It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• How bad of Acne does accutane require?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-05-2002, 09:15 PM   #1
    Trevor

Trevor HB User
    How bad of Acne does accutane require?

To a derm, how bad must one's acne be to get accutane?

I know derms differ, and I think i have a pretty nice one.... basically i dont have all that bad of acne. I mean i think its moderate... i usually have 6-8 pimples on my face at a time, not whiteheads but like actual zits. Some are deep and really hurt, though i do not think they are cysts.

I also usually have like 10 more within my hair line... but anyway, I really want to just go straight to Accutane. I know its not a miracle cure, but I am really not interested in trying anything else. I know other things work too, but I really wanna go to Accutane right away...

will this be possible? with the acne i described, will my derm give it to me if i ask for it?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-06-2002, 08:49 AM   #2
    David_wilko

David_wilko HB User
    Re: How bad of Acne does accutane require?

My acne wasn't very serious, in fact quite similar to yours when I was prescribed accutane.

BUT mine was persistent, I'd tried various treatments over about 2-3 years. Basically you could be prescribed accutane if your acne has not responded well to other meds.

Old 02-07-2002, 11:13 AM   #3
    Trevor

Trevor HB User

yea mines just way persistent..

the thing is, i really dont want to try any other medicines. I am very sensitive to OTC topicals, and i have used my mothers retin-a a few times... its very harsh on my skin ...plus my acne isn't all that bad, just very persistent, and i dont want to end up taking something that could make it worse, unless its Accutane (cause if Accutane doesn't work, then i will be satisfied knowing i tried to 'best' thing and it failed). i worry less about the acne itself than knowing i could be rid of it...

anyway, if i just told my doctor that i wanted to try accutane, would that work? or would he tell me i have to try this this and this first?

Old 02-07-2002, 04:52 PM   #4
    choking_victim

choking_victim HB User

My acne was just like yours too. In fact when i went to the doctor i really didnt have any because i was on antibiotics but everytime i go off antibiotics the acne comes right back and most of the time worse..this is the case for just about everyone on antibiotics..so i went to the derm with a lot of confidence cuz i really wanted accutane cuz ive seen how good it works on like 3 of my friends..i walked in and was just like..."i know my acne isnt bad at but it at times and is so damn persistent and ive had it for so long..and ive seen accutane work wonders for my friends...and i know of all the side effects and read so much about the drug..i would like to just take it and get rid of my acne once an for and not waste money on antibiotics that dont work permanantely and topicals that are expensive and are just a pain to use..".....im tellin you theyll give it to you...just dont even give them a chance to speak..most derms will give it to you cuz they have more important things to worry about..ive read about tons of people how they sit and wait to get in the derms office for like an hour and the doc spends about 3 minutes with them if your there for acne..which is true for me too...but hey who cares..theyre basically a prescription tool anyway..and so the moral of the story..youll get it if you really want it...and it works damn good..ive been on it for 4 months now..and my face looks picture perfect...im 175 pounds..and started out at 80 a day...then i went to 120..and then 160..and now im at a ridiculouse 180!! for the last 2 months..i could care less how high the dose is cuz my blood tests are fine and i feel perfectly fine..i tolerate it good..usually people write back to me like im taking heroin cuz of a dose that high..the higher the dose in your treatment period..the better long lasting results you have so im more than happy to take any dose he gives me as long as im tolerating it well...this drug rules..dont let anything scare you..it will boost your confidence and everything..it might be hell for the months your on it cuz of putting lotion on cuz of dryness and stuff..but its all worth it in the end..a little suffering for the best youll ever be in your life at the end of your treatment...good luck and happy accutaning to you...sorry for babbling so much..but i was in your exact position..i was so nervous that they wouldnt give it to me i nearly had an anxiety attack...youll get it though...your life is about to change....peaceeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.......JAY

Old 02-07-2002, 10:55 PM   #5
    carly20

carly20 HB User

i was an accutane i think about 15-20 mg...i too had persistant acne but nothing really really bad. It worked well for me while i was on it and even for a few months after i was off it. But then my face broke out worse than before. And now its not cystic acne or what i had before but its red marks all over my cheeks?? whats up with that. I could kill my derm. This sh^t i think ruined my skin blah!

Old 02-08-2002, 06:52 AM   #6
    Trevor

Trevor HB User

I wish my acne was on my cheeks... i dont get MANY pimples, like i said... but they are always in like the worst spots of my T-zone (low forehead, right above eyebrows /between eyes, my NOSE, the most outward part of my chin, etc.).... having a few pimples scattered throughout these spots really draws attention away from my eyes. Since one's eyes are what define him or her the most, and also what determine a large part of whether someone is attractive, I really don't want acne drawing my attention away from them..

I'm gonna see if i can get accutane... if my acne comes back worse, then i'll go from there.

Old 09-17-2002, 01:49 PM   #7
    20withacne
    (female)

20withacne HB User

Carly,
    Why did you break out worse as soon as you were off accutane? That makes me nervous as I am about to go onit for the first time. I have moderate yet persistent acne. Thanks

Old 09-17-2002, 04:13 PM   #8
    Strung Out RG270
    Inactive

Strung Out RG270 HB User

Ah! I have acne on my cheeks and its not good at all. In fact, my acne never dares to go to my forehead or nose. Just my cheeks and chin.

Old 09-18-2002, 08:05 PM   #9
    lifehouse

lifehouse HB User

My acne is probably mild/moderate compared to some people, usually I have 3-4 huge pimples/cysts and maybe 5-10 smaller ones but my skin is extremely oily, I'm 30 and I've tried SO MANY things that haven't helped at all. I think you just have to try milder things first because so many people's skin can be controlled with BP or Retin-A. Those are great products. You can't judge Retin-A by using it a few times. Just like with BP, you have to use it all over your face for about 6 weeks so you can adjust to it and start to see results. You might want to try that before Accutane.

Old 09-18-2002, 08:48 PM   #10
    BarBQLover

BarBQLover HB User

Definitely agree with lifehouse. I'm 22 and I still breakout about every other week, but it's usually just one or two big pimples. There are many weeks when I can do as I please and have nary a concern about breaking out, and this is on a regimen of Retin-A at night and tetracyline twice a day. Not perfect, but it's definitely better than when I was younger. Now just to get rid of these friggin scars......!! and I don't mean red marks either, I mean actual indentations and ice pick scars (this is not a criticism of anybody, but anybody who feels their life is being ruined by red marks alone, please consider how much worse life would be if those red marks were pitted scars.)

Yes, try a topical medication and antiobiotics first. True, Retin-A may initially be harsh to your skin, but trust me, your skin adapts and gets better with continued use. Accutane may cure persistent acne, but I still believe any derm who doesn't look at his/her patients as cash registers that go CHA-*****! when they first walk into his office will use Accutane not on the patient's whim, but in his/her professional opinion. It's a serious drug and many have experienced some tough side effects. It's the truth and not to be taken lightly.

Old 09-19-2002, 05:26 AM   #11
    MarifromPR
    Inactive

MarifromPR HB User

Regular derms sucks! To get accutane prescritption go to cosmetic dermatologists. Cosmetic derms dont waist time in treatments that dont work.

Old 12-31-2002, 11:20 PM   #12
    mad_hatter

mad_hatter HB User

depends on the derm/doc. but some docs can be a ***** they won't prescribe even if u beg for it. but it never hurts to try.

Old 01-01-2003, 01:26 AM   #13
    Tummy

Tummy HB User

my experience with accutane wasnt as good as I had hoped. It was really bad before and got really bad on it, but never was my acne ever cleared for even one week. It's gotten progressively worse over the past 7 or 8 months since I've been off and it just goes to show that for some people nothing works.

Closed Thread