It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• fasting and acne

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-07-2003, 10:52 AM   #1
    Bizza12

Bizza12 HB User
    fasting and acne

water fasting for an extended amount of days will completely clear up your acne, along with any other skin disease you may suffer from. i have bad acne and excema, both of which completely dissapear after a few days of abstaining from food. the problem is once you start eating again, everything comes back just as it was before. due to this discovery i am practically anorexic, for its the ONLY thing that keeps my skin clear, as unhealthy as it may be i have no other option to resort to. makes my life awefull.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-07-2003, 11:07 AM   #2
    Merrida
    Inactive

Merrida HB User
    Re: fasting and acne

I agree, and I've done "fasts" as well, and just like you, my skin clears up. I have other skin issues, not just acne, and ---- just like you ---- they all seem to be healed.

But this leads me to believe that it may not be fasting in and of itself, or in its entirety that may be our issues, as much as it may more likely be certain foods we eat that trigger our breakouts.

I'm more likely to believe that we are having allergies or sensitivities to either certain foods by themselves or in quantity, additives, spices, proteins, sugars, (even in natural forms)...

There are some foods that I can eat in small quantities and be fine but it seems like if I over indulge, I break out.

I'm a firm believer in diet affecting acne. After all, our skin is our largest organ, and its purpose is to eliminate. Whether we're sweating, shedding our skin cells, or breaking out, the skin is still doing some form of elimination. The skin is said to be the perfect reflection of a person's TRUE health, and there are some natural health care practitioners who say they can "diagnose" medical conditions just by looking at your skin.

I wouldn't doubt it.

Experience of my own has taught me to "read" other peoples' skin too.

Old 01-07-2003, 11:13 AM   #3
    Bizza12

Bizza12 HB User

that was a good post, thanks for the reply. i'm not sure about the skin being a perfect reflection of one's true health however. reason being, my skin looks the best it has ever looked when i fast, but not eating isnt exactly healthy.

Old 01-07-2003, 12:38 PM   #4
    scoobydoobydoowhereru

scoobydoobydoowhereru HB User

I completly agree with you both, in my experience, not eating is the best remedy forclearing acne, but tht cant go on forever, obviously. i do know however of some people (or maybe 1 person) who said that they actually WERE anorexic(sp) for months but their acne never improved at all during this time..hard to beleive but it happened. Not eating, in a sense, is one of the healthiest things you could do but obviously as humans, or any animal has to do, we HAVE to eat to stay alive..bit of a shame really. However when we are fasting, there are no new toxins etc entering our body through digfestion and our whole body can begin i guess to heal itself through this incredibly healthy digestion system. sounds weird but im sure its right. ive tried introducing single things back into my diet but WHATEVER i try i WILL break out from it, so either im allergic to ALL foods or its some other problem, such as my digestive system just cant work properly, whaatever i eat. this sucks. Its strange to think doctors still laugh at the thought of a link between acne and food when (most) of us KNOW its the truth, a fact. The cure is there somewhere but until they do more research into food causing acne, we will never find it, and they will not do this as they dont beleive in a link...anyway im just trying to cut down the amount i eat, especially before i goto bed, but this is hard as im already thin.
    Sy

Old 01-07-2003, 01:09 PM   #5
    DenverGal
    Veteran

DenverGal HB User

I agree with the fasting thing. In fact, over the holidays I indulged in a ton of yummy foods and my face has not been this bad in years. Also, over the summer/fall I lost about 20 lbs. and my face got remarkably better. It makes me wonder if that extra weight (fat) has toxins stored in it that cause acne.

Old 01-07-2003, 03:13 PM   #6
    Bizza12

Bizza12 HB User

theres def. a link, and a big one. sad to say that these phareceutical companies will never have the decency to take their heads out of their asses and start caring about the PEOPLE. they know there is a link, and i wouldnt doubt if they already know how to cure acne with something pertaining to food. oh but they wouldnt make money off it so we will suffer forever. #$#@%!!!

Old 01-07-2003, 03:37 PM   #7
    pinkjellibeans

pinkjellibeans HB User

I think you all need to go eat something. 2 years ago i lost 45 pounds and i have maintained my weight at 102 since.. before i lost all that weight i ate pretty much whatever i wanted and had beautiful skin..i now have hormonal acne which is due to ortho tri clclen ( a horrible bcp that totally screwed up my face) i eat 7 times a day ( mostly fruits and veggies ) .. i once tried the lemon water and fasting thing...all fasting did for me was dry out my skin making it flakey although it did clear my skin for a short period , i would not reccomend the idea to anyone.. it is very very bad to fast all the time... once or twice a month is actually ok because it does clean out your system.. but more than that is dangerous and in the long run will make your skin worse through lack of nutrients.

Old 01-07-2003, 03:41 PM   #8
    scurvy
    Inactive

scurvy HB User

it does seem like it could work.. so you guys think like for 1 day or 2 days just drink liquids and no food? i'm not worried about it cause i weigh like 130 and i havent gained or lost a pound in like 5 years. might give it a shot.

Old 01-07-2003, 04:00 PM   #9
    scoobydoobydoowhereru

give it a go to proove to yourself it DOES WORK. but at the end of the day, its pointless because you will have to start eating again and your acne WILL come back. Its sad but true, though maybe you could at least improve on your current acne condition by fasting say once a month? i would try it but i find it hard to go for any length of time without food these days.

As for having perfect skin and eating what you like..of course you could, lots of people on here have talked about how they always used to eat junk food and never got acne from it so the food link to acne is false. well of course the food doesnt START the acne, thats called puberty, hormones, whatever, the fact is the food is 'fueling' the growth and worsening condition of your acne, of that there is no doubt in my mind whatsoever. anyone who has any doubts about it should just go 2 days with no food and drink alot of water, preferably with fresh lemon juice squeezed in it and you WILL be amazed by what happens to your skin. Whether or not your skin eventually does get worse again due to LACK of nutrients is another thing all together, you would have to fast for a very long time for that to happen i would think.

I agree with whats been said and feel that if these researches gave a **** they would have simply proven the link by now and be working out WHY the food is petrol for acne. it sucks.

Sy

Old 01-07-2003, 04:19 PM   #10
    scurvy
    Inactive

scurvy HB User

true scooby. Well until the day when you can pop a pill and not be hungry for a week there will be acne. and until we are all androids with computer chips inside us there will be acne !!!!!!!!! raghadfusofi jio21421

Old 01-07-2003, 04:22 PM   #11
    openseason
    Senior Veteran

openseason HB User

Since acne is controlled by genetics it is not easy to find a cure. Accutane was supposed to be a miracle cure but it hasnt turned out that way. So millions of desperate people look to "infomercials" for cures. I heard Lourdes water cures acne.

Old 01-07-2003, 04:32 PM   #12
    Bizza12

Bizza12 HB User

fasting is a rather serious experience, its not something you should just try out by any means. it will drastically change you mentally and physically, and to some the results may be unwanted. please do some research before getting yourself into something you may not be prepared for. the internet has numerous resources for fasting so look it up. and as stated before, your acne will return once you start eating again. but if it's worth it to you to see yourself with beautiful skin for a short period of time then go for it.

Old 01-07-2003, 04:41 PM   #13
    scoobydoobydoowhereru

Fair point Bizza I suppose i got caught up in the moment, fasting is not a good idea by any means, and the length of time you stay clear for will literally be until you start eating again, and probably not a minute later. unless you have some date or important event coming up in 2-3 days time dont fast. if you do, consider it as a quick fix, obviously this will depend on how severe your acne is, severe cystic acne will almost certainly take longer to clear but i would strongly advice against fasting any longer than 2 days, 3 max. Having lemon juice in the water goes along way to speeding up the process, the reasons for this i do not know.

Sy

Old 01-07-2003, 05:57 PM   #14
    Chris M

Chris M HB User

In my experience fasting is not a good idea, it's not healthy to be anorexic and when I did fast my acne actually got WORSE, not better. Nowadays I can eat what I want and it doesn't make a single bit of difference to my skin.

I've been on accutane for 41 days and my skin is basically clear now, yeah I get a few spots on my forehead and maybe 1-2 a week on the lower half of my face, but it's so good being able to look at my face and not flinching.

I would never sacrifice my health over the acne, especially by fasting, which is obviously not a good idea.

you'd be better off applying makeup...

Chris.

Old 01-07-2003, 07:29 PM   #15
    crazyabout blue
    Inactive

crazyabout blue HB User

I do believe that fasting does help.. I drank fresh lemon water, and barely ate anything, and when i do eat, it was healthy.

It can be use as a quick fix.

However, it can be damaging.. to both mental and physical problems. I usually get a huge headache towards the end of the day, and the next day I would want to binge and eat all the junk foods.

Just be sure to drink lots of water to clear out ur digestive system.

Closed Thread