It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• Acne has made my life miserable

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-05-2002, 03:26 PM   #1
    random_guy

random_guy HB User
    Acne has made my life miserable

Acne has killed my confidence. All I do these days is sit in front of my computer, play videogames or train at the gym (my only real hobby). I never do anything with my friends on my freetime anymore. Needless to say I never talk with anyone of the opposite sex. I was a lot more talkative and outgoing three years ago, before pimples invaded my face. I was pretty popular with the girls too back then.

My face looks horrible. I saw my reflection on a window today and almost started to cry. It looks that bad. I have red marks all over my cheeks, scars and indents on my forehead and cheeks, pimples everywhere on my face (about 20 ) and some enlarged pores. All in all my skin horribly uneven and does
    not definately look like a 17 year old guy's skin. It's more like some 40 year old drunk beaten'up geezer's skin!

I've tried everything : antibiotics, microderm, AHAs, tons of over-the-counter stuff, egg yolk, milk, changing my diet, brushing for scars...none of these really helped much. Even Accutane didn't work well for me: for the first four months of my six month course (40mg/day) I kept breaking out. I was 95% clear for like 2 months at the beginning of the summer but now, three months after my last accutane pill, the zits have started to come back. Not as bad before though (no more those big mothas that first sit on your cheek for a month and then leave you with a hideous scar, thank god), but I'm scared that the cysts will come back .

My parents don't seem to care about my problem. My old man had severe acne in his youth (his skin still looks pretty awful with all those scars and indents, even though he'll soon turn 50), but still he doesn't support me in any way. He never wants to talk about my acne. My mom does listen to me, but she just keeps telling me the usual crap (You wouldn't breakout if you'd just wash your face more often, it'll go away with time etc.). So I really have no one to talk about my problem. All this sadness and hatred just keeps growing inside me.

Sorry for making such a negative post, but I just had to get this out of my head before I killed someone.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-05-2002, 03:56 PM   #2
    What the
    Inactive

What the HB User
    Re: Acne has made my life miserable

Please give a shot at b5, what have you got to lose?

Old 09-05-2002, 04:09 PM   #3
    vitamin_man

vitamin_man HB User

Sorry about the hard time you are having, i know it
    sucks having acne.
    Are you still seeing a derm?..If you are you should
    ask about a second course of accutane..at a much higher dose..17 year old guy, average build...i would say 80 mg daily... Many people need 2 courses.
    Sorry i can't help more...Talk to your derm about a second course...Good Luck.

Old 09-05-2002, 06:47 PM   #4
    DaCure

DaCure HB User

Acne has made my life horrible too. When I think back on when I had clear skin I get upset at myself because I should have done a lot of things. It's funny to say that because I'm only 16. I've forgot what it feels like to have clear skin. Does anyone else feel like that? I'm tired of people telling me how to treat my skin, no one knows our skin better than ourselves. I'm tired of all these ignorant people thinking they know everything. I'm not saying I'm not ignorant because we all are. I'm tired of these derms prescribing useless treatments. I also try to avoid eye contact with people with clear skin.
    Here are a few questions I ask myself when speaking to someone with clear skin:
    Does this person look at me different because of my acne? Is this person looking at my face? When will my skin ever be that clear? What I do to deserve this?

I'm a firm believer in karma and believe I must have done something wrong to deserve this. I isolate myself in my room away from the world, friends and family. I just get depressed seeing people with clear skin. They say a large percentage of people have acne but I haven't seen them. I finished my Accutane treatment and it made my skin 80% clearer but these red marks make my skin look bad.

Old 09-06-2002, 07:13 AM   #5
    random_guy

random_guy HB User

Thanks for replying What the, vitamin_man & DaCure. I don't you can get b5 around here, not sure about that though. Is it a prescription drug or can you just buy it without the doc's permission? As for the second course of accutane, I don't think I can go on it yet. Aren't you supposed to have some sort of break between courses, something like six months or so? Plus I had some problems with my bloodtests last time, so my system might not be able to take such a high dose. Active acne isn't really even my biggest problem right now, it's all those red marks and scars that make me so ugly. You wouldn't happen to have anything for them? BTW don't suggest laser surgery or something similary expensive, I just don't have the money to do those.

Sorry to hear about that,DaCure. We have so much in common. I can truly feel your pain. Good luck. Try to hang in there.

Old 09-06-2002, 09:08 AM   #6
    NJ guy
    (male)

NJ guy HB User

man i feel u on this. Your brave enough even to try to talk to ur parents so i give u mad props there. Im not an expert in what to take or what not to cause my acne has been bad at times but i dont think to a very severe point where i needed accutane or anyhting. Hang in threre, research this board for every possible solution as u know already,drink plenty of water,dont wash to much cause it is not good 2 times a day,hey makeup on guys is ok im telling u all the movie stars do it. I wish u the best of luck man and i know how u feel. I have wanted to cry at the same time many times when i see my skin and think about all the damn people i see with perfect skin and they never have to worry about a thing

Old 09-06-2002, 12:01 PM   #7
    livenlearn

livenlearn HB User

from a women's perspective... (an older one at that... i'm 31)... anyway, i can feel your pain... completely..... although i didn't have acne in my teens..... i did throughout my 20's..... all i did was worry about how to get rid of them.... didn't socialize..... and always thought people were staring at me...... now, my acne is gone... (thanks to proactiv.... i know it doesn't work for some people.. but, thank God, it worked for me !!)... anyway, i do have a couple scars on my face from when all i cared about was getting this zit off my face.... i didn't worry if it would scar.....

ok, my point is... my mother apparently had acne when she was younger... (although i never remember her having acne) i have discovered in the last couple years that i notice SHE has some scars..... anyway, point is.... she never talked to me about my acne... never tried to help me.... i went to a derm when i was about 24..... he did nothing.... except for the scars he did cyrotherapy... which helps a little.... kinda like microdermabrasion..... but, it's Co2 that he sprays your face with..... kinda "freezes" the acne and the skin where the scars are it becomes "scaly" over the next couple days and peels off.. but, it isn't anything horrible to be seen with.... anyway, i really was kinda angry with her for not stepping in and helping me, seeing that apparently, she went thru the same thing i did... .so, i understand how you feel when your father doesn't try and help you.... i know they probably don't know how.. seeing that they have scars... but, you better believe my children will not go through what i did..... i've learned how to control my acne, and rid myself of it.... finally.... so, i'll give them the advice i know works.... and prevent any scarring in them... (i'm praying they have their fathers skin... he's the type that makes ya sick... maybe has had one pimple his entire life)

anyway, just wanted to send you some encouragement.... proactiv worked for me for my acne... and right now i'm using alpha hydrox enhanced creme with glycolic acid... and a "sugar" scrub that has glycolic acid in it to tone my skin.. i've been pretty happy with the results...

good luck!

Old 09-06-2002, 03:15 PM   #8
    Kimmy77

Kimmy77 HB User

I feel just like you. Acne is making me feel completely terrible about myself. It's so embarrassing. I hate even going out of the house. Here I am, 25 years old and still dealing with acne. When I see 15 and 16 year olds with flawless skin it only makes me feel even worse. Here I am, envying the skin of teenagers! So much for acne being a teenage problem. I never thought I'd have it this long. I haven't had clear skin since I was 12 years old. Enough is enough already ya know? This year my acne has just gotten worse and worse. I can honestly say that it is worse right now than ever before in my life. I'm getting a lot more of the cystic pimples. Not fun to deal with at all. They take forever to heal and leave those lovely red marks for literally 9 - 12 months. I'm fed up, totally frustrated. So I made a derm appt for next week. I haven't been to the derm in a couple of years. They'll probably just stick me on antibiotics and Differin again. Previously antibiotics made an improvement in my skin but am I supposed to take them for the rest of my life or what? Last time it was only a month after I quit the antibiotics and back came the acne full force. So I can totally understand where you're coming from. My mother is 59 years old and is still getting a couple of pimples now and then. I get thoroughly depressed when I think that's what I have to look forward to - a lifetime struggle with acne. My dad had bad skin when he was younger too. So I guess I was just destined to suffer with this. I can only hope the derm will really help me rid myself of acne for good this time. Anything miraculous happens, I'll be sure to post. But I'm not holding my breath.

Old 09-06-2002, 07:14 PM   #9
    nateholman
    (male)

nateholman HB User

Man do I feel your pain. Everything you said is identical to the feelings that I have. I am 18 and just starting college. Before I had acne, I was a stud. Girls liked me, guys liked me, teachers liked me; it seemed like everyone liked me. People can say all they want about being yourself in spite of your acne, but it is extremely hard. And yes, people do notice your red marks and zits. I know, because pre-acne, I had numerous dates and a lot of interaction with the opposite sex. Over the past 3-4 years, I haven't talked to one girl. That's right; one. No, I haven't become a recluse and stopped talking; I have tried numerous times to strike up a conversation, only to be blown off by virtually everyone. Also, I used to get those looks from girls; you know, those ones that convey an attraction, the ones that say "you're good looking." I haven't gotten one of those for a long time, and it really hurts. I think the thing that has helped me most is my religion. Knowing that everything happens for a reason and that God has a plan has helped me to relax and just sort of accept the way things are. I now go about my days less self-conscious than I used to be and try to just live life to the fullest. I smile a lot, try to have fun, and try to avoid mirrors as much as possible. This really helps (avoiding mirrors). If you don't look at yourself for a while, you start to forget about your face and the world doesn't seem so terrible. I really do believe in that old saying that "time heals all wounds" and I truly hope that you and everyone will eventually find peace. I think that acne will make you, I, and the millions of other acne sufferers out there stronger, better people. Maybe it will teach us to have compassion and look at people in a new light. I myself used to be somewhat of a jackass, making fun of the fat, the ugly, the deformed, and all sorts of other people. I now smile at those people and my heart goes out to them; I am sort of in their shoes now. I am a better person now. Maybe not a better looking person, but a better person nonetheless. Life is short, enjoy it. Looks are only that; having a good heart is more important than having a good complexion.<p>[This message has been edited by nateholman (edited 09-06-2002).]

Old 09-06-2002, 10:27 PM   #10
    AcneTeen
    (male)

AcneTeen HB User

There have been some really good posts on this thread. I especially like the end of yours nateholman, very true, very true.
    Anyways, I can't say I was a stud pre-acne. I'm a senior in high school right now. I've always been pretty shy. But this has just absolutely made it worse! I've actually known lately of some girls who have liked me....and I've liked them....but I'm so embarrassed about my face, I just can't bare to ask any of them on a date.
    I seem to be a likeable person at school. I make people laugh. But I get left out of everything that's out of school. I can just hear what they're thinking, "man, we can't hang out with him, look at his acne, he'd embarrass us".
    But...nateholman, you are absoutely right. it gives me a whole new level of sensitivity to people too. i judge people a whole lot less than i used to. i just wish my acne would go away and that i could maintain this new attitude, too.

Old 09-06-2002, 10:44 PM   #11
    carly20

carly20 HB User

acne has killed my confidence too. I constantly look at other peoples skin and wish mine was flawless and even as theirs. i even carry a mirror (compact) with me and check myself out in every light lol. Its sick. I never had bad skin before but the last 3 years ive been struggling with it. I am almost 21 and this should not be happening. I get occasional bumps( whiteheads) not cystic or pitted scars. However i too get those RED MARKS ON MY CHEEKS. Mine are soft and smooth though and i NEVER had pimples there so they cant be scars. Does this sound familiar to neone. Anyone im just upset too so u arent alone : ( I am gonna try retin a micro to see if that would help wish me luck

Old 09-06-2002, 10:46 PM   #12
    carly20

carly20 HB User

acne has killed my confidence too. I constantly look at other peoples skin and wish mine was flawless and even as theirs. i even carry a mirror (compact) with me and check myself out in every light lol. Its sick. I never had bad skin before but the last 3 years ive been struggling with it. I am almost 21 and this should not be happening. I get occasional bumps( whiteheads) not cystic or pitted scars. However i too get those RED MARKS ON MY CHEEKS. Mine are soft and smooth though and i NEVER had pimples there so they cant be scars. Does this sound familiar to neone. Anyone im just upset too so u arent alone : ( I am gonna try retin a micro to see if that would help wish me luck

Old 09-07-2002, 12:58 PM   #13
    steven2983

steven2983 HB User

I feel what everyone is saying. As the days go by, i feel like acne is getting the best of me; slowly killing me bit by bit.

One of the things i hate most is when adults tell you, 'it'll go away w/ time'' or ''you'll grow out of it''. The sad thing is that even my Doc told me this. Haven't these people ever heard of adult acne, scarring, or the social affect that acne has on acne suffers!!

[This message has been edited by steven2983 (edited 09-07-2002).]<p>[This message has been edited by steven2983 (edited 09-07-2002).]

Old 09-07-2002, 01:17 PM   #14
    random_guy

random_guy HB User

Thanks for replying everyone. As AcneTeen said there have been some really good posts on this thread. Keep 'em coming. It truly makes me feel better to know there are people in this world who can understand what I'm going thru. At least we aren't alone thanks to this great board.

Old 09-07-2002, 03:58 PM   #15
    blueeyedbia
    Inactive

blueeyedbia HB User

Amen. This is excatly how I feel. I have had acne for 5 1/2 years and I am still in high school. Thanks to Accutane I am free of current acne, but my face still isnt even close to looking good. My forehead and chin are clear, with just some enlarged pores on my foreheard and discoloration, but you can hardly tell. My cheeks are a diaster. I had my acne for about 1 1/2 before I finally went to a dr. The damage shows. My cheeks are full of redmarks and enlarged pores and unevenness. If you were to look at me in the sun my cheeks would not be smooth, they would look like tiny dots. My nose is basically the same. In the past my acne has moved around from area to area, but my nose has always has it. My pores are enlarged there or blackheads or something but they have always been there and probably always will. Needless to say I do not have much confidene. I will try to artificially pump myself up with confidence, but it only lasts for a couple of days and then I fall back down harder. I have friend but like you guys I rarely do things with them. Sometimes they will call and I will just let the phone ring, wishing I could go with them. But then I remember that my face is a golfball so I dont go out. I can't even remember what it is like to have clear skin. I have wished for the past 5 1/2 years to have just one day where I could have clear skin. To see what those people who dont have to worry about it, but it hasnt happened and probably never will. Both of my parents have bad skin, especially my mom. This makes my outlook on life even better when you know that unless a cure is found, this may be the best it gets.

If there is any slight benefit to this hella good on earth we have to go through I guess it would be that we become more sensitive to other people. I have also found out that the cool people are fun and all, but the other people have just as much fun if not more. Try to give everyone a chance, even if they arent the best at something!

Closed Thread