It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• Moderate/severe acne, 19 year old female?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-25-2014, 06:19 AM   #1
    elanue
    (female)

elanue HB User
    Moderate/severe acne, 19 year old female?

Hi everyone! This is my first post here on healthboards, so I hope you can understand what I'm writing.

I have suffered from acne since I hit puberty, and it was pretty mild until I turned 16 or so. I started developing cysts on my cheeks, and it only got worse. I have tried antibiotics twice (acne came back after half a year, second time didn't work), I've tried contraceptive pills (didn't affect acne whatsoever). I've tried countless creams, and lots of vitamins, diets (gluten and dairy free), and they haven't worked either. My acne is just getting worse and worse, now it is on my forehead, it looks like a rash there. I still have it on my cheeks and also a bit on my chin, nothing on my jaw though.

I am pretty healthy, eat good and exercise every now and then. I'm underweight though, but it's probably genetic. My acne might be genetic too, I have three sisters who have all suffered from acne, and they had it pretty bad too, I believe. My acne is only on my face btw, I have very mild back and chest acne.

I have irregular and heavy periods, and they last about 7 days. With irregular I mean they often come 1-2 weeks after they're supposed to come. I think this irregularity got worse after I stopped taking the contraceptive pill though (by the end of April last year). What is going on in my body? I don't have excessive hair growth or a troublesome stomach. I sometimes feel a bit fatigued, have a lot of mood swings, anxiety and pretty bad PMS. Any ideas?

P.S. I see that this is in the wrong forum, but I don't know how to change it, sorry about that. :/

Last edited by elanue; 02-25-2014 at 06:24 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-25-2014, 12:49 PM   #2
    BostonMia
    (female)

BostonMia HB User
    Re: Moderate/severe acne, 19 year old female?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by elanue View Post
    Hi everyone! This is my first post here on healthboards, so I hope you can understand what I'm writing.

I have suffered from acne since I hit puberty, and it was pretty mild until I turned 16 or so. I started developing cysts on my cheeks, and it only got worse. I have tried antibiotics twice (acne came back after half a year, second time didn't work), I've tried contraceptive pills (didn't affect acne whatsoever). I've tried countless creams, and lots of vitamins, diets (gluten and dairy free), and they haven't worked either. My acne is just getting worse and worse, now it is on my forehead, it looks like a rash there. I still have it on my cheeks and also a bit on my chin, nothing on my jaw though.

I am pretty healthy, eat good and exercise every now and then. I'm underweight though, but it's probably genetic. My acne might be genetic too, I have three sisters who have all suffered from acne, and they had it pretty bad too, I believe. My acne is only on my face btw, I have very mild back and chest acne.

I have irregular and heavy periods, and they last about 7 days. With irregular I mean they often come 1-2 weeks after they're supposed to come. I think this irregularity got worse after I stopped taking the contraceptive pill though (by the end of April last year). What is going on in my body? I don't have excessive hair growth or a troublesome stomach. I sometimes feel a bit fatigued, have a lot of mood swings, anxiety and pretty bad PMS. Any ideas?

P.S. I see that this is in the wrong forum, but I don't know how to change it, sorry about that. :/

Hi there! Thought I would weigh in on your post as a female who had severe cystic acne in my teens, the only thing that did any good for me at all was going on Yasmin which cleared me about 95%. I definitely didn't have the best diet (gluten, dairy, sugar, caffeine, alcohol) you name it. My acne was hormonal for sure as I was clear until 16. Then BAM not good. Which BC pill were you on? How long were you on it?

Have you looked into Spironolactone at all? It is not a BC pill It is an off label treatment for women with hormonal acne (almost all acne is hormonal as you learn more about it). Happy to share more info or my experience with you. I just started experiencing another hormonal breakout (things shift over the years as a woman) at 32 and am back on Yasmin and Spiro to get clear and balance them out.

Sending you positive thoughts!

Closed Thread

Tags
    acne, irregular periods