It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• Accutane did not work for me now what

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-19-2013, 05:00 PM   #1
    AimingHigh1
    (male)

AimingHigh1 HB User
    Accutane did not work for me now what

I have been on Accutane on and off for about 20 years. I notice I have to take 20MG a day for about a month then a month off (breaking out again) which ever comes first. When I am off of it my skin gets massively oily and I breakout. I am almost in my 40's and have tried almost everything. Accutane seems to only work but I want a permanent solution. Has anyone had this problem at all? Let me know.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-19-2013, 10:47 PM   #2
    hakos3d
    (male)

hakos3d HB User
    Re: Accutane did not work for me now what

I used RoAccutane when I was 20 or so. I'm 32 now. I've had severe acne. RoAccutane, I am assuming it's the same as Accutane, is made by Roche. A very well known pharmaceutical company in Europe. I've been in the US for the last almost 11 years. My acne drastically reduced after using this medicine for about 3-4 months. I couldn't take it anymore. I was a strong body builder and lost a lot of strength. I couldn't lift the weights I used to lift. I went into severe depression for 3 days. Didn't get out of my room, thinking that I could hurt someone.

Though, after several years, I started to get acne again. But still, not as bad as it used to be. It killed my self-confidence as a youngster. It cleared up my face but I started to get backne. And they were HUGE! I came to the US and they were still HUGE. Right now I have a big one on the right side of my forehead. I thought I was at the first stages of becoming a unicorn... That bad. My acne did not stop whatever I used. I did EVERYTHING! So, guys, don't even ask me if I did this and that. I put my hope on everything!

I moved to my new house about 7 months ago. I still had the acne. We have a water filtering and softening system installed. The softening system basically uses a little bit of salt (sodium) to soften the water. A bag costs about 5 bucks. Remember, I still have acne. When I was at Lowe's I needed to get sodium bags. I then saw the potassium bags as supposedly a better alternative for 23 bucks!!! ***?? So, I said, hell, let me try this.

Within a few days I noticed my acne almost fully stopped! I didn't understand why it stopped. I was thinking what I had done differently recently. Then I remembered the potassium. But I was not really sure if it had anything to do with it. Anyways, a few weeks later I noticed I'm getting acne again. And the flavor of the water was different. I went to the basement and looked at the softener; no more potassium! I went ahead and grabbed a couple more bags of potassium. My acne stopped again! A couple days ago I noticed all of a sudden I started getting acne again! F!!!

I checked the softener. Potassium got depleted again. This time I used sodium to see if it will change anything with me acne. The acne is still there and I'm still getting more. I don't know if this is enough of a testing and if this will work on others. But, it's really weird. I put three bags of salt and it should be good for more than a month. I will watch the acne growth closely until I switch to potassium again. I guess if acne clears up with potassium again, it should prove that potassium is actually working (at least for my case).

I absolutely know how you guys feel. I feel anger for those pharmaceutical companies for not being able come up with a permanent solution. Maybe they have a solution already, but don't want us to have it, so that they can have us subscribed to their temporary solution.

I really wish you find your solution. I don't recommend Accutane to anyone, but I know that the feeling of being fed up with acne can leave you without options.

I hope other people can test what I did and post their findings. I think I just osted my longest post ever! I'm sorry if I bored any of you guys.

Old 12-20-2013, 12:04 PM   #3
    AimingHigh1
    (male)

AimingHigh1 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hakos3d View Post
    I used RoAccutane when I was 20 or so. I'm 32 now. I've had severe acne. RoAccutane, I am assuming it's the same as Accutane, is made by Roche. A very well known pharmaceutical company in Europe. I've been in the US for the last almost 11 years. My acne drastically reduced after using this medicine for about 3-4 months. I couldn't take it anymore. I was a strong body builder and lost a lot of strength. I couldn't lift the weights I used to lift. I went into severe depression for 3 days. Didn't get out of my room, thinking that I could hurt someone.

Though, after several years, I started to get acne again. But still, not as bad as it used to be. It killed my self-confidence as a youngster. It cleared up my face but I started to get backne. And they were HUGE! I came to the US and they were still HUGE. Right now I have a big one on the right side of my forehead. I thought I was at the first stages of becoming a unicorn... That bad. My acne did not stop whatever I used. I did EVERYTHING! So, guys, don't even ask me if I did this and that. I put my hope on everything!

I moved to my new house about 7 months ago. I still had the acne. We have a water filtering and softening system installed. The softening system basically uses a little bit of salt (sodium) to soften the water. A bag costs about 5 bucks. Remember, I still have acne. When I was at Lowe's I needed to get sodium bags. I then saw the potassium bags as supposedly a better alternative for 23 bucks!!! ***?? So, I said, hell, let me try this.

Within a few days I noticed my acne almost fully stopped! I didn't understand why it stopped. I was thinking what I had done differently recently. Then I remembered the potassium. But I was not really sure if it had anything to do with it. Anyways, a few weeks later I noticed I'm getting acne again. And the flavor of the water was different. I went to the basement and looked at the softener; no more potassium! I went ahead and grabbed a couple more bags of potassium. My acne stopped again! A couple days ago I noticed all of a sudden I started getting acne again! F!!!

I checked the softener. Potassium got depleted again. This time I used sodium to see if it will change anything with me acne. The acne is still there and I'm still getting more. I don't know if this is enough of a testing and if this will work on others. But, it's really weird. I put three bags of salt and it should be good for more than a month. I will watch the acne growth closely until I switch to potassium again. I guess if acne clears up with potassium again, it should prove that potassium is actually working (at least for my case).

I absolutely know how you guys feel. I feel anger for those pharmaceutical companies for not being able come up with a permanent solution. Maybe they have a solution already, but don't want us to have it, so that they can have us subscribed to their temporary solution.

I really wish you find your solution. I don't recommend Accutane to anyone, but I know that the feeling of being fed up with acne can leave you without options.

I hope other people can test what I did and post their findings. I think I just osted my longest post ever! I'm sorry if I bored any of you guys.
    I have never tried to use potassium. May be a potassium vitamin may help? I should give that a try.

Old 12-20-2013, 01:42 PM   #4
    movielover40
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

movielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB User

Acne is not a one drug works for all type of condition.

There are many different drugs for acne treatment. Have your Dermatologist try something else if it's not working right.

Best of luck...

Old 12-21-2013, 10:40 AM   #5
    hakos3d
    (male)

hakos3d HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by movielover40 View Post
    Acne is not a one drug works for all type of condition.

There are many different drugs for acne treatment. Have your Dermatologist try something else if it's not working right.

Best of luck...
    I agree. But even with dermatologist you won't have too much luck as they are only trying the options out there. I've just gotten tired of the whole thing. It's like everyone has a unique solution and not a generic one.

I've looked up for the relationship between potassium and acne and have seen that there ARE pills with potassium. My experience has been different, though. Just because topical application was successful doesn't mean that oral use will have the same result. May be it will be for you, good luck.

I keep having new ones coming out and some of them hurt, too. I can't wait to go back to use potassium in my water treatment again. I'm pretty sure that is my solution. It's just that nothing had been this effective before (not counting Accutane as it has severe side effects).

Old 12-22-2013, 03:12 PM   #6
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

Aiminghigh,
    Like you , I had tried Accutane 3 times between the age of 25-30. In my early 40s, the acne came back with a vengance, mostly cystic acne and it was horrible.
    I had gone through every topical on the market, every antibiotic, every wash and lotion/ potion and cream. I finally went to a medical laser center. It wasnt cheap. I spent about 1500$ for 6 treatments, each was 4 weeks apart, BUT, my acne is gone. Also, the scars I had are almost completely gone. I had 2 different types of lasers, the first was to shrink the sebaceous glands (oil glands) its a type of IPL laser. The second was Fraxel...which actually does destroy the top layer of your skin and new , healthy, scar free skin comes back. The down time for the first laser was only a weekend, so I had my treatments on Friday evenings..the Fraxel laser was more of about 5 days, but only the fist 3 were bad. The next two days, I went to work and looked more sunburned than anything. It was worth every bit of inconvenience and money. The pain was really minimal, although it hurts when you get it done, like a rubber band snapping- its not unbearable and its worth it. There is no pain once you are finished the treatment...

Fast forward 4 years..i look 1000 times better and no one can tell what I had suffered for years.

Nikki

Closed Thread

Tags
    accutane