It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• Having Aldactone/Spironolactone/Spiro problems, could use some advice; PAIN, SIDE EFF

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-01-2011, 07:04 PM   #1
    hmj211
    (female)

hmj211 HB User
    Having Aldactone/Spironolactone/Spiro problems, could use some advice; PAIN, SIDE EFF

I've been on 100 mg of Aldactone/spiro for at least four months. I stopped taking it for a few days..and all the cystic acne seems to have come back. I've been fighting this for eight years (with Accutane for three)...it's so frustrating. I use 10% benzoyl peroxide cream and Retin-A every other day (though, too be fair, I hadn't been as attentive...but that still doesn't explain how I broke out everywhere, when I'm on this damn drug), wash my face with Ivory soap (fragrance-free) because it's the only thing that doesn't seem to leave a film, and try to be conscientious about the make-up/products I use on my face. I don't wear sunscreen unless I go out before 4 PM and use an aloe moisturizer that hasn't broken me out before.

It had negligible results for a while, worked well for a month, and now I'm back to square one. What happened? Will I have to start again? Should I up my dosage?

More importantly--in addition to the Aldactone, I am on 20 mg Prozac, have been for three months, and during a stressful evening, felt horrible in a way I never have before. I thought it was the Prozac, but now I'm suspecting it was the Aldactone.

The incident was set off by emotional stress, but during this period I had serious pain from the base of my neck to my ankles and it was concentrated in my lower back. My muscles felt like they were on fire; I felt muscle spasms; my head was pounding; and my heart was racing. It lasted for hours and made it difficult to sleep, even though I was exhausted.

I'm only now beginning to suspect Aldactone/spiro has side effects I was unaware of. The episode was debilitating and unpleasant, and it happened at least two more times....serious pain, hot aching limbs, and I felt it the morning after. Ibuprofen did not help.

What should I do? Shouldn't I have gotten adjusted to this drug by now?

Has anyone else experienced anything like this? It's bad enough the drug isn't fighting acne anymore; now, it might hurting me in other ways. I need some advice because if it's going to do nothing for the acne or cause harm, I need to make the decision to find something else to deal with the acne.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-02-2011, 07:58 PM   #2
    kilgore52
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

kilgore52 HB User
    Re: Having Aldactone/Spironolactone/Spiro problems, could use some advice; PAIN, SIDE

Hi. I'm not a doctor, but I consider Spiro a miracle drug for acne. From my experience.. it took 200 mgs of Spiro, tons of water and 5 full months and I was flawless with a lot more hair on my head. Dropped down to 100 mgs after a year and have been clear since. I had some of your symptoms, but not that severe. I would go up to 150mgs and see.Hope this helps

Last edited by kilgore52; 02-02-2011 at 08:02 PM.

Old 02-07-2011, 10:49 PM   #3
    WhenItRains
    Veteran
    (female)

WhenItRains HB UserWhenItRains HB UserWhenItRains HB UserWhenItRains HB UserWhenItRains HB UserWhenItRains HB UserWhenItRains HB User
    Re: Having Aldactone/Spironolactone/Spiro problems, could use some advice; PAIN, SIDE

I think IVORY soap is a big part of your problem! You should never use "soap" on your face,and Ivory is pretty harsh.
    Use a liquid cleanser like neutrogena foaming face wash or even purpose.
    Bar soaps are no good for acne.They contain waxes and other pore clogging ingredients which gives them their shape.

As far as your symptoms go...you are not suppose to take ibuprofen with spiro.I suggest having a full panel of blood work done to make sure your electrolytes are not out of balance due to the medication.
    Drink more water!

Closed Thread