It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• Acne Around Mouth Caused by Toothpaste?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-02-2013, 01:39 AM   #1
    Vallataa
    (male)

Vallataa HB User
    Acne Around Mouth Caused by Toothpaste?

Hello

First post, so be easy on me.

First of all, I have had semi-severe acne in the past, but it is going now (I will make a thread later on how my acne is disappearing now), but I still get some spots around my mouth... I have a feeling its the toothpaste. It seems that the spots come up between 1-2 and two days later IF I get toothpaste around my mouth. I especially get it on either sides of my mouth below my bottom lip, where toothpaste can seep from the mouth (as it does when it is so foamy!)...

This is all a theory but I would like to know if I have any validity in this claim, and if so, what exactly is it in the toothpaste that causes me get spots? I DO have sensitive skin, btw.

Thanks!

--Vallataa

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-02-2013, 05:22 AM   #2
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User
    Re: Acne Around Mouth Caused by Toothpaste?...

When I started using a toothpaste with a whitener in it, I started breaking out around my mouth, too. I switched to a sensitive formula toothpaste (sensedyne) and found that it stopped. Something in toothpaste, only certain toothpastes, seems to do the same thing to me.

Old 08-02-2013, 07:36 AM   #3
    Vallataa
    (male)

Vallataa HB User
    Re: Acne Around Mouth Caused by Toothpaste?...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MSNik View Post
    When I started using a toothpaste with a whitener in it, I started breaking out around my mouth, too. I switched to a sensitive formula toothpaste (sensedyne) and found that it stopped. Something in toothpaste, only certain toothpastes, seems to do the same thing to me.
    Do you been out when the toothpaste touches your skin or do you just simply breakout when using it, whether the paste touches your skin or not? And yep I'm using Colgate Max White... I remember a few months ago when I uses a dloyride free toothpaste from an health store that I had no spots around my mouth I don't think... So I'm wondering if there's a connection... Thanks for your reply!

Old 08-02-2013, 10:11 AM   #4
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User
    Re: Acne Around Mouth Caused by Toothpaste?

Valattaa,
    Im not really positive if it touched my mouth, or simply was IN my mouth- but believe it or not, thats the same toothpaste which made me breakout. I have used lots of brands from the healthfood store. I like Dr.Dentist and also Toms has a nice one...but the key is to find one which doesnt have sulfates in it. Believe it or not, Sesedyne Gel, doesnt have it and its 1/3 the price of healthfood brands..
    Nikki

Old 08-02-2013, 10:43 AM   #5
    Vallataa
    (male)

Vallataa HB User
    Re: Acne Around Mouth Caused by Toothpaste?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MSNik View Post
    Valattaa,
    Im not really positive if it touched my mouth, or simply was IN my mouth- but believe it or not, thats the same toothpaste which made me breakout. I have used lots of brands from the healthfood store. I like Dr.Dentist and also Toms has a nice one...but the key is to find one which doesnt have sulfates in it. Believe it or not, Sesedyne Gel, doesnt have it and its 1/3 the price of healthfood brands..
    Nikki
    Okay. I think for me I have a problem w/ it actually TOUCHING my skin (you know how you get toothpaste around your mouth? XD)... I'm not sure about it giving me problems w/ me simply brushing my teeth with it. Though I wouldn't rule that out.

I bought a more simple toothpaste, Oral B 1 2 3... it's their most simple toothpaste, nothing special, not specifically made for whitening and has none of the gimmicks like "crystals"... it does have a sulfate in it though, the same one as in Colgate Max White (funny how this same toothpaste gave you trouble, as well, may I add)... which is a bit concerning if the sulfate is the cause. The sulfate it: "Sodium Lauryl Sulfate".

May I ask, what is so bad about sulfates? I have heard of sulfates being problematic in other research of mine (I study holistic health)... but I have yet to really research sulfates.

Thanks for your reply again. Much appreciated indeed! :3

Closed Thread

Tags
    acne, toothpaste