It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• adults on accutane/isotretinoin?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-11-2012, 08:06 AM   #16
    rutgerjen
    (female)

rutgerjen HB User
    Re: adults on accutane/isotretinoin?

Derm has me doing this every other day (40 mg) and it seems to be working without the side effects. Its clearing up my skin so I think I am just sensitive to the medication. I am wondering if I stay on a low dose will it work over time. Been reading some research articles that say it might be ok to be on low doses if you have moderate acne (which I do). I am so happy how my skin is looking.

Anyone get really sleepy or need to drink a lot of water? I am so thirsty!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-11-2012, 09:27 AM   #17
    Fiche
    (female)

Fiche HB User

I was both very tired and dehydrated for the first week or two! I had forgotten that! I am on day 46 now I believe, and things seem to have sorted out. skin is improving!

Old 07-24-2012, 03:28 PM   #18
    hizzy
    (female)

hizzy HB User

hi, fiche & rutgerjen! just checking to see how you're doing! i just saw my derm for my first month follow-up, and everything is going well. he came in the exam room, took one look at me, and said, "well, you're certainly clearing up!" he increased my dose from 40mg to 60mg, so i'll be taking 20mg in the morning and 40mg at night.

i actually feel like the uncomfortable dryness and itching i had initially is getting better now that i've been on the med a while. i stopped shampooing my hair every day, and the bad dandruff i had initially is gone. found an AWESOME all-natural lotion at my local farmer's market that is mostly aloe vera gel, and that's keeping everything from the neck down very well hydrated as long as i use it 2-3 times a day. on my face, i'm using pure jojoba oil at night and aveeno facial lotion with SPF30 in the morning. this seems to be the right hydrating routine for me.

i was a bit concerned that my total cholesterol went from 147 before starting the med to 203 after being on it for a month, but my doctor said that the cholesterol side effects tend not to go any higher after a month on the med, that i'm barely above the normal level, and that when i stop taking the med, my cholesterol should go back where it was before. in the meantime, i'll be eating extra healthy and exercising just for added insurance.

rutgerjen, i do remember feeling more tired the first few weeks on the medication, but i've had a lot of stress at work this month, so i don't know that i can full attribute that to the accutane. thirsty, though, yes...i make sure i always have water with me, and i even have to get up a couple times a night to get a drink most nights.

fiche, i was sorry to read a few posts up about your father...my condolences.

hope you are both having the good results i am!

Old 07-31-2012, 09:27 AM   #19
    Fiche
    (female)

Fiche HB User

Hi Hizzy and everyone!
    I have been on the Accutane for 63 days now...I am still having some issues with weird skin lesions, they are not acne so much, just open sores on my back and arms. Just seems like everything takes longer to heal, and I am a bit older after all.
    For the most part I am happy with what's going on with my face, I notice I am wearing less makeup which is awesome!
    So good to hear your success Hizzy, helps to keep us all going!

Old 03-11-2014, 10:26 PM   #20
    Kategoingforit
    (female)

Kategoingforit HB User
    Question Re: adults on accutane/isotretinoin?

So new doctor suggested accutane ( generic) for the 1-3 large pimples I get per month. Yes, I've been on antibiotics for years and topical creams. My concern is my AGE 44 and causing dramatic facial wrinkles and vaginal dryness that could possibly last a life time :-( some other sites women were saying that sex hurt a year after and they could never get wet again. THAT IS THE ONE THING HOLDING ME BACK, that seems like a huge risk/gamble. Please advise me and thanks a bunch for the suggestions on lotions and lip therapy and post. Very informative to hear from patients
    I wondered/ask why my other two dermatologist never suggested it, she said because they would loose me as a patient .... My acne is not severe but a nuisance and the no make up you ladies talk about sounds dreamy cool!!!

Old 03-13-2014, 05:34 PM   #21
    Fiche
    (female)

Fiche HB User

Well, the doc took me off Accutane shortly after my last post...but my skin has remained fairly good since. I have so many more wrinkles at 51 that it is a bit depressing, but I don't know that Accutane contributed, especially because I didn't go out in the sun all that summer. As I live in a very dry climate with outrageously hot summers, that one summer off may have been a blessing.

I did not have any vaginal dryness problems to speak of, lucky I guess. sex does not hurt, but i'd rather sleep. (lol) Still the fatigue issues but we are looking at my iron and a couple of other things.

Of course the choice is yours, but I really can't say I have had any lasting negative side effects, only positive.

Old 03-13-2014, 07:03 PM   #22
    Kategoingforit
    (female)

Kategoingforit HB User
    Thumbs up Re: adults on accutane/isotretinoin?

[QUOTE=Fiche;5274045]Well, the doc took me off Accutane shortly after my last post...but my skin has remained fairly good since. I have so many more wrinkles at 51 that it is a bit depressing, but I don't know that Accutane contributed, especially because I didn't go out in the sun all that summer. As I live in a very dry climate with outrageously hot summers, that one summer off may have been a blessing.

I did not have any vaginal dryness problems to speak of, lucky I guess. sex does not hurt, but i'd rather sleep. (lol)

Thank you very much finch!!!
    Good luck with iron/fatigue

Closed Thread