.

Old 11-04-2002, 07:49 AM   #3
    Catherine21
    (female)

Catherine21 HB User

My gynecologist told me to use Evening Primrose Oil for breast pain, and my face broke out in bright red cysts for the first time in my life. I looked like I had the chicken pox. Of course, I was using it along with Vitamin E, and maybe it was the combination that caused the problem. But there's no way I would try that stuff again.

Old 11-04-2002, 10:13 AM   #4
    Jen23

Jen23 HB User

The thing with evening primrose oil is that it can benefit some people that have a GLA deficiency but it will make matters worst for people who have an omega 3 deficiency. Evening primrose oil contains linolenic acid and gamma linolenic acid ( GLA) which are two omega 6 fatty acids. If you have an omega 3 deficiency, then taking extra omega 6 fatty acids will worsen the deficiency. A lot of people with acne have omega 3 deficiencies which might be why it's not appropriate for some. You might want to try pure norwegian fish oil instead which contains lots of omega 3's plus EPA & DHA and it's very good for skin problems as well as hormonal balance. Take about 3 grams a day.

Old 11-04-2002, 02:30 PM   #5
    daylight568
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

daylight568 HB User

Evening primrose made my face break out BAD .

Old 11-05-2002, 08:55 PM   #6
    Dramaqueen
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Dramaqueen HB User

For me, evening primrose worked really well.How expensive are they where your from Laurie? Theyre reasonably cheap where I live...anyway I guess you could try them for a while, but everyones right, some people break out, others have great success.

Old 11-06-2002, 08:20 AM   #7
    Catherine21
    (female)

Catherine21 HB User

Dramaqueen, do you have oily skin? I think Primrose Oil made me even oilier than usual.<p>[This message has been edited by Catherine21 (edited 11-06-2002).]

Closed Thread