It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

Never Too Young for the Wrinkle Cure or Old for the Acne Cure

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-13-2002, 09:44 PM   #1
toskinnapat

toskinnapat HB User
Never Too Young for the Wrinkle Cure or Old for the Acne Cure

Just a head's up on a book I've purchased: "The Wrinkle Cure," by Nicholas Perricone, MD. While it's written with the older adult in mind who is becoming more conscious of the aging process taking place on the face, please consider getting the book even if you are a young acne sufferer.

I'm an old, wrinkly acne sufferer and feel like I'm never too old to find a way to control my acne or find ways to minimize the acne scarring and aging in my skin. The book only briefly discusses acne, but if any of you really believe there's merit in B5, then I think you'd find the book equally interesting when considering B5 as an anti-aging vitamin.

It's also a good little book for describing the nasty cruelties that sugar, either in candy or simple carbs, inflicts on cells in the skin. Many of you comment on the foods you eat and that you see breakouts from eating certain foods with a high glycemic index. He has lots of reasonable advice on improving diet that may have utility for the acne sufferer.

It's a fun little book to read because the author is a dermatologist that clearly has use for alternative treatments for many skin conditions. But he also implements the current clinical applications widely used by the more mainstream derms.

Lots of good stuff to cogitate on as all of us grow older with fighting acne. Regards, Pat Brown

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-14-2002, 12:49 AM   #2
snowlodg

snowlodg HB User
Re: Never Too Young for the Wrinkle Cure or Old for the Acne Cure

I bought this book over a year ago and I started using some of his products. Recently (2 weeks) I decide to go on the diet he recommends and the differenc in my skin was truely a miracle. More people have commented on how wellmy skin looks and yes the wrinkles are alot less noticeable. So I have back to my grocer and bought all the salmon in the case.
I would also love to hear from other who hav tried it

Old 03-14-2002, 07:29 AM   #3
Crzyakta
(male)

Crzyakta HB User

Can you give some of his food tips? I know he says fish is really good, but what else? He had a large discussion about his tips and using fat soluble antioxidants on another acne messageboard, any other tips there? Is avoiding high glycemic fruits a tip of his?

Old 03-14-2002, 08:51 AM   #4
rohanan

rohanan HB User

Hi Pat! I own this bk and need to pull it out again- thx for reminder. I look at cantaloupe in a whole new way. I slip up on sugar though- how DOES a person NOT eat the occasional chocolate, ice cream, etc.? I don't remember anything about b5 - guess I'll be flipping through it today. I have taken Alpha Lipoic Acid since I read it(a yr ago?). I can't afford his products, but I make an Alpha Lipoic paste sometimes to use as a mask. It really stinks to have had acne all these yrs and just when I get clear, have to worry about wrinkles.
-medicineface

Old 03-14-2002, 09:02 AM   #5
rohanan

rohanan HB User

One other thing- I've had a forehead crease since my teens- as I got older it was becoming a definite wrinkle... anyway, since b5, it has gone away- a slight "scratch" apearance only. It may be due to reduction in oil- oily skin sags and dryer skin is taught. I'm also waking up with less "road maps" on my face- as if my skin is more elastic. Of course, I also eat super good- almost the Wai diet- you pay more attention to diet when you take sups.

Old 03-14-2002, 10:35 PM   #6
toskinnapat

toskinnapat HB User

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by snowlodg:
<B>I bought this book over a year ago and I started using some of his products. Recently (2 weeks) I decide to go on the diet he recommends and the differenc in my skin was truely a miracle. More people have commented on how wellmy skin looks and yes the wrinkles are alot less noticeable. So I have back to my grocer and bought all the salmon in the case.
I would also love to hear from other who hav tried it</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It was by coincidence that a was channel-surfing when the local PBS station was doing one of its many, many, many fund drives and Perricone was in the station to help sell his book as a gift with a contribution to the station. They showed his videotape, too, which really gets you excited to buy the book.

I admit, the business of FINDING the DMAE and alpha lipoic acids through "better department stores' cosmetic counters," is kind of annoying. I just don't shop at the high end retailers--I go to my local Vitamin Shoppe for everything. I didn't know he had his own line of products to sell online. Either outlet would seem more expensive than what I was able to buy at the Vitamin Shoppe.

I have just purchased my wrinkle wregimen and I am incorporating the B5 for the acne. As for his diet tips, I've been a low-carber for over 2 years and his diet does advise against eating foods that are considered the simple, refined carbohydrates that have a high glycemic index, i.e., white breads, potatoes, pastas, corn, peas, carrots. Of the "sugary" vegetables, while the provide good nutriotion, they can only be eaten in very limited quantities. There are many other vegetables that are low in carbs and give you the same nutritional values without the sugar breaking down in our systems.

And drink at least 64 ozs. of water daily because it rehydrates our poor, dilapidated complexions that we've been so cruelly subjecting to years of Rxs and God knows what else.

Even though I adhere to a low carb lifestyle, this doesn't mean his thoughts on diet can't be applied to people who choose low fat. Obviously, the portions of salmon would send most low fatters screaming, but it can be eaten in moderation and supplemented with other fish and protein. One just has to think about it. Fortunately, salmon is my favorite fish.

Thanks for posting about your experience with the diet he proposes. Glad you're enjoying such radiant results! TTYL, Pat

Of the good fruits that are low on the glycemic index he recommends blueberries, kiwi fruit, and strawberries. Be forewarned, he allows for melons but they are higher in surgar than the berries and kiwi.

Old 03-14-2002, 10:44 PM   #7
toskinnapat

toskinnapat HB User

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by rohanan:
<B>Hi Pat! I own this bk and need to pull it out again- thx for reminder. I look at cantaloupe in a whole new way. I slip up on sugar though- how DOES a person NOT eat the occasional chocolate, ice cream, etc.? I don't remember anything about b5 - guess I'll be flipping through it today. I have taken Alpha Lipoic Acid since I read it(a yr ago?). I can't afford his products, but I make an Alpha Lipoic paste sometimes to use as a mask. It really stinks to have had acne all these yrs and just when I get clear, have to worry about wrinkles.
-medicineface </B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You should post the recipe for your lipoic paste. I couldn't find any at the vitamin store. But then I decided to take a capsule because I bought Ester-C cream and MSM to apply in the AL's place. The Ester-C feels so good when it goes on. I would say that his topicals fit in very nicely for those of us with acne that is starting to get under control.

It's going to take me about 6 months to have a good sense about how all these supplements I put on my skin and ingest daily actually work. But I think you've given such a fair representation of how you've enjoyed the B5 and MSM--being patient for results is the big priority--I think I can know what to expect. I'm very optimistic given all that I've been reading about B5 and MSM and the Wrinkle Cure fits in perfectly.

No, no one can ignore those little chocolate demons, so long as it ONLY occasional!

My attitude about acne and then wrinkles is that once the acne is under 98% control, no one will notice when I go in for the laser face lift--they'll remember the acne and won't've noticed the wrinkles creeping into the picture. TTYL, Pat

Old 03-14-2002, 10:47 PM   #8
toskinnapat

toskinnapat HB User

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by rohanan:
<B>One other thing- I've had a forehead crease since my teens- as I got older it was becoming a definite wrinkle... anyway, since b5, it has gone away- a slight "scratch" apearance only. It may be due to reduction in oil- oily skin sags and dryer skin is taught. I'm also waking up with less "road maps" on my face- as if my skin is more elastic. diet when you </B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's likely because the collagen is starting to fill in the crease. This collagen thing really does work. I've been having microdermabrasions for the past 2 motnhs and I CAN SEE A DIFFERENCE in some of the acne scarring. Ice picks are still there, but some of the dishy scars are absolutely fading and filling in. I'm very pleased with my visits to the aesthetician. Pat

Closed Thread